Allowing children to eat food in shops before paying for it

Hybrid View

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did with my own children - only as others said from a barcoded item and as I paid before leaving it was not theft.

They never got into a paddy if I said no and wait till we get out, sometimes I was just being nice and they got the end off the baguette. I carry 'emergency rations'! but even those run out of we are out all day. Being a village bus user can mean a 2 hour wait for a bus if we miss one.

I have also had the odd bottle of water on my way round to take nurofen when headache was thumping and felt migraine starting. Paid of course.

I did feel a bit bad putting a mag back on the shelf after skimming through - this was a Christmas food shop with an hour and a quarter in the queue to pay they should have laid on entertainment!

I am never in a shop that long with mindees so snacks are in my bag anyway
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

sep-09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

the thing that would worry me is getting to the til and for some reason my card not going through and not being able to pay for the goods - never happened but could.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chez View Post
    the thing that would worry me is getting to the til and for some reason my card not going through and not being able to pay for the goods - never happened but could.
    I would always have enough cash for what they ate and the rest would have to go back!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do large shopping trips with mindee's end of - we pop in the shop and get stuff for an activity or snack etc. but its an outing that lasts less than 20 mins so its fab and exiting - so there has never ever been a need to feed a child from the shelf. I've never done it with my children and so they have never asked. Don't have any particular views about it being particularly good or bad - and if, for example, I had a child who had diabetes and needed sugar NOW and I was in a shop I would almost certainly feed before buying. But unless a child has a medical complaint or I have been rubbish and not provided a snack - no a child can wait until the appropriate time - which is when we get home - because they are not eating in my car either!! lol!
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...