Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    may10
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation what would you do?

Ive been a register childminder for nearly a year now, I work in partnership with a friend who is also a registerd childminder, we work from my home and also employ 2 part time assistants. After paying all the business expences we split any profit between both of us.

We have decided that we are going to split in august, partly because I feel that my house has become more of a nursery than a home enviroment and partly because my friend wants to open a small nursery.

We havent told parents yer and dont plan to until May to give my friend a chance to get her new place sorted. One of the assistants is good friends with the other childminder and is going into partnership with her in august.

Me and the other childminder havent been getting on as well as normal lately, It feels like im bing pushed out of my own house and being talked about behind my bak maybee its just me being parnnoid

What does enryone think, what would you do in my situation ?????

moogster1a Guest

Sounds like they've probably been getting together a lot more in preparation for working together. Not surprising really, but it isn't very nice if they're making you feel isolated. personally, I'd just brazen it out till August and try to stay professional and grown up.
    Unfortunate that you feel uncomfortable in your own home but that's the downside of us working in our huses!
    If it gets really bad I guess you could consider wrapping the business up earlier than planned.
    re. the paranoia and being talked about, they're not planning on taking some of your parents with them are they?!! Have you discussed where you are going to steer the parents towards placing their children? I assume the new nursery will be direct competition?

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go out on my own now and hand pick the childrenfromthe setting that i wanted.

This way you will not allow the other two who are opening the nursery to pinch all the children.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd feel a bit peeved that they're using you & your home until they're ready to go off and do their own thing. It's almost like you're their stop-gap until they've got things set up for their new venture.

I think I'd be tempted to get out of the current situation as soon as possible. The decision has been made that you're going to part company, so do it now and get on with running your own business - leave them to sort out their own side of things

feb 11
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think I'd feel a bit peeved that they're using you & your home until they're ready to go off and do their own thing. It's almost like you're their stop-gap until they've got things set up for their new venture.

I think I'd be tempted to get out of the current situation as soon as possible. The decision has been made that you're going to part company, so do it now and get on with running your own business - leave them to sort out their own side of things
    same here, your house sounds like it a free base until aug

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others. I would tell the other minder and assistant that they need to register their own house/home asap. shouldn't be too long as just their house not themselves - I'd hope.

Then you keep the children you want, tell the parents what's happenign and they can work from their homes until they open their nursery.

hope you are ok hon x
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

may10
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

thanx for all of your support girls :-) we have discussed that we are going to talk to parents and explain the situation on a one to one basis in may. We have decided to give all the parents all the information they need and they can then make a disission from there. Really i dont think it will be in direct comapatition as im based in my home as a childminder and she will be based in a diffrent type of setting

My partner agrees with all of you and said i should just tell parents noe and cut all ties but i really dont like confrontation, at the minuet my tactic is to just get on with it. Obversly if it continues or gets any worse ill have to deal with it.

I know it may sound petty but since we have started minding together becasue im always here as its my home I havent got the motavation and I know im not putting into it what I should be as im always thinking well shes not putting money or time into it so why should I

Since we decided to go our seprate ways I have put lots of money into the business buying new resourses for August and just keeping them in my spare bedroom.

My plan is to over the easter weekend Im going to take everything out of the playroom and paint it the colours I want it, put all the new curtains in it and then start putting the new resourses in it.

Do you think this is a good idea or do you think I should wait until August

Im just so excited about starting up on my own.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are that far ahead with the planning I would look to ending the arrangement as soon as possible. What notice do you have to give each other? I would give the min and as it is my home I would speak to the parents and keep the ones you want to and can and offer to help find childcare for the others mentioning that the others are starting some kind of nursery in August and you will keep them in touch with what they are doing..

It could take months for Ofsted to register their homes and they may not bother and use you until August anyway, its not really that far away.

I wouldn't be re-decorating and putting in new resourses until I was working on my own.

When you know the others are leaving book a weeks holiday and do the revamp ready for the children coming back. Then it will really feel like a new start and mark the change for the children.

Good luck and look forward to all the profits instead of sharing them with 3 others. Oh and lots of space, it must have been crowded with extra children and 3 adults all in your house. Unless you house is huge!!!
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 09-03-2011 at 04:09 PM.

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    If you are that far ahead with the planning I would look to ending the arrangement as soon as possible. What notice do you have to give each other? I would give the min and as it is my home I would speak to the parents and keep the ones you want to and can and offer to help find childcare for the others mentioning that the others are starting some kind of nursery in August and you will keep them in touch with what they are doing..

It could take months for Ofsted to register their homes and they may not bother and use you until August anyway, its not really that far away.

I wouldn't be re-decorating and putting in new resourses until I was working on my own.

When you know the others are leaving book a weeks holiday and do the revamp ready for the children coming back. Then it will really feel like a new start and mark the change for the children.

Good luck and look forward to all the profits instead of sharing them with 3 others. Oh and lots of space, it must have been crowded with extra children and 3 adults all in your house. Unless you house is huge!!!
    This is exactly what I would have said!

Sounds as if you are being used now. If you're happy being a doormat then let it continue, if you have more pride in yourself then put a stop to it. The longer you leave it the harder it will be and you could end up losing the children you want to keep if you let your friend call all the shots.

Good luck x

WRT the new things and painting the rooms definitely not!

feb 11
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

get rid and start a fresh

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your tax year April to April, it would beneater to finish it then so you can share out the profits, work out which resources belong to who then get started afresh with your new stuff and decoration. Don't get new things out before the split or you may end up having to split them with your partners when you do part.

Never be kind and do favours in business it will come back to bite you on the bum, face the situation and deal with the confrontation it will make you stronger when dealing with difficult parents in the future.

june 90
    Post Thanks / Like

I would end it now, and take the children you want, look after yourself, no one els will,

Post Thanks / Like

Does your friend already have premises, I am assuming if she is setting up a nursery she is not doing it from home? I wonder what parents will think - obviously you won't be able to fit all the children in, and if they chose a childminder in the first place what happens if they all want to stay with you

As for the decorating etc. I would leave it until you have separated and open on your own with a newly decorated playroom and new resources

I can understand you not wanting to part company on bad terms, so as long as you are happy to wait then thats up to you. but I wouldn't wait just because its convenient to the others

Good luck!!!

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i guess if you're working in partnership you should have allocated 'key' children between you both?? i'd be inclined to tell the other minder that as of mid-april your house will no longer be available to her - then tell the parents of the children you plan to keep whats going on.
    Blessed Be!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

This all seems very unfair on you. They are using your home and resources until they are ready to go, possibly planning on trying to take all the children with them too.
    I think April would be a good time to cut ties- much easier to end this tax year, split profits, and start the new tax year on your own. They can use the time to get their new business prepared or they can register their own homes and childmind until then.
    This is your home, not just a childcare setting, and you should be calling the shots- I certainly wouldn't have people 'using' my home like they are yours.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're being far too nice about this and think you might end up with no work as a result.

You don't feel comfortable in your own home yet you're prepared to wait until these others have got their premises up and running - are you really so sure that they won't try and take all the work with them?

I'd think seriously about going it alone now

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

may10
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

i had a good think about it all last night and actually wrote her a letter as i get to emotional when arguing and dont deal with confrontation well. I have told her that I want to split and want my house bak at the end of may, we are going to tell parents at the begining of April and go from there really. We have started splitting the resourses ect so I do feel alot better about it all now. Obversly the end of May is still a while a way yet so see how things progress.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

You have done the right thing. You shouldnt be made to feel awkward in your own home. Glad you have found some middle ground and whilst May seems a long way away, it will fly by I am sure. I would make sure you give the parents as much notice as possible though, it only seems fair to me. Mind you they arent all going to be without childcare as you will be able to keep some on

bexcee Guest

I think you have done the right thing and I wish you all the very best with setting up on your own

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You have done the right thing and heres to the future
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast