Hybrid View

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Assumptions...

I just love the way people make assumptions. Todays have been:
    1) Another childminder telling me that I am far stricter than her - she has never seen me at home and only seen me on the school run when I have a 7 yo with ADHD who takes a hell of a lot of management!

2) Parent assuming that i mind just because I love it an =d not for the fact that I need to earn a living. My dh and I own our house and have 2 cars- one of which is my dh company car. The parent assumes because of the above that I do not need the money. I work to a very tight budget each month and have debts to pay but because we own our house he thinks we are not in need of the money.

Mind you I am loving the minding!

Oct 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Assumptions...

yes I love the minding and the convenience that it brings to our family life, but I sometimes feel that 'outsiders' think it is a game that I play because it keeps me busy rather than 'going out to work' .

when I say 'outsiders' I do not mean my present clients, they see me at the end of the day frazzled and weary from the stresses that some days can bring, but also the fun and laughter that one small child can start

May '08
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not actually minding yet and already had comments along the lines of 'ooh you'll be raking it in' and 'aw what a nice easy job' I am fed up to the back teeth of explaining paperwork, courses, observations.......lol I only received the registration cert yesterday hehe x
    Sammie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I get fed up with 'how doooo you cope with that lot?'... Well, errr, it's my job!!

Wonder how they'd feel if I went to their place of work and asked them how they coped with their job...do you think they might be a touch insulted??

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly Sarah. When they tell me they wouldn't do my job, I say well I sure wouldn't do you yours either!

And why do people ALWAYS have to comment on how many children I have with me? "On your own today then?"
    Well yes even I get a day off from time to time!

Or "You've got your hands full today!"
    Well thats my job
    I work hard for my pennies

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

People think I have had a buggy attached to me for the last 11 years! I had a day off once with hubby (my dad had actually passed away) and went to school to pick up my own children and left the baby with hubby. You wouldnt believe how many people commented on the fact that I wasnt pushing a pram. Mind you I didnt know what to do with my hands.
    Annie x

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susi513 View Post
    Exactly Sarah. When they tell me they wouldn't do my job, I say well I sure wouldn't do you yours either!

And why do people ALWAYS have to comment on how many children I have with me? "On your own today then?"
    Well yes even I get a day off from time to time!

Or "You've got your hands full today!"
    Well thats my job
    I work hard for my pennies
    These are excactly the comments I get every day, off the same people every day too

Helen