Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chicken pox! exclusion times?

One of my mindees has come down with chicken pox. I wouldn't mind having her as mine children haven't had it and I'd rather they get it over with now. Only thing is, there is another child in my setting. What is the guidelines for exclusion for this? Thanks.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chicken pox! exclusion times?

5 - 7 days or until the spots have all scabbed over. Hth

july 06
    Post Thanks / Like

not sure what the guide lines i think it's
    They are ment to stay away until the last spot has scabed over. But on the other hand i've always said if they've got chicken pox, not ill with it and the other family are still happy for thier children to be mixing then i'm happy to have them.

They've already been playing together so chance's are they'll catch it anyway

HTH

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

There contagious 14 days b4 the spots appear nursery/schools can't take them back till the spots are dry so to be honest your children plus mindie have a good chance of getting it

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all!

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zoe2010 View Post
    There contagious 14 days b4 the spots appear nursery/schools can't take them back till the spots are dry so to be honest your children plus mindie have a good chance of getting it
    Chicken pox is actually only infectious for 48 to 72 hours before the spots break out. I think Zoe may be getting confused with the incubation period which is 2 to 3 weeks. (Hope that doesn't sound rude x)

It then remains infectious until all the blisters have scabbed over as has been said (usually about 5 to 7 days).

It can be spread by contact or via droplets in the air. You can get chicken pox more than once although this is unlikely and depends on how severe the first time was. (My son has had them twice, I have never had them)

Once they have gone the virus lies dormant in the body for life. It can resurface in the future in the form of Shingles, this usually only happens in adults but can happen in kids.

As has already been said exclusion is usually until blisters have scabbed.

Probably more info than you were looking for, lol!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    Chicken pox is actually only infectious for 48 to 72 hours before the spots break out. I think Zoe may be getting confused with the incubation period which is 2 to 3 weeks. (Hope that doesn't sound rude x)

It then remains infectious until all the blisters have scabbed over as has been said (usually about 5 to 7 days).

It can be spread by contact or via droplets in the air. You can get chicken pox more than once although this is unlikely and depends on how severe the first time was. (My son has had them twice, I have never had them)

Once they have gone the virus lies dormant in the body for life. It can resurface in the future in the form of Shingles, this usually only happens in adults but can happen in kids.

As has already been said exclusion is usually until blisters have scabbed.

Probably more info than you were looking for, lol!
    I haven't had it either

1 mindee came out with it sometime after Wed last week, when I last had him, so off this week. Another mindee was off last week while that one was here so avoided it, his mum is pregnant so prob just as well. Not good for the early months.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ipicked my daughter up from school on Monday to be told by her teacher she has a heat rash...... Is it heck!!!!!!
    I took one look at her and knew it was chicken pox. The teacher said she is not a qualified doctor.

The next day after the doctor confirmed pox I rang the school to check their policy for exclusion with spots. They didn'tknow and had to ring me back.

It's terrible, I'm sure my daughter is not the first to get chicken pox at that school.

21st De
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

just be careful that all the spots have scabbed over, my 8 month ol has chicken pox right now, I thought theyd all scabbed till about ten minutes ago and he woke up with 8 more fresh ones! and hes been getting spots a week now
    poor little mite

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

chicken pox

5 days form onset of rash/spots. Then its back to normal...thats on the guide lines of Health protection agency
    wow 2012 already