being messed about!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    moogster1a Guest

Default being messed about!

had a lady wanting a full time place. Really chuffed as they're like gold dust round here. Just had a call from her to say can he start Monday ( again, super) but she only needs mon, tues, wed. I had a quick think and said I'd need a half price retainer for the other 2 days but she said tax credits won't pay for when she's not actually at work. I said retainers are common and I think they will. Does anyone know?
    failing that, I said I'd then charge extra for the 3 days. Does this sound fair?

Registered Childminder since
    Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

If she doesn't need Thur and Fri you can then fill them with someone else, so she shouldn't have to pay for them at all, a retainer would only be used if she was wanting you to keep the other 2 days for her to use. I charge a slightly higher rate for my part timers than my full timers, but only £3 a day.
    Ali xx

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ali and I don't think tax credits will pay for childcare when she is not at work.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

june 08
    Post Thanks / Like

How annoying have you signed contracts for full time space? I would charge a higher hourly rate as you were expecting to fill a full time space and let her know if you can't fill the other spaces and a full timer comes along you may have to give notice. But no you can't charge for days you don't have.

dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Tax credits pay the amount on the bill regardless of wether the child is attending nursery on certain days or not if the parent suggests that her bill is x amount to tax credits then they will just say ok we will give you x
    Amount towards the cost and not actually question the amount of days thats for as they ask you to average the cost over the whole year and they know costs vary

But at the same time I agree with the others you can't charge a retainer if she never wants to use the extra days it's up to you to fill those days with an other child
    H4H supporter 'per mare per terram'

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

If that was me then I would put them on a part-time contract for the Mon, Tues, Wed. Then advertise the part-time Thur, Fri space if you want to.

As far as I'm concerned a 3 day contract is still a nice earner and I find that most contracts are part-time, infact I've never had a full-time mindee.

If I found a minder that only did full-time spaces and I wanted part-time then I would go elsewhere I'm afraid.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree hon, take the 3 days and you will probably be able to fill the other 2 days. by all means charge a higher hourly rate.

Last year I had 6 EYFS children filling my 3 spaces through the week as they were all part time.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, just take the three days, and you cant charge for the other days. Like Juggler I have 4 mindees, all part time doing 2 or 3 days a week each. That seems to be the norm, tbh!!! And yes, as well I charge £3 a day more for them.
    Marnie x

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nic t View Post
    If that was me then I would put them on a part-time contract for the Mon, Tues, Wed. Then advertise the part-time Thur, Fri space if you want to.

As far as I'm concerned a 3 day contract is still a nice earner and I find that most contracts are part-time, infact I've never had a full-time mindee.

If I found a minder that only did full-time spaces and I wanted part-time then I would go elsewhere I'm afraid.
    I agree Cant see how you can charge her for days shes not going to use that you can use IYSWIM

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else!!! None of my children are full time, most are only 2 days a week with 1, 3 days. I also don't think you can charge her for the 2 days she doesn't need, it would be different if she needed you to keep 5 days open and only use 3 different days each week but if she is wanting set days you can always fill the other 2!!