unpaid holiday - what if parents are off at the same time (christmas)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    aly Guest

Default Re: unpaid holiday - what if parents are off at the same time (christmas)

my cm friend has stated her hols to q parent..2 1.5 weeks over xmas..parent is off 3 weeks, so my friend has stated she will not charge for her days but she will charge for the parents days off over that period...

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: unpaid holiday - what if parents are off at the same time (christmas)

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.h View Post
    thank you so much for your answers. it is interesting to read all your different ways of doing and dealing with things.

i really like debbie's way of doing it. but i also like the idea of just taking two weeks off and forget about the money. however, one family has had one paid week off this year and sent the lo when they are off too i just want them to walk all over me this time, time to get tough and rethink my terms and conditions

mrs.h
    If I had a parent who sent even if they were off I would speak to them in December and offer a 1/2 and 1/2 payment basis - usually find that if they are saving money they will go for it
    Debbie

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.h View Post
    i just want them to walk all over me this time, time to get tough and rethink my terms and conditions

mrs.h
    what the heck??? i just don't want them to walk all over me this time of course!

1/2 is a good idea, thank you debbie! i will write something and hand it out soon.

mrs.h

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my 2nd Christmas as a cm and we are all having a holiday again as no way am I working. My children make many sacrifices during the year and deserve me all to themselves .

I accept that I don't get paid and usually start squirrelling some money away between now and Xmas so that we are not skint.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I think i will maybe next month send out a calander as debbie said so i can give a bit over 4 weeks notice to the time off i will take

Think i will stop xmas eve ..................and return on th 2nd of july

May 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of sending out the calendar My parents are self employed so they will be sending their kids during xmas so I working till 5 xmas eve then back on the tuesday (time half)

i think I will chang it next year as I want to spend time with my kids but it is so difficult as 1 of my parents works in retail and she a single parent so she only got me for looking after kids. I kinda feel bad cause she needs me.

May 10
    Post Thanks / Like

i like the idea of returning 2nd of july paid of course

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by funfunfun View Post
    I think i will maybe next month send out a calander as debbie said so i can give a bit over 4 weeks notice to the time off i will take

Think i will stop xmas eve ..................and return on th 2nd of july

thats one good holiday - dont think my parents will go for it
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always have the week between xmas and New Year off

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never "booked" the time off but have always managed to get it off paid apart from one little one whos parents send him for one shorter day so they can go shopping in the sales!

I always increase my fees in January and have just handed out the fee increase letters with a bit at the bottom asking everyone to let me know what their plans over the festive period are. I have taken xmas eve and new years eve off this year but stated that I will be open other than that. All the replies I have had back so far suggest that I will get the week off between xmas and new year again!

I think it depends on the parents you have. I have had most of my children for 3 years now and know they normally have that time off anyway so I took the risk!

july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for my holidays and xmas is one holiday I always have off. What I do is work out the fees for a year deduct 4 weeks for my holidays and then the parent pays the same fees every week/month whether they are on holiday or I am. It means I have something coming in each month.

Kirsty xxx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for my time off and have no intention of playing games to try to get parents to pay half rate over holiday I plan to have off anyway.
    But it does add up to one less week off that the parents have available from work, so you will have an extra week of full pay during the rest of the year...perhaps...depending on what you have worked into your charges.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I love minding over christmas!!!!! This year I will be taking off the 17th-21st december as we are going to Newquay - we will be back for the 22nd and I am happy to work as much as I need to - I only have under 3's in my care so its all magical for them - I am guessing this year I will work up to about mid-day on xmas eve as its a friday so parents are likely to finish early.
    We are not celebrating christmas this year anyway so my son won't be missing out on anything by me working. Might have a party on the solstice though!
    Blessed Be!

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I finish the evening the schools close & start back the first Monday after new year...

I don't charge for my holidays & give all parents my dates September time...

I love spending xmas with my own family
    wow 2012 already

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

If I didn't book time off parents would use me all over xmas even though they are off

TheBTeam Guest

I do not charge for my holidays, and state at the outset of the contract that i take around 4-5 weeks, and one is always between xmas and the new year as i like to spend time with my own children.

Same here i dont want to take the chance of ending up with an odd mindee here or there!

Sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I had contracts with no fee for my holidays, full fees for parents holidays too. I realised it was a little unfair on both sides, as my holidays were unpaid it meant i couldnt afford to take any as id be losing a wage and paying to go away. It was unfair to parents as when they wanted a holiday they'd have to pay for me plus the holiday...
    When i suggested it to both sets of parents they both bit my arm off.. my single parent booked a holiday within 1 week saying she could now afford it due to half fees.
    Have a word with each of them.. not mentioning xmas as such, but just suggest it 'i dont take many holidays so if you were waiting for me, you'd never get one'.
    xxx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    I love minding over christmas!!!!! This year I will be taking off the 17th-21st december as we are going to Newquay - we will be back for the 22nd and I am happy to work as much as I need to - I only have under 3's in my care so its all magical for them - I am guessing this year I will work up to about mid-day on xmas eve as its a friday so parents are likely to finish early.
    We are not celebrating christmas this year anyway so my son won't be missing out on anything by me working. Might have a party on the solstice though!
    why you not celebrating hon, do you not normally?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been giving this some thought as well! I would like some time to spend time with my family but the way things are at the moment I'd only have 1 family who could possibly need me on the Tuesday & Wednesday but don't know if they would yet

I've set my fees so that their time off is half fees for 4 weeks or more notice and full fees if they give less than 4 weeks so I think I'll do a newsletter soon and remind me of this and not to forget to give me as much notice as possible of time off so they're not charge full fees

Then I'll decide whether to just work the Tuesday and Wednesday or book it off myself!
    Cazz x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 14 different families so it would cost me too much to close so I play the waiting game.

I don't have young children (mine are 14 and 19) so I can work if required but I hope I don't have to
    Debbie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast