Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lincsminder View Post
    Surely I cant be the only one that eats out of date food. I wont even begin to tell you the date on the eggs we just had for tea. The dates are only a guide, most things if kept in the right condition eg the fridge/freezer or cool cupboard will last a lot longer than the date suggests. I allways use my instinct and smell/ look at the produce before deciding if it is fit to eat. And guess what I havn't had a day off ill in 10 years and have a very healthy family who are also never ill, I think they have only been sick a handful of times and that is generally when half the school are off with a tummy bug so nothing to do with the food we eat lol.
    LOVE IT!
    dispite having worked in catering all working life until kids i still eat stuff, in date or not! for me milk has at least four days after useby if skimmed or semi, in the end its the fat that goes rancid! won't touch reheated too much or rice as they get nasty, but yeah eggs toatlly, i get fresh ones from my neightbour but will eat them weeks and weeks later sometimes, if it doesn't walk out the pan it's edible!
    To be fair though i'd have opened it and sniffed first out of curiosity but if you had a food poisioning outbreak you'd have to tell ofsted!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lincsminder View Post
    Surely I cant be the only one that eats out of date food. I wont even begin to tell you the date on the eggs we just had for tea. The dates are only a guide, most things if kept in the right condition eg the fridge/freezer or cool cupboard will last a lot longer than the date suggests. I allways use my instinct and smell/ look at the produce before deciding if it is fit to eat. And guess what I havn't had a day off ill in 10 years and have a very healthy family who are also never ill, I think they have only been sick a handful of times and that is generally when half the school are off with a tummy bug so nothing to do with the food we eat lol.
    We are the same!! We eat things that are past their 'best' date!! Again, it's an instinct thing, you can kind of tell. Frubes are Fromage Frais, so slightly different to yoghurt. I think the longest out of date that's still been 'ok' for us on frubes was 5 days though!! I'm sure I binned a six day one a few weeks back. Saying that though, they don't last that long in here at the minute. I have some fussy eaters (my chicken boy, his sister and a few others) and they can go through three each (more if I'd let them) at EVERY meal!! That can be 9 per person per day sometimes!!!! x
    Just when I find the key to success, someone comes along and changes all the locks!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not overly fussy about dates myself, depending on what food it is- but for children i'm more careful. I wouldn't have given it to them.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a fairly relaxed attitude to use by and especially best before dates but...................................

Will admit to being very ill a couple of weeks ago with food poisoning by eating pre packed cooked chicken past its used by date. I actually had an inkling when i was eating it that it was past is best but for some unknown reason still ate it.

i was very ill all night, had to take the day off work and wasnt really better until about 4 days later.

I am a wee bit more carsful now. But as someone said if it looks and smells ok its more than likely ok.

My chicken did have a slightly funny smell!!!!!

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

for all those that eat past best before and use by...

doing for yourself and your family is fine, but for minded children if you are providing food is an absolute no no!!!

if you have an outbreak of suspected food poisoning you will have to report to environmental health and ofsted, they will then investigate, look at your food receipts which you must save...

if they then find out you gave food out of the dates then you could be found negligent and lose your registration!!!!!!!
    boo

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

for all those that eat past best before and use by...

doing for yourself and your family is fine, but for minded children if you are providing food is an absolute no no!!!

if you have an outbreak of suspected food poisoning you will have to report to environmental health and ofsted, they will then investigate, look at your food receipts which you must save...

if they then find out you gave food out of the dates then you could be found negligent and lose your registration!!!!!!!
    Agreed! I won't even risk it with my own son let alone a minded child.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12