Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Deciding on certain aged children

Hi All

I am curious to know if anyone has decided not to take children under one or a particular age group.

I am thinking when I become registered not to take on under ones straight away. I am wanting to get more organised and enjoy the older ones before I decide on under ones.

Just looking for people's experience if they have decided not to take a certain age, and if they feel that decision was the right one.

Thanks x

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I take on what fits best for me and other mindees I have at the time. When my children were young it was nice to have children of similar ages to play together.

I don't take on 3 non walkers - wouldn't have a baby and 2 x 1 yr olds. I have no desire to get a triple buggy and don't drive so need to be able to use the bus with them all. It just wouldn't work for me.

I don't do schoolies as I don't want school runs runs now mine are teens but do have some older ones in school hols and inset days ad hoc - past mindees who never quite leave

You need to do what is best for you
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi i decided not to take any over 8's lol
    Purely because in the past i had difficult mindees and it affected my care of the under 5's.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cherie View Post
    Hi i decided not to take any over 8's lol
    Purely because in the past i had difficult mindees and it affected my care of the under 5's.
    I am the same, they are difficult when they get to that age. Its harder to juggle all the children when you have huge age gaps, having said that my DS is now 8 and would probably like someone of a similar age to play with

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Financially I wasnt in a position to be picky so have a wide range of ages. In an ideal world I would have lots of enquiries and be able to cherry pick the ones I prefer , but not in the real world. You may be luckier than me and be in a high demand area though , so good luck x

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I stick to preschoolers.

My own boys get buses to and from school - picked up outside the house and it is just too much hassle for me to get up to school to drop off and pick up so i don't do it.

I'm in Scotland so we don't have the over 8's rule - all kids including my own who are now 8, 11 and 14 count in my numbers so i keep my spaces for full days.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I consider whether the children will work well together.

I also aim to have a spread of ages so that I don't have, for example, more than 2 non walkers in the double buggy

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all part timers so some days I only have 3 and 4 year Olds and other days I have 4 non walkers (. 3 just tottering) it works for me, every day is different. I don't take on schoolies unless they are home grown

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't take on anyone older than my own eldest child (7yrs). I also after past experience don't take on under 1's. At the moment it's a nice mix of 19mths, 2yrs, 3yrs, two x 5yrs and 7yrs.

You will work out what's best for you as you go along

xxxxx

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

mine are 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10

Oh and just about to take on a 6 month old

I think it's nice for the lo's to have a few older ones round especially the ones that have no brothers and sisters. But I also think its nice to have ones similar age so they have someone to play with

At the moment we are taking them if they fit in with our spaces. We let parents know what ages we have so they can choose for themselves
    Last edited by kel1983; 17-06-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just try and make sure all the children will gel together, but sometimes you can't pick and choose it just depends on how much work is available in your area.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I really worry about taking the under one's only because if Ofsted allow me to mind I want to concentrate on pre-school and do lots with them. i worry if I take a baby on I wont be able to give my full attention to the others.

I love babies but know how much hard work they can be.
    I would like some after schoolies also as my youngest who is 9 would quite like people her own age to play with after school.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missnaughty View Post
    I really worry about taking the under one's only because if Ofsted allow me to mind I want to concentrate on pre-school and do lots with them. i worry if I take a baby on I wont be able to give my full attention to the others.

I would like some after schoolies also as my youngest who is 9 would quite like people her own age to play with after school.
    That's fine - you can always advertise that you have vacancies for X and X age children.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

preschoolers for me
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

after schoolies only for me

6 hours a day all to myself, hardly any paperwork, children who can decide for themselves what to do and when to do it and no nappies

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missnaughty View Post

This is exactly the reason I no longer take under 1's. I found out the hard way though

xxxxx

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nokidshere View Post

6 hours a day all to myself, hardly any paperwork, children who can decide for themselves what to do and when to do it and no nappies
    thats what i'd love to do! i did aim to do it by last september but just didnt get any calls so had to stick with little ones! but i love doing after schools, the ones i have at the moment all get on great together, play lovely, and my daughter has someone to play with after school most nights!!

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a range over the years lol!

Currently have 10 month old, 18 month old and 24 month old Lots of demand for school runs but don't want them lol, over the past 6 months they have moved away and I have not filled the spaces, I enjoy having the lo's!

In july the 24 month old finishes, so another pre-schooler/walker would be good!

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer to have just pre-schoolies. I don't take on school age children, but have 4 on my books who I had before they started school and as there is no wrap around care available at our local primary, they are still here (oh and another one due to start school in september, same problem ).

This is also starting to have an impact on me being able to fill my under 5 spaces as I will have 4 under 8's coming in from school twice a week, so only leaving me 2 spaces on those days. At the moment it isn't a problem, but should I need to fill the spaces I would have to seriously think about it!

In an ideal world I would like to say that once they start school I will not be able to have them (unless they had younger siblings maybe ).

I find it I usually have to wake someone up to go and do school pick up and especially when the weather is bad my house suddenly seems so much smaller once 3.30 arrives

Lady Haha Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nokidshere View Post

Same here!!!!

Just out of interest, the minders who said they don't care for over 8's. What do you do when you have a mindee from the age of 4 at school for instance and they stay with you? Surely you don't give notice a month before their 8th birthday or from the following Sept (so once they are in year 5, they're out!). Tempting though it sounds!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast