Need a little help !! with different ages
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a little help !! with different ages

Hi Ive had 5 children today (2 x 8 ys/ 2 x3 yrs and 10mth old) Not been feeling 100% last few days nothing catchy just alittle off food and a cough but tired me out.

Anyhow had 5 children today and really struggled. Everyone wanted me to join in their game but didnt all want to play same game ?9elder ones didnt wnat to play young games and obviously younger ones not old enough to play older games and well LO started on the move last weekend..Manged to sit down finally at 5.30 .

Well I took them to the park. Older ones (ds and friend ) went upstairs for a little while. Lo's didnt want to do the same thing and need eyes at the back of my head for baby lol.Did some colouring , duplo everything I could think of. Struggled to make snacks. put out lunch without someone kicking off about something .

How do you manage . After one went got a little easier then other one went and just left with older ones and 3year old got easier. Only happens once a week but already dreading next week. Any advice- especially if raining..not all children into same things and one mindee odesnt like sharing , wants my attention all the time etc

Thanks for any advice given,.....

One totally worn out girl..admire those of you who do this every day all day and every week a you are a credit to you job. and those who manage to have more than 5 children and stay sane and not go grey I admire you more and whats your secret xx

BuggsieMoo Guest

I sometimes have

My own 4 aged 4, 6, 8 and 9
    Mindees aged 4, 5, 9 and 17 months

It is hard! Time and patience and you will find it gets easier.

I try to do an activity for the elder ones and encourage the younger ones to join in - my lot are very good and share.

The 17th month old tends to led me into what she wants to do. x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to get all the children out to the local park every morning 10 - lunchtime. They're all a bit more relaxed after a run about! Baby's have a sleep and I have a planned acivity for the remaining children. Older children usually need something to do but not too much support so that I can help the younger ones a bit more.

It does get easier! x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

On Monday I had a 2.5yr old and a 4yr old who played together (both girls, so a bit of falling out about who was in charge..lol)

A 6yr old, 7yr old and 8yr old who generally play together well.

My dd 9yrs and her friend the same age who seems to be here a lot nowadays. (Keeps my DD entertained which is good)

During the school hoildays I'm more realxed with things, no rushing about on school runs etc. I leave the children to play while I supervise. They all get on really well and whilst they are playing I can have a well deserved sit down.
    Dont feel pressured to join in all the time, they will be quite happy to play without you otherwise a 10hr shift with 7 children would be very exhausting. We went to the park in the afternoon and I always choose the quiet park it was nice to be able to keep an eye on everyone whilst pushing the 2yr old in the swing.
    Becky x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bexc View Post
    During the school hoildays I'm more realxed with things, no rushing about on school runs etc. I leave the children to play while I supervise. They all get on really well and whilst they are playing I can have a well deserved sit down.
    Dont feel pressured to join in all the time, they will be quite happy to play without you otherwise a 10hr shift with 7 children would be very exhausting. We went to the park in the afternoon and I always choose the quiet park it was nice to be able to keep an eye on everyone whilst pushing the 2yr old in the swing.
    Becky x
    Same as Becky really. I've had 8mth, 2yr, 3yr, two x 6yrs and an 8yr old. I tend to leave them to it but have something up my sleeve for distraction if the bickering starts. We get out somewhere everyday even if it is just to nip out to Asda and a cheapy snack in the cafe. I chose carfeully which park to go tocarefully so I know I can keep them safe.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have 4 regularly but three are my own kids so its not quite the same.

My advice is think about toddler groups... i run two and we have the staple of playdough, which all kids love and building bricks. then i'd make some snacks together??
    Muffin bases with tomato passata and cheese, older ones create masterpieces, middle ones make a mess and stick baby in chair with dollop of passata as that is a great eyfs link, markmaking, communication etc.
    It will be a messy day but fun!!

baking is a good way to keep older ones and middles ones entertained, i leave little ones on the kitchen floor with all my baking trays and pans.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

there are two of us as my sister is my assistant. Today we had a 1y, 2y, 3, 3, 4y, 6ym 7y, 10y and 12y. The 12y old helped by taking photos the two 3y olds played lovely together, the 10y and 7 y played and the 4y, 6y and 1y all played together. It was manic at times, especially as I had to feed them all, and the house was a wreck at the end with toys all over the floor but they all shared and played beautifully together. I often find the more you have the more they keep each other amused and play together.

Helen x