Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    june 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default abit of advice please

hi all havn't been on for a while as really busy but i've been asked by one of my parents if her sister would be able to do a voluntary placement with me for her childcare course. my problem is that i don't want to commit to as i will be giving up in the new year and moving town but obviously i don't want to tell them this yet as i dont really want to have to tell the parent yet as dont want to ;ose work to early.

any suggestions on what i could say to them instaed.
    /joschildminding

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would be honest with the parent. When you say giving up in the New Year - well its November now. If that was me - i'd want to give them more than the minimum notice to ensure they could find alternative care for the child/ren. Just because you tell them you are finishing and moving - doesn't mean they will remove from care after 4week - it might take them 8 weeks to find someone else.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just say you will have to check with Ofsted by letter and see if it OK.

That will buy you another 4 weeks until the start of Dec when you will have to give notice anyway.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

june 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

saying new year it will be february at the earliest. this parent only comes in holidays aswell.
    /joschildminding

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

if you don't want to do it just blame it on your insurance etc - or say, no i'm sorry but i don't feel comfortable with that - if you offend them it doesn't matter anyway! lol
    Blessed Be!

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't tell about moving until you have to.

I have to move due to DH's job, and so we put our house up for sale and I naturally had to tell parents as there was a for sale sign outside my house. Even though they were all happy with the care I provide, and it could take at least 12 months to sell in the present climate, they all decided to look for an alternative childminder straight away. Within 6 weeks of me telling them I was moving at some point in the future, they all found alternative care and gave me 4 weeks notice.

With hind sight I would not have told them, and would have marketed my house for sale without an estate agents board outside. This may sound devious, but I am now left without a steady income, and only my "ad hoc" mindees.
    Good luck with your move

june 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Pootle View Post
    I wouldn't tell about moving until you have to.

I have to move due to DH's job, and so we put our house up for sale and I naturally had to tell parents as there was a for sale sign outside my house. Even though they were all happy with the care I provide, and it could take at least 12 months to sell in the present climate, they all decided to look for an alternative childminder straight away. Within 6 weeks of me telling them I was moving at some point in the future, they all found alternative care and gave me 4 weeks notice.

With hind sight I would not have told them, and would have marketed my house for sale without an estate agents board outside. This may sound devious, but I am now left without a steady income, and only my "ad hoc" mindees.
    Good luck with your move
    weve managed tp put house up for sale without sign for now thankfully, using an online agent so still on all the right sites for internet browsers.
    /joschildminding

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

'I'll check with OFSTED' should buy you a few weeks.

'She will have to be CRB checked' will buy you a few weeks/months..

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell them you are not comfortable with it and you think it would be more beneficial for their daughter to do a placement with someone she doesn't know. (this is probably true anyway) You can help them find another childminder who would be prepared to do it, its a free extra of hands so I'm sure someone will do it.