Thread: Ironing??

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ironing??

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    I MIGHT just have a coffee in that time, rarely sat with my feet up though.
    I always find time to have a sit down and a coffee.
    When I first started childminding I felt guilty sitting down but after time I know Im entitled to a sit down especially when Im working 10hrs a day.
    Hubbie gets an hrs lunch break when he goes into the office, so I sit down with a coffee when the kids are asleep

~Chelle~ Guest

Originally Posted by ClaireCM
    This is exactly my situation, if ever I iron, which I will admit I have done whilst mindees have been here, the children are asleep or transfixed with the TV and under my constant supervision. If one were to stir or door/phone goes etc, I have already stated that I put the iron in the kitchen (no access) and even then to the back of the high kitchen unit out of reach.

I fail to see why everyone is so horrified at the idea, if we are responsible and careful adults

I am confident that I know my mindees and when they sleep they are out for the count. I iron during that time...

You have back tracked a bit, now you only do it whilst they are asleep yet in your earlier post you do it whilst they are asleep or "transfixed to the tv"

And please, someone enlighten me, how on earth do mothers ever get all their ironing done at home???? Their children are there 24/7!!! If you cant even iron when children are asleep then god only knows when you can or when you will ever find the time to do it!!!!!!!!!!
    You iron at evenings and weekends or when your own children are in bed

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bexc View Post
    I always find time to have a sit down and a coffee.
    When I first started childminding I felt guilty sitting down but after time I know Im entitled to a sit down especially when Im working 10hrs a day.
    Hubbie gets an hrs lunch break when he goes into the office, so I sit down with a coffee when the kids are asleep
    Absolutely - I agree about the break - that is not what I am disputing. I (by by own choices and design) am extremely busy - I work hard and I play hard and I 'fit' things in round what I do. So instead of doing reams of paperwork in the evenings and weekends (like so many say they do) I do my paperwork as I go (as best as possible) thus leaving my weekends and days off fre to do hosuework and study and for my own family for instance.

I do have a 'break' - I sit down with the children for lunch and snacks.

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

All i can add is, i have 3 little boys of my own who rung circles round me when i get the ironning out it is a small pile one of my lads grab the wooden ironning board and they all take it in turn to iron. It is teaching them valuable life skills as their father is a lazy a** and woudnt know where to even begin.

I do iron when my mindee is asleep as she is gone out for count for 2 hours. I dont see any wrong in it as i dont have a lunch break where by i am away from the children like nursery schools etc etc. we are paid to take care of the children whilst in our care but the wage we get is not minimum wage by the hour and therefore people choose child minders for their child to be in a home environment.

I dont agree doing it whilst they r awake but thats my choice but yea whilst she is sparko i really dont see anything wrong with it at all.

Everyone is different and is entitled to their opinion that should be respected. there is no right and wrong way as long as the child is safe and well cared for that is all at matters.

Just because you do the odd house hold chore doesnt make you unprofessional or less worthy of caring for a child.

LOOPYLISA Guest

Wow is this thread still going !

You are not really helping as everytime i see the title ironing i look over into my diner and see a huge pile of mine

I really think its a personal choice

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post

You are not really helping as everytime i see the title ironing i look over into my diner and see a huge pile of mine

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I am happy for oppions from either side of the fence,, what i object to was being told i was not proffesional just because the one day i have an older child that would either be having a (unexpected) nap or his half hour tv time that i did the ironing.
    everyone is entitled to their oppinion and i actutlay find it quite interesting to see everyones views and also to know that i am not alone in my oppinion

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post

thats me at the weekend normally and it never gets any smaller!

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post

thats me at the weekend normally and it never gets any smaller!
    Its still there, i have shut the doors on it now

Last night we heard something fall in there it was the ironing basket must do it tomorrow...well maybe

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

ah but tommoro never comes and what you cant see cant hurt

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

can i just ask if anyone mows the lawn while they are working

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    I havent mowed the lawn in the 17yrs Ive had hubby

He does mow it while Im working but the kids are inside ( I'm not set up for freeflow and never will be but thats a whole other matter). He's even been known to put the ironing board up while Im working if he's running low on shirts. Don't see it as a problem as it's his home too and he isn't working. As long as I'm watching the kids it's not an issue.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

havent got one of those,,, we paved the whole garden so the children could use it all year round

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow this thread is interesting! Personally I would! I see absolutely no problem with it. I can't comment any more or I might start ranting about the fact that we should be risk assessing about whether it's safe or not to do a quick bit of ironing.
    Georgina x

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I did once. Don't shoot me down!

1 mindee asleep in buggy in the sitting room overlooking garden, postage stamp sized garden in which the grass was so long it made it difficult for a crawler.

It was a few summers ago (pre EYFS so no LJs to do in 'down time' ) I had lunch and looked at the garden through patio doors just thought '*** it' - rained most of August but for once it was a dry day - never at the weekend is it! When the grass was long it never dried out much as sun went off garden by lunchtime.

Took me 10 mins max- said it was small! Mower away and we could play out after sleep

Not saying this was right or wrong but, there you go - I did it!

Wouldn't do it now - moved house and have huge garden - DH uses the tractor mower
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep i do and i will tell you why.

I have done it once because it was a lovely day, we put our wellies on and a coats and i gave my mindee her little wheel barrow and pretend lawn mower and off she went, she picked up leaves and loved every minute of it. granted i didnt have neat lines and have a tiny lawn but the lawn mower would not of caused her any harm as once i let go it triggered it to switch off.

she had one of the best days going and loved every minute of it, it ticked so mnay boxes with EYFS and as far as risk assesment goes it was totally safe and covered it from every angle.

Again my choice was professional in the way i made sure it was safe she had her own little tools and she was full of the joys of spring doing it. x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! And the kids loved raking it up afterwards.
    Georgina x

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miss mopple View Post
    I havent mowed the lawn in the 17yrs Ive had hubby

He does mow it while Im working but the kids are inside ( I'm not set up for freeflow and never will be but thats a whole other matter). He's even been known to put the ironing board up while Im working if he's running low on shirts. Don't see it as a problem as it's his home too and he isn't working. As long as I'm watching the kids it's not an issue.
    I havnt touched a lawn mower in 8 yrs

Hubs job

Pipsqueak Guest

I suppose its like the (old) thread about should we be doing our (full on) weekly shop when minding or taking the kids shoe shopping for us/own kids.

I will just reiterate for the final time -I was not casting doubt on anyones professionalism - I was telling it from my own POV and experiences. Given that we want to be taken seriously and on an equal footing with other care providers i think we have to take an overall look at what we, how we do it and why. Thinking in that way as well - don't think it would go down to well if the nursery teacher decided to get her ironing out or the y5 teacher decided to give a lesson about internet shopping for baby clothes (yes real life situation and she managed to order lots of things from next!!!!!)

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a no no,to such an extent that i knew i was meant to be on course tonight (cancelled) as i have a child come at 5.50 i get up at 5 ,did my ironing at 5.20 this morning i no must be mad

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast