Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curlycathy;1015528[COLOR="Green"
    ]When I was pregnant I nearly fainted in a supermarket and felt so embarrassed when the kind assistant insisted along with dh that I must drink something - had some bottles of fruit juice in trolley that she made me open. I was so scared I would forget to pay that as soon as we got to the checkout I insisted it was scanned and kept checking it had been [/COLOR]

But that is the only time. In my view its not mine til I've paid for it. Never allowed mindees to have anything and never allowed my own to have anything before I've paid for it. Don't care if they tantrum.

It doesnt do them any harm to wait a few minutes. We cant always have what we want when we want it - and it is wants not needs.

Am thinking there may be a correlation with the current debt crisis here....!!!
    I think that's counted as medicinal and First aid. Very different to grazing children and adults.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

dont agree with giving children food before been paid for it teaches them nothing only they can have what they want even if not paid for reminds me of pick n mix in woolies use to see kids helping themsleves... ive never done it with my son or mindees only thing my son use to have whille shopping with a car 49p back then now £1.29 each he use to have one each week and hold it till we got to tills then hand over money even from a young age... i admit ive had to open bottle of water recently went shopping at last night started choking couldn't stop and hubby took pk 4 water off shelf opened it give me a bottle so endded up paying for 4 bottles water i didnt want ...
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I am 56 and also one of the 'moaning old bats together club!'

I agree with you 100% Cupcake.
    June and I are 52 and 49 respectively so can we join the 'moaning old bats' club too please?

It is something that REALLY infuriates me!!! So its ok to let children think they can help themselves to food off the shelves because they are hungry. Whats wrong with feeding them first or making them wait a few minutes

In my opinion if you haven't paid for it you shouldn't eat/drink it. Its all very well saying well if its a multi pack you still pay for the whole pack, but the point is you haven't paid for it and until you do its not yours!!!!!!

I saw a man in Tesco's the other week stuffing a pasty in his mouth as quickly as he possibly could and then put the packet in his pocket, had absolutely no intention of paying for it (but thats another topic)

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I am 48 and would like to join the moaning old bats club too please.

I have never given my children or the mindees food when going around a supermarket and i never will. They have never complained and most have never asked. Those that have asked, i have explained they will get something wen we leave the supermarket or when we get home. I also don't allow eating or drinking in the car.

When we go to the supermarket it is to give the children experience, it is not to do my weekly shop and part of the experience is to teach the children how to behave to make the experience good for all of us, not just those who make the most noise.

If you haven't paid for it, then it is theft, even if you are going to pay for it at the till. You don't own it until you have paid for it and supermarkets don't like it and don't find it acceptable. I have a friend who works in a supermarket who says she doesn't get paid enough to talk to people who have eaten in the shop or who have allowed their children to eat in the shop who then turn around and say we were going to pay for it. She says i would be amazed at how many people forget. My friend has worked in a supermarket all her adult life and says that people never used to do this.
    If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with everything rickysmiths has said

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

well I'm backing the moaning ol bats although I am only 35
    I never let my kids minded or own eat round the shops,, they choose snacks and are told that they can have them when we have paid and are out of the shop.
    if children are bored when shopping then help get them involved in the shop not encourage them to eat through bordem.

Post Thanks / Like

I also must say don't agree with feeding children in a supermarket, snacking or otherwise. It is stealing and not a good example to set-if children are bored they should be taken to the park or do something they enjoy

By telling a child 'no' or 'we need to pay before you take something ' is not threatening a child but teaching them values. Children need guidelines and teaching children boundaries actually prepares them for everyday life. Kids do not make the rules but 'learnt behaviour' encourages children to do whatever they want!!!!!!!

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

No. I'm 47 and was bought up to pay for things first. I always have packets of raisons etc in my bag which the children can have if they are hungry to munch on round the shops. If for example, you buy pay by weight items and you give the children some to eat on the way round, then you will not be paying the correct amount for those items

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watgem View Post
    No. I'm 47 and was bought up to pay for things first. I always have packets of raisons etc in my bag which the children can have if they are hungry to munch on round the shops. If for example, you buy pay by weight items and you give the children some to eat on the way round, then you will not be paying the correct amount for those items
    Lol - thats the problem, we go shopping because weve run out of packets of raisins etc. Or they've eaten them already as we've been out all day!
    Also, everyone who has said they do allow it always make sure they don't give items that need to be weighed, but always make sure it's got a bar code, like from multipacks (such as, for us, organix cereal bars - boxes of 6, bags or boxed raisins, box of 4 smoothies etc)
    And like I said earlier, at checkout they offer to bin the empty wrapping! Really no problem at all lol!

(however, I wouldn't do it so much in certain areas where I know shoplifting is a problem, simply bc I don't want there to be a misunderstanding. I'm these occasions kids are happy to wait, as they understand there are exceptions to the rule. In our local tecsos they all know me and my kids anyway
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll join the old moaners club too.

Can't believe people are trying to justify themselves.

I assume all the minders who think this is acceptable aren't the ones that moan when their mindees parents pay them late. After all, it's ok because they're going to pay you in the end anyway.

Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW

So many replies, thanks to everyone.

If you all fancy a laugh go over to *****, I posted a similar thread on there about this subject, under the coffeehouse forum, entitiled 'I can't believe...'.

You will not believe what a slating I have received, fifteen pages of vitriol, lol. Much nicer people over here who can put their points of view without resorting to playground bullying. LOL.

Aug 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Helendee you definately caused a stir and can't believe it's still going on, I read about 10 pages of it before I got fed up.

I fully agree with you, and also think shops should actually put a stop to it
    Last edited by solly; 25-11-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by helendee View Post
    WOW

So many replies, thanks to everyone.

If you all fancy a laugh go over to *****, I posted a similar thread on there about this subject, under the coffeehouse forum, entitiled 'I can't believe...'.

You will not believe what a slating I have received, fifteen pages of vitriol, lol. Much nicer people over here who can put their points of view without resorting to playground bullying. LOL.
    you are surprised??? the bile outpouring over on *****.... they are entertainment if nothing else

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, i read half a dozen pages before i had to give up.

A lot of them were complaining that people should be minding their own business. The answer to that is i have taught my children and my mindees to wait until we have paid and left the shop, and for them to see other children doing something that they have always been told is wrong completely undermines everything they have been learning. So they are having an effect on other people by their actions.
    If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.

Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    you are surprised??? the bile outpouring over on *****.... they are entertainment if nothing else
    LOl Don't think they realise how funny they are.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn W View Post
    I'll join the old moaners club too.

Can't believe people are trying to justify themselves.

I assume all the minders who think this is acceptable aren't the ones that moan when their mindees parents pay them late. After all, it's ok because they're going to pay you in the end anyway.
    I think that is unfair. not paying for a service received a day, week or month late is not the same as not paying at the end of the shopping trip i.e. before you leave the premises where goods were received. a parent who takes their child home knowing the debt is unpaid is slightly different. I've never done it with mindees only my own two and only when they were very little.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

Default no

no no no no no no and no

Funny how i see it when i have to go to Asda but never when i go to Waitrose

Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's mamma View Post
    no no no no no no and no

Funny how i see it when i have to go to Asda but never when i go to Waitrose

Lol I can't imagine what you mean!

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    I think that is unfair. not paying for a service received a day, week or month late is not the same as not paying at the end of the shopping trip i.e. before you leave the premises where goods were received. a parent who takes their child home knowing the debt is unpaid is slightly different. I've never done it with mindees only my own two and only when they were very little.
    i certainly wasnt trying to justify myself if my son is hungry ill feed him if it means using the milk before iv paid for it he still isnt one yet and does not understand wait for food and i will do the same for my 12 day old daughter if needed

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

no way, if my kids were desperate for the item i would go through the checkouts and get a receipt, its much easier now that they have self serve tills now.
    karen

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast