Registered Childminder since
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Toy guns

ahem
    Quote Originally Posted by ourmadhouse View Post
    I was at a nursery drop off today (same nursery as my lo) two boys playing with plastic guns and my minded lo was given one to play with by one of the boys (I took the minded lo to one side an reminded lo that mummy doesnt like him to play with guns and could he please give it back. Not a problem from my minded lo he handed it back no questions (i was very proud of my minded lo for this and praised him)

I then got a look from another mum who then asked 'doesnt she let him play with guns'

I told her no, but then again i dont give any of mine a gun to play with.

Why she asks, . . . its not like they are going to hurt anybody. (and looks around the other mums for support)

i just said 'its prefrence, everyones different'

I was fine when i gave that responce but now its playing over in my mind, how rude of her to judge others.
    back to OP Well done

I do not have any toy guns in my house, knifes to stab or like wise! The lo 2 I look after put a stick to his mouth and blew , he has been watching his dad, so I said, we don't put sticks in our mouths!

MY husband is in the forces, and we live on a camp, we see the soliders guarding the gates with their guns, I tell the children they are keeping us safe.

Maybe because my own ds 8 has never shown an interest in playing guns I never really think about it, but I have looked after a number of children (boys and girls) over the years and yes some will make guns with lego, crusts and sticks! 2 little ones I currently look after love star wars, so make light sabers (is that right?) out of mega blocks! I don't stop them, but I wouldn't buy toy 'guns' as such! We do have knifes for the kitchen, but they get used for the kitchen play! to buy toys guns then yes they would use them as guns!

My son loves to make rubberband with Y stick bow and arrows! He knows only to shoot the trees! it's all about teaching them IMHO

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread has really got me thinking.

I dont buy guns for the mindees to play with. But a while ago i did buy a bundle of kitchen toys from a charity shop. In it was one of those old space guns the type that you pumped the handle and a disc goes round and sparks fly out and it makes a noise.

Well i removed it, maybe as its a space laser i could let them play space men with it. As i do have the dressing up clothes to go with it.

Oh i dont know
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just remembered something from my childhood. When we moved to our house in Cardiff as a child my dad thought it would be fun to use an air pistol in the local woods.
    This was back in the early 1980s and it was a big heavy thing and you had to put a pellet in each time you fired.
    Anyway, one day my mum was quite a way ahead of us and my dad shot at her 'bum' and she ended up with a massive bruise and was lucky that she was wearing a coat and jeans at the time.

My dad NEVER used it again and hid it. Not seen it for 30yrs but it is in the house somewhere and of course now is illegal!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567