Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Registered Childminder since
    May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ironing??

Also for me, I've just finished a pile of ironing!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    It's a no for me too!

Miffy xx
    me too!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    unless he climbs over 2 stairgates he wouldnt be able to get to it,,, the iron board is behind a stair gate and if the door goes i would have put it in the kitchen behind another stairgate so faill to the need for the look,,,
    I wasnt havin a go....I was just giving my Opinion.

But even so ....I would NOT do any ironing whilst minding..i am not having a go...just giving my HO
    Needs to Zumba

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ~Chelle~ View Post
    Because we are paid to look after other peoples children, not put them in front of the tv whilst we do our ironing!

I would be horrified if I was paying someone to mind my children and turned up early one day to find them sat in front of the tv whilst my minder was ironing, wouldn't you??

They do not pay you to do your housework, they pay you to look after their children!
    I wasnt putting him infront of the tv so i could do the ironing he has about 30mins tv chill out time in the afternoon, normaly i sit and do paperwork but it was up to date, what would you like me to do whilst he has his tv time,, join in with the tv acting to entertain him??
    and as for the comment about us being proffesional I am a proffesional and deeply offened you would suggest i am not, what do you do when yours are asleep then or watching tv?? is it proffesional to sit and have a coffee when they do this?
    I never thought that trying to decide weather to do a small pile of ironing while he watched his tv and chilled out for a bit would cause such a fuss,, i did risk asses it and made it all safe,,in the end he fell asleep so i did it anyway or maybe it would have been more proffesional to sit there with my feet up for half hour while he slept!

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i cant see the problem in doing it if mindees are asleep, ive done it. As for the point in what if the doorbell goes or what if the mindees wake up then you do the sensible thing of unplugging the iron and putting it up on the kitchen worktop for safety!!

i understand that parents are paying for us to look after their children but we are HOME carers and people iron at home. if i had a sensible 4 year old watching his usual 30 mins tv then yes i would do a few bits if needing doing. i dont believe in paying with children ALL the time they need to learn to play by themselves and with each other without adult interfernce, i do most of my paperwork and bits of housework while theya re playing but i get plenty of opportunities to play with them too.
    also how annoying would it be if you were watching tv for a bit of chill out time and had someone sitting next to you talking about what is going on and commenting!! personally i would tell them to go away. lol

~Chelle~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by ClaireCM
    This is exactly my situation, if ever I iron, which I will admit I have done whilst mindees have been here, the children are asleep or transfixed with the TV and under my constant supervision. If one were to stir or door/phone goes etc, I have already stated that I put the iron in the kitchen (no access) and even then to the back of the high kitchen unit out of reach.

I fail to see why everyone is so horrified at the idea, if we are responsible and careful adults.

~Chelle~;801085
    Because we are paid to look after other peoples children, not put them in front of the tv whilst we do our ironing!

I would be horrified if I was paying someone to mind my children and turned up early one day to find them sat in front of the tv whilst my minder was ironing, wouldn't you??

They do not pay you to do your housework, they pay you to look after their children!

Originally Posted by ~Chelle~

Mushpea: - I wasnt putting him infront of the tv so i could do the ironing he has about 30mins tv chill out time in the afternoon, normaly i sit and do paperwork but it was up to date, what would you like me to do whilst he has his tv time,, join in with the tv acting to entertain him??
    and as for the comment about us being proffesional I am a proffesional and deeply offened you would suggest i am not, what do you do when yours are asleep then or watching tv?? is it proffesional to sit and have a coffee when they do this?
    I never thought that trying to decide weather to do a small pile of ironing while he watched his tv and chilled out for a bit would cause such a fuss,, i did risk asses it and made it all safe,,in the end he fell asleep so i did it anyway or maybe it would have been more proffesional to sit there with my feet up for half hour while he slept!

You will see that my reply was NOT directed towards your comment but someone else's, I have attached the WHOLE quote above

But you did ask everyone's OWN opinion on whether it was right or not to iron whilst minding and I gave that!

( Mushpea:- I have a almost 4yrold today and wonded ,, whilst he has his half hour tv time this after noon is it wrong to do the ironing? i ususaly only sit there or do paper work so wanted to get a bit of house work done
    would you do it in this situation?)

Have you contacted Ofsted to see what their opinion is?????
    Last edited by ~Chelle~; 20-10-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am terrible when I have the iron in my hand

I have burnt myself a number of times and it really really hurts and is sore for ages

For that reason alone knowing how much it hurts I would not like to risk a child getting hurt / burnt with a iron

Oh we know someone who lets their child do the ironing - the child is 9

Mad

Angel xxx

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post

I have burnt myself a number of times and it really really hurts and is sore for ages

For that reason alone knowing how much it hurts I would not like to risk a child getting hurt / burnt with a iron

Mad

Angel xxx
    oh my goodness, even im not safe with the iron let along a 9yr old

Dd came down the other day and asked if she could iron her top, shes 13 in feb , i did let her have a go whilst stood nearly on top of her, worried the life out of me

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt iron with mindees as I dont get time.

My 11yr old son loves ironing......I dont say no as his Dad is ****** useless at it, his Mum never taught him to do anything.
    Got to teach them young
    Although my 8yr old asks to do some I say no

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

NO!

I wouldn't! Doing paperwork whilst a child is having rest time or nap is fine as it is part of the job! But ironing, I can't see how you could even link that with anything that benifits the child let alone the risk!

I

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not iron if the children were present and awake but do occasionally if they are asleeep. I always find that there are other domestic things that can be done.
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post

Mad

Angel xxx
    Both my boys like to iron - they are 11 & 9! Nothing wrong with teaching them to look after themselves!

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I do enjoy that this post has caused such a response despite the fast that myself and about 2 other members seem to be battling against everyone else!! I just think that people have become too scared for their own good.
    I am confident that I know my mindees and when they sleep they are out for the count. I iron during that time..... They do not wake up in under 2 hours and the 2 hour limit is when I have to use my fog horn to wake them up, not even when they are ready to wake up themselves!!! They are also very bright and very sensible young children, they know what the iron is and that they must not ever touch it or go near it. These arent my teachings, I dont wave a hot iron in front of them and teach them about it, they have learnt this from home. And please, someone enlighten me, how on earth do mothers ever get all their ironing done at home???? Their children are there 24/7!!! If you cant even iron when children are asleep then god only knows when you can or when you will ever find the time to do it!!!!!!!!!!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Like someone else has said I would not feel professional doing my ironing whilst being paid to do my job. IF a parent came early I can't imagine they would be best pleased to see me ironing even if their LO is having some TV time. I might know that I only got the iron out for half an hour and that I had RA everything but they wouldn't know that and if I were that parent I would not be happy at all. I would rather catch up with some paperwork or mop the floor than ever get the iron out when I'm working. As for my own children I usually iron when they are in bed but if I'm doing it when they are about my DD (3yrs) isn't allowed near the ironing board, I'm paranoid about a child knocking the ironing board and the iron falling on their head.

xxxxxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireCM View Post
    I do enjoy that this post has caused such a response despite the fast that myself and about 2 other members seem to be battling against everyone else!! I just think that people have become too scared for their own good.
    I am confident that I know my mindees and when they sleep they are out for the count. I iron during that time..... They do not wake up in under 2 hours and the 2 hour limit is when I have to use my fog horn to wake them up, not even when they are ready to wake up themselves!!! They are also very bright and very sensible young children, they know what the iron is and that they must not ever touch it or go near it. These arent my teachings, I dont wave a hot iron in front of them and teach them about it, they have learnt this from home. And please, someone enlighten me, how on earth do mothers ever get all their ironing done at home???? Their children are there 24/7!!! If you cant even iron when children are asleep then god only knows when you can or when you will ever find the time to do it!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't think you are in a battle. I think that others say that they do iron whilst the children are in bed but not if they are awake (watching tv). Others say an emphatic no but they might have other things to do. My little ones are like yours, 2 hours and no waking them.

Parents have the choice, we don't and I think that if we told Ofsted that we were ironing whilst they are awake then we would have a safeguarding action against us unless we could prove that they were safe. I couldn't as I would be downstairs and the mindees upstairs where I couldn't see them.

Answering another post - yes you should be with them whilst they are watching tv on my opinion!!
    Debbie

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

oh dear what have it started

I think as the last post said we all Know our own children and i know my own,, to say its not proffesional and 'have i asked ofsted about this' is taking the ' own oppions' a bit to far. No obvously i have not asked ofsted about this but then as long as its risked accesed and the children in my care are safe then i dont see why i need to ask them,, I know the child well enough and did it all safe so i am not bothered anymore.. never nomaly do ido the ironing whilst children are here it was a one off cause never do i normaly have a day where i have only one child.
    as for paying me to iron while i look after their child , well what else shud i do when hes asleep.
    also parents dont take ironging to work but nor do they take the washing, hoover or duster to work but that seems to be ok to do whilst working,,
    I just wonded what every one else though/did,,,,ah well

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Love your answer

And.....Should we even be mopping the floor as that could cause someone to slip over?
    Last edited by JCrakers; 20-10-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    No one has accused you of NOT being professional, what I done where I have referenced this is MY opinion. It is not a slur or slight about you or anyone else and I apologise if its offended anyone. whenever i express views like that - they are my own particular way of working and thinking and never meant to upset others.

What do I do when the bairns are sleeping - I catch up on paperwork, do some phone calls for my support or vacancy calls, do some research or study, tidy up. I MIGHT just have a coffee in that time, rarely sat with my feet up though.

What do I do when the children are engrossed in play - I observe, take notes, do some paperwork, might do an odd household chore like sweeping the floor if need be.

During my working day/hours - everything I do is work related, if its a domestic chore such as shopping, washing, tidying - the children can be involved in as a learning experience.

You asked for opinions and then because I presume some of the answers are what you want to hear you hit the virtual dislike button. Fair enough - your perogative of course but you are going to hear different sides to views and opinions and have to take it on the chin if you have asked for it.

Pipsqueak Guest

: They do not wake up in under 2 hours and the 2 hour limit is when I have to uI do enjoy that this post has caused such a response despite the fast that myself and about 2 other members seem to be battling against everyone else!! I just think that people have become too scared for their own good.
    I am confident that I know my mindees and when they sleep they are out for the count. I iron during that time..... :eekse my fog horn to wake them up, not even when they are ready to wake up themselves!!! They are also very bright and very sensible young children, they know what the iron is and that they must not ever touch it or go near it. These arent my teachings, I dont wave a hot iron in front of them and teach them about it, they have learnt this from home. And please, someone enlighten me, how on earth do mothers ever get all their ironing done at home???? Their children are there 24/7!!! If you cant even iron when children are asleep then god only knows when you can or when you will ever find the time to do it!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that its caused a discussion not a battle

I think there is a world of difference in parents doing ironing around their offspring to a childminder who is being paid to look after children doing their ironing (during working hours). To me there are some 'household jobs' that just don't get done whilst you are working, as quite apart from the safety aspects it cannot be reconciled to be within a learning aspect.

I will enlighten you of course - how do mothers get it done - again reference the last paragraph (sorry all this sounds supercillious - don't mean it too) - my ironing as a mother - gets done at the weekends or evenings or days off in past. Recently I have delegated to eldest son or husband and this gets done at the weekend.

I am a busy minder - have several children in the EYFS age range, plus other age children for various hours throughout the week, I also attend uni and have to study not to mention being a support and vacancy childminder oh and on top of that I am a mum of 3 - I manage to 'fit' it all in.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast