Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the tantrums have landed !!!

oh my goodness, ear plugs are needed !!

the tantrums have started how do you all deal with them?

were having one because I wont let my mindee climb the stairs on his own (he's 16 months!) !!

I am sure my neighbours wonder what the hell is going on! I have just left him to cry the tantrum out but he has a ear peircing scream, it went on for 10 mins. Is this what you all do?

c x

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Distraction works well for some and for others you need to leave them to calm down at their own pace

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good:-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I know what it is like I have a 1 year old!!! yes you did see that right she was 1 in april and if someone has a toy she wants she will throw herself to the floor screaming hysterically, she goes red in the face and it can last up to 10-15 minutes.The screaming is ear splitting She will do it randomly even if she is playing with something else. I think to myself if she is like that now what will she be like when the terrible 2's hit!! I do try to ignore it if I can and remove her from hearing distance of the others if they are still playing. What else can you do? Nothing that I can think of.

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually

- remove from situation (i.e. carry screaming child away from stairs)
    - explain calmly why it is dangerous/not a good idea/other reasons
    - try to distract (usually works by just moving away)

If they are a little older (16 months is still very young i think, I'm thinking 2+ here), I ignore any crying/tantrums for no reason or a very silly reason. I will explain what is going on but won't react to the crying and usually within less than 60 seconds they stop

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have stone steps in my garden, which are fenced off but he wanted to climb them, I explained that he will hurt himself but he decided to stamp his feet and then dropped to the floor.

I brought him inside so he wasn't to hurt himself on the paving and I let him cry the tantrum out. It took about 10 minitues but he very calmly walked into the kitchen smiling and then we sat down for lunch

I think he is of that age that if I give into his crying and tantrums he will do it all the more so I am just going to give ignoring the tantrum a go.

c x

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

My own daughter now 9yr old, had the terrible twos at 18 months old, but for some reason she would only tantrum in the kitchen and did not like anyone to see her.
    If she tantrumed upstairs, she would come downstairs to carry on in the kitchen.
    Quite handy really

She had worse tantrums at 4yrs old mind you.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Only lasted 10 minutes???? Lucky you!

I used to care for one little boy who could carry on for up to an hour and used to bang his head hard on the floor.

The paediatrician said not to worry he wouldn't do any permanent damage and just to do as before - ignore and offer other activities for when he was finished and a cuddle if he needed one.

Hugs xx

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My nicece whi I sometimes mind use to have tantrums where she would just throw herself on the floor. Not sure how she never hurt herself.

She is 4 nw and seems to have grown out of them lukily