Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default reins or wrist cuffs?

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on reins and wrist cuffs for lo's.
    Do other people use these or is it just me?
    I sometimes have 2 lo's 21 months and 22 months who can both walk well and I feel bad keeping them strapped into a buggy when I know that walking would do them good, but i get sick of running in opposite directions and around the school play area trying to rein them in! I feel a bit like a sheep dog trying to get the herd through a gate sometimes!!!
    So I recently got 2 sets of reins that can also be taken apart and used as wrist cuffs. I have used them both ways and don't feel that i have much 'control' of the lo's when the have the wrist cuff on, for example when lo falls over in reins i can help him up, but when lo fell in the wrist cuff he only had one hand to put down as I had hold of the other one!
    I also get some very funny looks from other parents when I use either, it's like i've put the lo's in some sort of tourture device!!!

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use both depending on how far we are walking. Wrist cuffs for short distances and reigns for longer distances.
    I to get funny looks but I need them to keep the children safe.
    Love Amanda

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I use reins

Hi, I use reins regularly - does feel like walking a dog sometimes but keeps the children safe. I have a 20 month old and 22 month old but only let one walk at a time if using roads etc as found it too difficult with both walking. I have used a wrist strap on 3 year old in the past as she was a runner and I had to keep her close. I find wrists straps are better for older ones as they are more stable on their feet. Works for me and I just ignore the funny looks from parents.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I use them every day

They are a life saver for me.

I take 4 to childminders drop in, ages 18 months, 2 1/2 years, 3 years, and 3 1/2 years and use them from the carpark to the entrance because they get really excited and I can not trust them not to wander. I also use them while I drop off at nursery from the carpark to the entrance.

I dont really care what people think because safety is the most important thing for me and I know that people will say you need to teach the lo's to be road aware and not to run away but it takes seconds for a child to wander away. I can not run in 4 directions.
    I think carparks are really dangerous because cars are reversing and you can not see a toddler in your back mirror.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use reins - and unhook one end of 'lead' to give a bit more length if I need it.

Don't worry about other people - safety matters and they show you are aware of it
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine wear reins until they go to school, as they get older I start letting go so they practice road safety but it's just what happens before we leave the house, shoes, coat and reins on every time. the children love their reins, they have made little badges and know which one belongs to who.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always used reins. Remember to include their use on your permission forms.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I use reins and a lifesaver backpack. Some of the little ones hate them but they soon learn to love them once they relise they will have to go in the buggy if they dont have them on.

They are for the childrens safety and if people dont like that tuff. They will never learn to walk nicely being strapped in a buggy till they start school. It teaches them to not run off.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have never had to use reins but would if I had a runner. I've been lucky the few children I've had that tend to play up have been either happy to hold a wrist strap or the threat that it is there is enough. If they tended to run off all the time, I'd use the reins.

I have 2 x 2 1/2 year olds that walk holding a strap attached to my buggy handle.

If you have a runner reins are safer due to damage to wrists I think
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like wrist straps because I don't like the thought of pulling on their arm, but I do use reigns / Backpack.

I never seen to get children who are happy to stay close (mine included) and although they are happy to walk nicely and stay close most of the time they do then have a tendancy to leg out of the blue. Or want to run off and play in the busy playground at Drop-off and pick-up.

I use them as a back up, in that if walking along they have to hold on to the buggy or my hand so they learn what is expected but then the strap is looped around my wrist.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use reins. I don't like the thought of wrist straps as I would find it so irritating having something pulling my arm if I was a child (never used them, so forgive me if I am wrong). I also prefer reins because I think it would be easier for the little ones to bend down and pick up a conker or a stone etc. I don't get funny looks because everyone uses them around here.

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi - I prefer reins (just a personal preference). I don't care if people stare at me, or if they don't like 'em - I'd much prefer having a safe and secure little one. I have two 2yo's 3 days a week, and it's a pain getting the double buggy up and down kerbs etc, so I tend to put the one who is the better walker on the reins and the other in the single buggy, which works well for me. That's only on school runs - other times they're out of the buggy as much as possible (at parks etc). I've found with the wrist straps, that they can wiggle out of them, unless I do them up really tightly and cut off their blood supply!!!!!! So, reins for me every time

Hels xx

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer reins too. I've never particularly liked the wrist straps. I've always felt that with wriststraps, if the child is a runner they are more likely to end up hurting themselves either by getting entwined with other people/pushchairs etc or because when they fall they may be at full stretch and therefore can't use the strapped hand to break their fall/for balance etc IYSWIM. With reins I find that I can usually my strength to 'brake' a fall but it still leaves the child with two free hands to help themselves.
    I only keep children on reins until I feel confident that they will walk holding onto the pushchair. I have a short strap either side of the pushchair for them to hold if necessary, because I have one 3 yr old who is quite small and she has a habit of tripping over the pushchair wheels if she's holding onto the handle. The strap gives her that bit more space. In this case though it is a strap for her to hold, not a strap that's holding her IYSWIM.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never used either and never will, I think they are awful, that's my opinion and can't see it changing.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sillysausage View Post
    I have a short strap either side of the pushchair for them to hold if necessary, because I have one 3 yr old who is quite small and she has a habit of tripping over the pushchair wheels if she's holding onto the handle. The strap gives her that bit more space. In this case though it is a strap for her to hold, not a strap that's holding her IYSWIM.
    i too have 'magic handles' on my buggies, and use reins most of the time for all under 3's and over if a 'flight risk'. i'm always getting positive comments about children wearing reins. i usually hold their hands, or they hold the magic handles and loop the reins around my wrist, so i've 'got them' should i need to, but they feel in control.

i don't like wrist straps as too easy for a child to slip them off!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used reins and backpacks in the past. I'm not keen on wrist straps for their intended use, but I do attach them to the buggy so children can hold on to them- like someone else said, I find they trip over the wheels if they hold the buggy.

Post Thanks / Like

I use reins but only if I think the child needs them, I can't remember the last time I used them though. I've always got some in my bag just in case but don't really have to use them very often.

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like wrist straps as my dd gets 'pulled elbow' and they could cause a sort of dislocation if pulled (even quite gently) I like reins under 2 then the backpacks when they are steady on their feet x

oct 00
    Post Thanks / Like

reigns for me to ! dont like the idea of wrist straps must pull on the littlies wrists , also for more lengh if appropriate i unclip one side of the reigns .

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have always used reins with my own and minded little ones.

I offer older children the wrist strap if they are not able to walk next to me and hold onto the buggy to be safe but they usually remember to hold on when I take the strap out of my bag for them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast