Do you leave mindees in the car?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you leave mindees in the car?

Another great thread that's made good reading.
    I don't drive so pick ups always on foot.I see many parents leave their children in a carpark not in sight from school yard and leave their babies while picking up older children.I hate seeing it, as they're parents not alot can be done but if it was a fellow minder I'd be horrified and would feel I'd have to report it.

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly it is not illegal in the UK to leave your child in the car unattended, but it is illegal to leave your pet!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nokidshere View Post
    Interestingly it is not illegal in the UK to leave your child in the car unattended, but it is illegal to leave your pet!
    Now why doesn't that surprise me?
    Pauline x

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing

Angel xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Really ....I thought it was...well thats just logical to me that it would be!

Makes ya laugh dont it
    Needs to Zumba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ORKSIE View Post
    Really ....I thought it was...well thats just logical to me that it would be!

Makes ya laugh dont it
    Wonder if my hubby is safe in the car ? Always leaving him waiting when I rush into different shops

Does this make him an animal ?

Angel xxx

moogster1a Guest

It's not illegal to leave a pet in the car!!! As long as you don't cause suffering, ie. make sure a window's left open so they don't overheat.

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Wonder if my hubby is safe in the car ? Always leaving him waiting when I rush into different shops

Does this make him an animal ?

Angel xxx
    Thats funny Angel, I do the same, prehaps next time Ill drop him off at MIL's..
    You never know she might decide to keep him..lol
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

LOOPYLISA Guest

My dd stays in the car when i nip somewhere shes 12 now though , very grown up 12

Would never have left her in the car when she was younger

Pipsqueak Guest

so does this mean you can't lock the kids in the cupboard under the stairs then while you go out and do some shopping

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindee has a sister at nursery. She is 4. Most nights she comes into my house when mum collects mindee but when she is asleep mum leaves her in the car. It always surprises me that she thinks this is OK!
    Grindal

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It always surprises me that she thinks this is OK!
    One of my parents came to sign contracts and left LO in the car on the driveway because she was asleep. I said 'is she ok in there?' and 'did you want to go and get her, we will be a little while' but nope, she didnt go and get her. She looked out the window once, but thats it.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The reasson it's not illegal to leave a child in a car / home is because everytime you bought your shopping in from the car you would technically be breaking the law IYSWIM
    Blaze x

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i'm prepared to get shouted down here......

but i leave my two boys in the car every morning whilst i drop mindee at the first school!

They are 6 and 4 and the school is down a small side road. I park outside the gate and walk mindee about 20 steps up the drive to the main door where he walks in and i walk back to car. Not out of my sight and i am gone about 60 secs. Mindee goes in early as i have to get mine to a second school so there is no school traffic about at this time.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhazy View Post
    Not sure why I'm being picked up on for daring to ask, if you'd read the OP correctly you'd see it's not me doing it, I don;t drive for a start and live next door to the school for another! .
    You didn't do wrong asking the question ( it is often the case that posters get confused with who put what IYSWIM - I know that I do).

Remember that there is no such thing as a silly question because if you are thinking it someone else could be or even worse in the case of something like this they may well be doing it not knowing there is anything wrong in what they are doing as they have done it with there own children ( I am also not saying that those who post it are doing anything wrong if they have permission from Ofsted - although this strikes me as odd as I thought it was against EYFS rules, safeguarding, etc just shows I thought wrong - and parents)

I personally wouldn't do it even if I could see the children in the car but that is just my own personal opinion (can you tell I like sitting on the fence)
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I once saw a car load of kids outside the supermarket with no one in sight and another time someone must have been visiting a neighbour, two little girls in a car, one was hysterical and the windows were open too. I really didnt know what to do at the time, but now with hindsight I should have knocked on all the doors until I found out who had left them.

We dont leave our son in the car even now and he is 7, only time is if we have lots of shopping and we have to park our car on the road, he is is sight all the time and likes to guard the rest of the shopping, not that he would do anything if anyone came along

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post

but i leave my two boys in the car every morning whilst i drop mindee at the first school!

They are 6 and 4 and the school is down a small side road. I park outside the gate and walk mindee about 20 steps up the drive to the main door where he walks in and i walk back to car. Not out of my sight and i am gone about 60 secs. Mindee goes in early as i have to get mine to a second school so there is no school traffic about at this time.
    Your not going to get shouted down - that's your perogative as a parent - what you choose to do as a parent & what is considered acceptable as a CM are 2 very differnt things!
    Blaze x

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont like to leave kids in the car and i always turn up a bit early, park away from school adn make it a nice walk to and from school everyone enjoys it

Although im sure cheeky monkey appriciates all the advise i feel a bit uncomfortable about the 'force' of some replys x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post

They are your children. You dont have to answer to OFSTED over your own children, No one is going to report you for leaving your own children in your car.
    There is a big difference, when your leaving someone elses children in the car.

No offence....no shouting xxx
    Needs to Zumba

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ORKSIE View Post
    They are your children. You dont have to answer to OFSTED over your own children, No one is going to report you for leaving your own children in your car.
    There is a big difference, when your leaving someone elses children in the car.

No offence....no shouting xxx
    Why is it different when its your own children?

Children are children at the end of the day and surely the risks are the same regardless of who they belong to. I am not criticising the person you replied to - I see no problem if the car is in plain sight given the distance involved as described but surely we can't discriminate between minded children and our own given that most posters who have voiced a concern are worried about the car being invoved in an accident etc.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast