Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy guns

Registered Childminder since
    jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toy guns

I was at a nursery drop off today (same nursery as my lo) two boys playing with plastic guns and my minded lo was given one to play with by one of the boys (I took the minded lo to one side an reminded lo that mummy doesnt like him to play with guns and could he please give it back. Not a problem from my minded lo he handed it back no questions (i was very proud of my minded lo for this and praised him)

I then got a look from another mum who then asked 'doesnt she let him play with guns'

I told her no, but then again i dont give any of mine a gun to play with.

Why she asks, . . . its not like they are going to hurt anybody. (and looks around the other mums for support)

i just said 'its prefrence, everyones different'

I was fine when i gave that responce but now its playing over in my mind, how rude of her to judge others.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Toy guns

Well Done you is all i can say!! I feel exactly the same and there are no guns in our house, my son (now 17) didn't miss them and neither do my mindees. I dislike such little ones playing games like that. I know that everyone has different opinions but she should respect you for yours in the same way as you do hers.

Ali x

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't give it another moment's thought - that was her opinion but it isn't yours!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

i never allowed them to play with guns either and if the children made play guns with say lego we would have a chat about how guns where not toys but very dangerous and that we don't play killing games in my house

i am sure lots of people disagreee with me.

but i think you're right and i wouldn't worry about it

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    MET
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine have had toy guns, but have also as they got older learned to use real guns responsibly.
    I have no guns in the childminding toys, but the boys still make them or just pretend.

Well done for standing up for your principles.
    Charlotte
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

just felt like a bit of a dig at my parenting (more than anything) an to be fair maybe she did too and thats why she looked for support from others. . . each to their own though!
    must say the other parents lo is a real sweety.

I dont feel as strongly if one of my lo's pick up a stick or something else to pretend to have a gun, i feel they must have a need for acting it out but it would be talked about, how it could make someone feel, guns can really hurt someone etc . . .

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was quite rude of the parent to make that comment. We all have different opinions and parenting styles and are free to make our own choices.

Wheter we allow toys guns or not (I do i think they are just a toy and will not make kids want to shoot each other for real - i do teach the difference between playacting and real life) is a personal choice and i dont know why she felt she had to comment on it.

Maybe she was just looking to justify allowing her kids to have them.

May 10
    Post Thanks / Like

How rude!

I wont allow toy guns in my house. My nephew is always saying he has a gun and is "killing people" and I think it's just wrong. He's 3, he shouldn't be running around saying he's killing people. I don't get why children need to play with toy guns. Guns are used by the very select few in our country, it's not really like it's something they're necessarily going to see when they get older. I'd rather teach them that guns aren't for children and aren't toys. Guns are used to kill. I wouldn't let children run around pretending to play with a knife and pretending to stab each other, same thing in my book.
    JoJo x

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dare4Distance View Post
    How rude!

I wont allow toy guns in my house. My nephew is always saying he has a gun and is "killing people" and I think it's just wrong. He's 3, he shouldn't be running around saying he's killing people. I don't get why children need to play with toy guns. Guns are used by the very select few in our country, it's not really like it's something they're necessarily going to see when they get older. I'd rather teach them that guns aren't for children and aren't toys. Guns are used to kill. I wouldn't let children run around pretending to play with a knife and pretending to stab each other, same thing in my book.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem with guns, toy ones, ones made of lego or sticks as long as kids play appropriately with them. Gives a chance to talk about how dangerous guns are.

However, I DO think this parent was extremely rude. Everyone is entitled to their view.

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i have never had a problem with toy guns, and studies show it is BENEFICIAL to a childs development

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7163741.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-toy-guns.html
    IS BACK

onceinabluemoon Guest

How rude!

Quite agree!

I also do not let mindees bring in DS/Gameboy games that involve killing anything. They are welcome to play with them at home and I wouldn't dream of saying otherwise, that's their parent's prerogative, but not in this house.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i think you can get a study to 'prove' anything these days - especially from the BBC who are total and utter con merchants.
    Personally I don't like killing games - we do play with water guns though so i think thats a fair balance.
    Blessed Be!

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
    i have never had a problem with toy guns, and studies show it is BENEFICIAL to a childs development

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7163741.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-toy-guns.html
    interesting that the government thinks it's beneficial for *boys* to play with guns and yet the people who are with them on a day to day basis say that it causes aggression. I'd put my money on the people who actually interact with the kids rather than the bureaucrats in parliament who probably go off for a days clay pigeon shooting at the weekend, unlike the rest of us, lol!

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its another "nanny state " thing

Let boys be boys!
    IS BACK

May 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do the articles only focus on boys? Girls don't play with toy guns too?

Those of you that think it's ok for children to play with toy guns, would you allow them to play with toy knives and pretend to stab each other? or have things like those candy cigarettes and pretend to smoke them? It's all the same in my eyes There's nothing positive about a gun so I don't see why they need to play with them. IMO
    JoJo x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Boys will be boys but mum should be more respectful to your wishes I think
    Debbie

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do the articles only focus on boys? Girls don't play with toy guns too?

Those of you that think it's ok for children to play with toy guns, would you allow them to play with toy knives and pretend to stab each other? or have things like those candy cigarettes and pretend to smoke them? It's all the same in my eyes There's nothing positive about a gun so I don't see why they need to play with them. IMO
    yes and swords
    IS BACK

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine play with dolls. toys, cars etc regardless of sex - it is all equality here. They even have knives to eat with at meal times! (sorry couldn't resist)
    Debbie

May 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Knives to eat with is totally different to knives to pretend to stab each other with
    JoJo x

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast