Do you leave mindees in the car?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    aly Guest

Default Re: Do you leave mindees in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post
    There are cars parked in front of and behind mine ( i am never first there), so the risk is low. Unless you know the whole set up its unfair to criticise. I have thought about the risks and discussed them with my CSSIW inspector and the parents. My car is sign written and I have many friends at the school. I am just as likely to get run over with the lo's in my arms as i am on my own. And I'd rather it was just me injured!
    This was a big NO-No with my CSSIW inspector...I haven't left mindees in car,I have left my kids if ive gone to pay for petrol.

As others have said there'stoomany risks etc and always being watched and just not worht the risk.

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

In Wales the National Minimum Standards state that a child should never be left unattended in a vehicle (21.6) and it is something I definitely wouldn't do.

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

NO, NEVER.
    Quite simply, there are all sorts of excuses/reasons why to leave them in the car would be easier. Anything could happen. If you can see them and you are metres away then thats obviously different.
    I remember when I was the Parent and I had a childminder. The Childminder left my daughter ( aged 2 ) in the car when she went to pay for petrol and she got caught in the queue, not being able to completely see her, my daughter managed to get out of her seat and intot he front, luckily she never hit the handbrake or got hurt but she did get distressed as she thought 'Minder' had left her. Luckily the car was locked.

On a childminding level, I used to pick up a little boy form reception at midday and childminders/parents woul leave children in their cars, it was only 50 metres away, but it was at back of school, so you could not see them.

I can understand leaving them there for ease, but I think all childminders should put themselves in the parents shoes and re-think or also just imagine the 'What ifs'-
    Sorry for the drone, but its a topic Ive experienced and personally would never opt for.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, we're in Scotland so care commission rather than ofsted, not really sure what to do, think I'll wait and see if she continues doing it. I know it's not her child cos she has 2 girls and it's all boys in the car. It's a odd set up, 2 childminders working together but all the kids they have seem to be preschool age so they spend most of their time dropping off and picking up all over the town.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There was that terrible story in the news a few years ago where a parent left her two kids in the car whilst she nipped into a house she was parked on the drive of. The kids got out of their seats and were mucking around with the cigarette lighter and the car went up in flames in a matter of minutes. The kids perished and when the parent saw the car she tried everything to get at the kids but it was too late.

I just could'nt do it to my own kids or the ones I look after.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhazy View Post
    Thanks, we're in Scotland so care commission rather than ofsted, not really sure what to do, think I'll wait and see if she continues doing it. I know it's not her child cos she has 2 girls and it's all boys in the car. It's a odd set up, 2 childminders working together but all the kids they have seem to be preschool age so they spend most of their time dropping off and picking up all over the town.
    It's a BIG no no in Scotland too, in fact I believe it's actually illegal and you can be prosecuted for it. £ local minders near me have been reported for doing this. Please don't do it, it's not worth the risk x
    Ali xx

Post Thanks / Like

I had a nightmare earlier this year with pre-school collections/drop-offs. The pre-school decided with a little push from OFSTED to not allow the car park to be used as the entrance to the building goes directly into it.

This means parking in a lane (I have to drive as do most others as we come in from various villages) which is so narrow that you have to park close up to hedges and walls so have to get the children out on the "traffic" side in the road. There is not room to open your car door and have another car going by. Then walking about 150m in the road to the car park. Using a pushchair is almost impossible as if a car comes there is no where to go. Still as OFSTED do not allow the children to be left in cars unattended I was doing this twice a day even though I felt sure on my risk assessments this was more dangerous than leaving them. Now, happily, and with much lobbying from parents I am allowed to park on the drive into the car park and a member of staff walks my mindees to the car. The parents still have to struggle along. Since then there has been two near misses and one hit and slightly injured child in a pushchair!

So all in all I suppose we have to do what OFSTED says even when it is not the safest option but this would not have happened without the lack of joined up risk assessing. OFSTED did not (and still will not) allow use of the car park, so pre-school can't to protect there backs and in the end the children are not best served. I nearly stopped going to this pre-school because of the whole situation.

And yes I have contacted OFSTED as have a number of parents after the incidents but they want to keep children safe while in the care of providers even if this leads to them being less safe with carers/parents. Would I have report another childminder for leaving children in the car? I would have to be very sure that there were better options, which I think there would mostly be, but if not and they were doing the best by the children, perhaps having someone stand by the car as one of the nannies did then probably not.

Anni

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    You should never leave a minded child in a car, even at a petrol forecourt as anyway you should not get petrol whilst minding and should get it the evening before if possible.
    One parent at the school leaves her 2yr old in the car for ages (up to half an hour) but always takes her baby out.
    The boy in the car gets up to alsorts as although he is strapped in, she gives him food and a can of red bull (no kidding), to keep him quiet and he does so enjoy, pushing bits of food down the window gap in the door and pouring the drink in as well
    Well if you don't keep an eye on them, they will get into trouble.
    It's in a large car park where everyone is squashed in, so no moving cars to hit, but even so.
    This is one of my biggest fears. I have a probably irrational fear of leaving my own children in the car on a garage forecourt so I always go to the drive-thro if I need to get petrol during the week.
    Regarding the original posters question I would NEVER NEVER leave ANY child in the car to go anywhere, I just would not take the risk, there's too much that can happen. A few years ago just down the road from me a car caught fire on someones drive. They had arrived at their friends house, gone inside for a minute leaving the kids in the car, the car caught fire.
    Like I say my fears are probably irrational but I just wouldn't ever do it.

xxxxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wellybelly View Post
    There was that terrible story in the news a few years ago where a parent left her two kids in the car whilst she nipped into a house she was parked on the drive of. The kids got out of their seats and were mucking around with the cigarette lighter and the car went up in flames in a matter of minutes. The kids perished and when the parent saw the car she tried everything to get at the kids but it was too late.

I just could'nt do it to my own kids or the ones I look after.
    I remember that. It was terrible. About cars going on fire and it not happening much. Listen to the traffic news for a few days there always seem to be stories of vehicles on fire. It happened to my Dad many years ago on a new car he had only had for days. He spotted smoke coming out from under the dashboard, stopped the car and called the fire brigade, seconds and the whole engine was alight.

As I said earlier, I never left my own children and i wouldn't dream of leaving minded children alone in the car. It is a pain sometimes and I have had 4 under fives but they always come out with me.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I remember that. It was terrible. About cars going on fire and it not happening much. Listen to the traffic news for a few days there always seem to be stories of vehicles on fire. It happened to my Dad many years ago on a new car he had only had for days. He spotted smoke coming out from under the dashboard, stopped the car and called the fire brigade, seconds and the whole engine was alight.
    As I said earlier, I never left my own children and i wouldn't dream of leaving minded children alone in the car. It is a pain sometimes and I have had 4 under fives but they always come out with me.
    Same thing happened to my friend, she was a driving instructor, on a lesson, saw smoke coming through the vents and next thing the car was in flames. People think that cars only catch fire with the engine on but it CAN happen just after the engine has been turned off too.

xxxxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It is illegal and against Sageguarding Rules to leave children unattended in a car.

You can be reported for it.

xx
    Needs to Zumba

may 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely definately not! In my opinion, there are no reasons valid enough to leave children of any age unattended in a car. There are any number of things that could happen that do not bear thinking about. To be honest, if I saw that happen at the school that I pick up from, I would report the driver.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

short answer

no

mandy xxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

No you should never leave a child unattended in a car if your a c.m you take children on knowing that you can care for them at all times if that means a dble or triple buggy thats what it takes if you are unable to transport for a short distance how would you manage in a emergency???

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

You're right it is a pain - I do a school run to 3 schools / nurseries every morning and it requires me getting them all out of the car to drop just one child off here, a couple at another and one other here. I have to unload the pushchair, put the kids in then after drop off all back in again and so on till its all done. We are always late lol! But I would never consider leaving any of them whilst I just run in here or there however close to the car I am.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    they were a little hazy on this as i asked them years ago about this very same thing

i used to take a boy to nursery and had 3 other little ones, i parked outside the gates and ran him in and asked ofsted if it was ok as i could see them at all time, the inspector ummed and aahed and in the end said prob not in case the car ignited ( i have been drinving for 25 years and this has never happened but i see her point) it may be worth asking but to be honest i think the rules are that we DO NOT leave children in the car unattended ever
    I do understand this but i wouldn't say the child was unattended as it takes less time to do this than to set up my double buggy which I usually have to do at the rear of the car and would be further away and less able to see the children at the time!

I am literally next to and in full view of the car when I take my DD although will just drop her at the door from now on!

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Right from the start i was told it was a no no, like others have said it is a safeguarding issue and if seen should be reported, so answer to question a definate no.

Blue Boy Guest

There is only one word that can be used "NO"

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

If my kids were minded and the minder did that, I'd report her and take my kids out. I have left my 3 in the car outside a shop when I nip in for one thing, but my 8 year old locks the door when I go and I'm literally a minute, but it still worries me. If someone's paying you, surely you need their child/ren with you at all times? I once left my daughter in the car while I was at a cashpoint, I was next to the car and she was about 4, she got out of the seat belt and let herself out of the car, into the main road! Never again!

I guess if the parents are aware and ok about it, then fair enough, but if they don't know, that's out of order.

xx

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

To those that even just contemplate it, DONT,

thro personal experiance, on MY own DRIVEWAY, I had to have 7-8 weeks off work, due to an accident that depends, I guess which way you looked at it (mine that is) was no fault of my own (OFSTED, happened to agree and that was the end of it !!)
    HOwever, it took me a few months to be able to walk properly, and just after a year on,I still cannot run as i used too.
    I had no money coming in during that time, and of the 4 children I had, (2 were siblings, 1 of whom caused the accident) I terminated there and then so to speak, I was left with only 1 part timer when I went back to work..
    So No I wouldnt leave a mindee in a car, No.
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast