Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 seater cars

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Zafira and I do love it in terms of size etc but there are a few niggles that Id rather not have - it seems to drink petrol, maybe a diesel would be more economical or maybe its just because its getting on a bit now and so a newer one would be better, it is a bit of a hassle using the very back seats, if I have older ones they dont mind climbing in through the boot hatch but am sometimes a bit embarassed at putting children in through the "boot"!! In hindsight Id like something with a sliding door (for obvious practical reasons) but as we are totally skint Im stuck with the Zaffy for a good while and it does the job ok

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1! View Post
    I have a Zafira and I do love it in terms of size etc but there are a few niggles that Id rather not have - it seems to drink petrol, maybe a diesel would be more economical or maybe its just because its getting on a bit now and so a newer one would be better, it is a bit of a hassle using the very back seats, if I have older ones they dont mind climbing in through the boot hatch but am sometimes a bit embarassed at putting children in through the "boot"!! In hindsight Id like something with a sliding door (for obvious practical reasons) but as we are totally skint Im stuck with the Zaffy for a good while and it does the job ok
    Ha Ha! My own 6yr old goes in the boot and she loves it! She does paw at the back window though pretending to be a dog

I think Zafiras are great if you have 6 kids aged over 4yrs old to transport then it's great as an after school car.
    But I find that the middle bench just can't be moved if you have a baby seat as the seatbelt stops the bench sliding. The only way round I suppose is an ISOFIX, but do they fit them to old (02 plate) Zafiras?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for all your posts!
    I've been looking at the Renault Espace as I like the way all the seats are forward facing and there's still room in the boot for double buggy etc. It also seems to be more in my price range being not such a new car.

Does anyone have one and have you experienced any problems with it?
    And how is it on fuel efficiency?
    Blondes have more fun!

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

no one has mentioned the citroen C4 grand picassa, which i have.

it is lovely to drive, (diesel and manual gearbox - DH spec cos he works at citroen) and has isofix seats in front and all middle seats, which is a must for me as i am useless at fitting car seats and with isofix you can clip them in and out in a second.

2 back seats are great for children but impossible for adults and boot fits a single, but not a double, if using all 7 seats.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    no one has mentioned the citroen C4 grand picassa, which i have.

it is lovely to drive, (diesel and manual gearbox - DH spec cos he works at citroen) and has isofix seats in front and all middle seats, which is a must for me as i am useless at fitting car seats and with isofix you can clip them in and out in a second.

2 back seats are great for children but impossible for adults and boot fits a single, but not a double, if using all 7 seats.
    Thanks Zoomie I'll take a look x
    Blondes have more fun!

Post Thanks / Like

We had to get rid of our kia sedona though loved the car it became very costly as gear shaft went. now in process of looking for a 7 seater too.
    A family member works for AA he recomends a VW,Ford Galaxy or Seat Alambra as less breakdowns.

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't get a Zafira!

Had nothing but trouble with mine since I got it. Including today when it cut out 7 times! Would love to trade it in for a Scenic (which is what I wanted when I got this but they were out of my price range), but not even partway through finance deal. Its not even three year old - never had trouble with any other car - hate it!

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good:-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Kia Sedona and its great for size and boot space. Can just about squeeze 3 car seats on the back row. Only down size I need a 9 seater not a 7 seater!!

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a VW Touran which I loved had it for 6 years but just wasn't big enough for minding. Some days I was picking up 3 8 year olds a 5 year old and had 2 under 5's and a puschair or 2 and we just didn't fit so I reluctantly traded it in for a VW Sharan.

I really like the Sharan and find that its really good I have 2 integrated baby seats which really help and as all the seats slide back and forth I can get me and another minder in plus 5 kids and 2 single pushchairs and a whole load of bags, coats, wellies and other childming paraphanelia.
    Love Amanda

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by babyface View Post
    A family member works for AA he recomends a VW,Ford Galaxy or Seat Alambra as less breakdowns.
    The seat Alhambra and the VW Sharan are essentially the same, if you look around the SEAT can be picked up for a bit less - though I got a vw cos I liek the badge

Hx

Post Thanks / Like

We have a Ford S-Max and it's fab. I didn't want a full size people carrier and this was the only smaller one that fits my nipper double buggy in the boot with seats up. I can fit 3 car seats in the middle and each seat moves independently. Also not too bad for adults in the back. We'll get the same again when we need to .

july 11
    Post Thanks / Like

i have had both the zafira and the galaxy, and i love the galaxy, so much more room and love the feeling of being higher up when driving xxx

Post Thanks / Like

we had an older Renault Espace, and though I loved it from a minding point of view it was expensive on repairs (being older didn't help ) We finally had to get rid and got a Zafira as that was really the only 7 seater we could afford, though I would have loved something like a Sharan or Voyager.

Hate the fact that you have to move the whole row of seats in the middle to put a child in the boot of the Zafira, and you can't move the seats which child seats fitted in Also if you are using both rear seats (which thankfully I don't have to do very often) you have practically no boot space left for anything

july10
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have a peugeot 307 sw estate 7 seater, it's great.
    It has 3 seperate seats in the middle row that can move independantly giving more leg room for the back 2 seats, and you can remove the back 2 seats /fold them down easily for if you just want to use as a car , i have my own 3 children so i do this when not minding.
    When all seats up i can fit my buggy in the boot just about, but think this is the norm unless you go for the massive people carriers, but it suit's for what i need.
    I managed to pick mine up really cheap!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko81 View Post
    We are just about to buy a Toyota Corolla Verso after months of pondering over which one to get. id defo reccomend it x
    I have a previa at the minute which I LOVE!! But hubby has a verso and we have decided we no longer need 2 7 seaters so Im having the verso and selling my previa. I love the Verso too

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    we had an older Renault Espace, and though I loved it from a minding point of view it was expensive on repairs (being older didn't help ) We finally had to get rid and got a Zafira as that was really the only 7 seater we could afford, though I would have loved something like a Sharan or Voyager.

Hate the fact that you have to move the whole row of seats in the middle to put a child in the boot of the Zafira, and you can't move the seats which child seats fitted in Also if you are using both rear seats (which thankfully I don't have to do very often) you have practically no boot space left for anything
    Renault Espace is only thing really in my price range. Do they do well enough not to need to many repairs? Looking at one with 02 reg at the mo. There is one thats a 95 but worried that could be a bit too old
    Blondes have more fun!

jun 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

over the years i have had a few "childminding cars"

omega estate with the back converted into 2 extra seats kids loved this as they got to look out the back window but storing buggies and things was a problem but got me out of a fix

galaxy with built in carseats worth looking for when buy second hand as they are a lot of money on a bran new model loved the car but found it hard to get the seats in and out when i didnt have a man around sort of ok for boot space

vauxhaull zafira brilliant for disappearing seats quick but no good for carrying buggies and stuff real strugle to get a umbrella buggy in the boot

and my final car well mini bus is a vauxhall vaviro 9 seater which is everything i want i can get loads of buggies in there double single and all my car seats if im not using them in the boot i can fit 8 children in there i wouldnt be with out it it also means trips out in the summer holidays we can pack all the extras for fun and games at the beaches parks etc and it also gets noticed all the time as im the only childminder with a mini bus in my area

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Grand Voyager and it's brill - I can get my double and two single buggys in the back easily. Loads of room inside - but I dont like the bench seat in the back.

I dont like the 7 seaters where the back two seats are essentially in the boot - doenst feel safe to me.

Anyway this is all academic because I'm selling it as I cant afford the 10 quid a day diesel is seems to get through.
    Deb X

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

LUUUUURRRRVVVE my Ford Galaxy. Lovely and easy to drive, park and can get 6 kids in plus a double AND and single buggy in the boot. Fab car!

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    6 and 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Chrysler VOYAGER and it is very spacious. Next time I would go for the Grand Voyager with extra boot space and easy fold away seats.
    claire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast