Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "base"

Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "base"

Hi all - I have another question (sorry )

Do any of your mindees/own children have a 'base' where they like to play? I have a downstairs loo, that's in a little utility type area (not enough space to swing a cat) but they seem to have 'adopted' it as their base. Obviously, I don't particularly want them playing around the toilet and I'm racking my brains as to where they could have this base (it's a big part of their games, so I don't want to take it away from them or deter them in any way). My problem is, I don't have a mansion so space is sorely lacking. I wondered if anyone had any tips etc?

Reading this back, it seems a really weird question!!!

Hels xx

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine all go under my dining room table! We sometimes put sheets over it. I also have a dark den and a little tepee tent that are used at times. Otherwise they find a corner of the room and we adapt it.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have a bed net which we hang from the ceiling over a large bean bag and the LO's love it, they use it for all sorts. We got it from Ikea about £7

We clip alsorts of things to it depending on our theme, holidays, celebrations etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

see now what I would probably do is build a wooden box that is open at the back and the bottom that slips over and around the toilet. Then I would probably paint it and screw switches and mirrors on it. That way they can keep their base - but without playing close to the loo and the box can simply be slipped off when they are not using the base but are using the loo. Or if you paint it in chalk board paint they or you can draw anything on there to make the box into something - cooker, washing mashine, rocket controls etc. That way it is multi purpose if you want to take the box to somewhere else in the house.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

mine also love it under the table, but we have been known to move furniture and drape old bed sheets over it. At the moment I have a huge box stuffed with cushions and old sheets that they like to eat snack in, and hide animals, I once found 100 zoo and farm animals in there!!

Post Thanks / Like

My house isn't big enough for them to have a base but I'm planning on getting a my-kea play frame so they can make one in the living room.

http://www.my-kea.co.uk/children.html

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a long hallway, front door at one end and back door at the opposite end. They love running up and down it, but the end by the back door is used loads- usually as a lift! 'press the buttons' 'going up' 'going down' 'lets get out' - bless them!

Post Thanks / Like

Ours also love it under the dining room table!!! I have put "curtains" on net curtain wire attached under mine because there is always so much stuff on the top when they want a den This way I just attach the curtains and don't have to move everything to put a cover over it!!!

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

as always, some great ideas there - thanks all

Hels xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved reading this thread!

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine like the hallway. Particularly getting up on the pew and sitting on it waiting for me to come and get them off it (they're not allowed on it as my notice boards sit on the top of it) and banging on the front door.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    We have a bed net which we hang from the ceiling over a large bean bag and the LO's love it, they use it for all sorts. We got it from Ikea about £7

We clip alsorts of things to it depending on our theme, holidays, celebrations etc.
    Damn, I nearly bought one of these last Saturday when I was in Ikea. I wish I had now. Originally wanted it for DD's bed then worked out it wouldn't work for her so thought about buying it for the playroom but didn't. I'll have to have a look for other similar ones as I doubt I'll be going back to Ikea anytime soon

xxxx

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did some research around this when I was doing my degree, it was really interesting. If you watch young children play they often want to play in "hidden" places, so anywhere enclosed or where adults can't directly see them.
    I have a big toy cupboard which is really only for storage but I have had days where the 3-4 year olds spend the entire afternoon in there. I keep a couple of blankets in the living room so we can make dens using the corners of the room or the clothes horse. and often get big cardboard boxes for them.
    I love the idea of the curtains round the table so will be talking to my mum nicely tomorrow to get her to make some - she's already done me a set for the garden which hang from a pergola around a small decked area.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done lots of research on this too for my degree. Have a look here for some inspiration.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The childminder bag sounds good but think I'll have to make do with curtains round my table for now!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    The childminder bag sounds good but think I'll have to make do with curtains round my table for now!
    The resources are not cheap I agree but the ethos of Communication Friendly Spaces is great.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My son likes pushing te sofa away from the wall to create a den behind it!

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Communiction Friendly spaces is the cornerstone for Ecat, and Elizabeth Jarman is the guru on the subject. You can also have a look at a website me and another local Cm put together after we finished the pilot (ecat4childminders.webs.com) there is a whole section of CFS. The bags that she mentions - you might want to check with your local childrens centre - I know many of our local centres have a stash which you can loan. They are really simple things that you could make yourself - a bedsheet, a bathmat and a basket of 'stuff' can make a little den if draped over a small table or chairs with a basket of stuff to explore and talk about.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 of the 4 fold cloths airers which we make dens out of using blankets and materials,, in the holidays it would become a den for the older ones and termtime a place for the dollys to live, ( i have different children term time and holiday times) I also have a tent in the shape of a dinosaur which they love.

Dec 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all good ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast