Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ironing??

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ironing??

I never ironed when looking after my own 3 children when they were around and certainly wouldnt when mindies were around. I always iron in front of the tv in the evening or at the weekend.

My sister burnt herself with an iron when she was small and my mum was always careful, this in itself meant I always ironed when my own children werent around

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think ironing should be done whilst your working...even when LO is sleeping. sposing the door bell goes, you answer the door, LO wakes up!!!!!!!
    Far to scarey to even think about. Sorry, MO
    I put the iron on when the kids are here to iron their hama beads etc as I'm sure many others do, so safety wise I see no difference. I wouldn't set up to iron clothes while the kids are awake as I don't have time , but occasionally do as they nap if I'm really behind with it and dont see it as a problem. I treat nap time as my break, what I do in it is up to me (within reason )

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post
    Whats ironing
    Was thinking the same " is that a new word "

no seriouslly i have a " no " in my head when it comes to ironing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funfunfun View Post

A no from me also

Angel xx

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do, depending on how many and what age the children are, for years I didn't because I was worried about safety but if I've only got a 4 year old or a younger child who is asleep then I do it and it's out of the way before the weekend. I never leave the iron unattended and would switch it off and move it before answering the phone or door

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

what is this ironing your talking about
    shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't know now that eyfs has come in what the rules are but when i registered under early years ironing was an instant suspension of registration.

in my opinion it is a definite no to ironing while working.

and i agree with pip it is a chore too far

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funfunfun View Post

My iron's have a habbit of falling of the board honestly

I have had 3 this yr ooppppsssss

And with no iron what a girl to do

FEB 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you will find that if ofsted came to your door, you would be in trouble, even if they were asleep, its the just in case bit, one touch and they would have your head. ikwim

a childminder friend got in trouble with the iron board up, iron in cupboard not even used, it was up from night before.

be very careful parents may have an opinion and may not be happy.

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I was asked at my pre reg visit if I would iron when the children were here, I said no, and they said thats good because it is completely inappropriate to iron whilst minding. Wouldn't risk it in case they turned up unannounced!
    Ali xx

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

another thought if we want to be treated like professionals then we need to act like professionals. nursery staff would not be allowed to iron whilst working.
    and as for hama beads i leave then until the children have gone home and do them at night and return them next time i see the children

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't iron whilst mindees are here but thats only because I do it in front of the tv each sunday evening!

I don't see the problem if a child is asleep though.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't risk it - If I was despirate I may iron an item (if I had guaranteed sleepers) while they were asleep - but otherwise its a HUGE NO NO - suits me fine anyway - if I worked in an office my family couldn't expect me to take the housework with me so why should I run myself ragged trying to do it while working at home - DH doesn't take a pile of ironing and board and Iron to work with him to do when he gets a spare minute and in his line of work he gets lots of spare minutes!!!!
    Last edited by Heaven Scent; 19-10-2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Celest

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireCM View Post
    I fail to see why everyone is so horrified at the idea, if we are responsible and careful adults.
    For me its not a case of safety - as I believe that as adults with something like that we are as careful as we possibly can be.

However, what it boils down to - we are homebased childcare providers, the beauty of minding is involving children in life learning skills etc but this has obviously got to be practical and within reason and I do not believe ironing falls within that remit. I am a professional and therefore even behind closed doors during working hours I take my job seriously.

We can involve the children in so many types of activity (and hey it makes it fun for us as well) but ironing is not really something you can involve a child imo.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to imagine how I would feel if my kids were with a minder who was ironing. I wouldn't like it to be honest. I've never ironed with mine around. Having said that, I haven't ironed for 3 years, my tumble dryer does it for me!! lol.
    xx

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have but however, the one mindee i had was asleep in a travel cot and it was a ten minute job knowing she would sleep for 2 hours normally.

I wouldnt do it if she was awake thou far too dangerous....x

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

its a no from me anyway whats an iron never heard of one .... i pay someone to do mine
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by babs View Post
    its a no from me anyway whats an iron never heard of one .... i pay someone to do mine
    oooooo i like that idea..... 1st thing tomorrow i shall make my enquiries about someone doing my ironing x

~Chelle~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireCM View Post
    This is exactly my situation, if ever I iron, which I will admit I have done whilst mindees have been here, the children are asleep or transfixed with the TV and under my constant supervision. If one were to stir or door/phone goes etc, I have already stated that I put the iron in the kitchen (no access) and even then to the back of the high kitchen unit out of reach.

I fail to see why everyone is so horrified at the idea, if we are responsible and careful adults.
    Because we are paid to look after other peoples children, not put them in front of the tv whilst we do our ironing!

I would be horrified if I was paying someone to mind my children and turned up early one day to find them sat in front of the tv whilst my minder was ironing, wouldn't you??

They do not pay you to do your housework, they pay you to look after their children!

nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it myself.......only because I don't iron. DD does it.
    But If I did have to do it and the children were asleep.. I don't see a problem with it.
    I am sure the childminders who do iron put the mindees safety first.

I sometimes start my tea if the children are asleep, but 9 times out of 10 I just sit down with a nice cuppa or tidy up all the toys.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast