Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Medical form

Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Medical form

Mindee may have asthma . Doctors wont confirm because of age. Anyway lo has an inhaler as can get very chesty. Looked at medical forms from mm and they need to be completed each time n parent sign etc.alot of filling in Mindee picked up n collected from school where I drop off. Can I make up a form for parent to complete stating I can administer as and when required and mum just sign my comment book that goes home each night ( comment book is for any queries either parent or myself may have as do not always have chance to chat do school runs etc.
    In comment book I can advise time and date given and mum just sign instead of sending a new form each time . Does that make sense. Alot less hassle than getting file out and completing as comment book with diary.
    Can I do this and is there any particular wording I need to use for main form ???

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure of the legal side of things, but just a thought - what if this diary goes missing?! Would you have any proof of what was took and when? Hope this makes sense. x
    Just when I find the key to success, someone comes along and changes all the locks!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The form I use has space for quite a few entries so you'd not need a new one each day. Can you use the book daily but keep a record on your form that Mum signs and back dates when you see her?

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a continuous treatment form for inhalers but yes, I do get parents to sign each dose. My own 2 are often on 4 hourly inhalers and having a log is really helpful for A and E admissions etc - the parent signing will cover you but you really do need to keep a copy. Once the book goes home they can remove the page or similar and you'll be liable for not giving inhaler if anything happens.

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it you need to record and get the parents permission for every dose you administer - I wouldn't have this in a book which could easily get lost.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have an overarching permission slip...

The childminder can administer the inhaler if the child's condition worsens.

Signed & dated by parents and reviewed 3 monthly.

I then have a signature sheet...

The childminder has administered xx doses of medication at xx time.

I then have a procedure for when the medication is administered...

The childminder will administer 2 puffs of blue inhaler if the child appears wheezy or is coughing. The childminder will make every attempt to contact parents before medication is administered however the child's health will be put first. The childminder has been advised by medical practitioners and Asthma UK that you cannot overdose a blue inhaler.

I have similar for emollients for eczema and other medication which is best given when needed.

However if it's medication which arrives with the child then I use a different procedure and it must be signed for that morning and I must know when it was last given.

Hth

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I have an overarching permission slip...

The childminder can administer the inhaler if the child's condition worsens.

Signed & dated by parents and reviewed 3 monthly.

I then have a signature sheet...

The childminder has administered xx doses of medication at xx time.

I then have a procedure for when the medication is administered...

The childminder will administer 2 puffs of blue inhaler if the child appears wheezy or is coughing. The childminder will make every attempt to contact parents before medication is administered however the child's health will be put first. The childminder has been advised by medical practitioners and Asthma UK that you cannot overdose a blue inhaler.

I have similar for emollients for eczema and other medication which is best given when needed.

However if it's medication which arrives with the child then I use a different procedure and it must be signed for that morning and I must know when it was last given.

Hth
    Hi sarah .

Lo's inhaler is in bag everyday don't administer any other medication creams etc. I might use your idea and get parent to resign every couple of months - if you don't mind??

It is difficult for me to contact parent as they work in a supermarket so Jo mobiles allowed . Would be difficult to contact especially if I need to administer most days don't think work would be impressed n sure parents would agree . Will think abt the wording. Parent happy with me administering as my own ds suffers with the same type of asthma and parent kind if a friend from ds's school x

That's a great help
    Thank you everyone xx