Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Registered Childminder since
    Jun2010
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it just me?

A young lad from my sons class at school has just called round to see if my son is coming out to play. They are 6 year olds. It seems everyone round here lets there kids out without hesitation. Am i over paranoid by not letting him out to roam the streets?
    I've lost 11lbs so far with bootsdiets.com!

LOOPYLISA Guest

Default Re: Is it just me?

No my dd never went out unless i could see her at all times

Usually in the back ally if she did

Post Thanks / Like

No, I wouldn't let a six year old play out on the street on their own

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

~Chelle~ Guest

My sons, aged 11 and 8 play out the front, where I can see them. The older one is allowed around the corner to his friends house.

I saw my neighbours 3 year old daughter outside my house yesterday and thought she had escaped, as she had done before. Took her back home and her mum said, "oh no it is fine, she is playing up the top field with her brother", who is 7 Well the brother was no where in sight. We live in a cul de sac but there are cars coming and going all the time, in and out of driveways and there is no way that someone would see her if they were reversing out of their drive!

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Happens over here as well, my son (10) has started playing out in the square (small area on the street) but there are always little toddlers out there!
    God Bless xx T

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

2 gals knocked for my son last night at 9pm asking if he can go out on his bike, they are in his class at school, he is only 8 and was sleeping!
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No don't think you are being over paranoid at all. When my daughter was growing up it used to drive me mad when other parents used to let their kids roam here there and everywhere, and then your kids think you are being mean when you tell them 'No'! x

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't let my 9yr old play out on the street

Jun2010
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad its not just me then. My daughter is nearly 11 and she is allowed to the park or her friends for max of 1 hr then has to come back. Where we live the houses are on a footpath rather than the road but i live in a 3 storey house and my lounge is in the middle so i cant even sit and watch him out the front. I walked to the shop the other day and a boy of maybe 3 was out on his own and has been several times. Its awful.
    I've lost 11lbs so far with bootsdiets.com!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a rule that if it's a school night, then my kids can't go out past 7pm.
    We have fields and a large wooded area in front of the houses all surrounded by fences so they are not on the road.

If it's nice like today I would rather they play out there (my own kids and their friends), than in my garden.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine went out to play when they were six, it is quiet where we are and they were only (still are) allowed up and down the street in front of the house, they need to learn to play and learn boundries and trust etc.
    Ali xx

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

No I don't let my 6 year old out to play in the streets and we live in a cul de sac!

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

1 of mine is nearly 16 and he's not allowed out unless there is a reason e.g. football etc - I like to know where he is - I can't settle otherwise.

6? I would die of worry.

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

my dd is 6 id never dream of letting her play out but were on a main rd, maybe if i was on an estate and could play in front of house i would watch her through a window. i think it depends where you live how safe it is and time but always under close eye.

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

7yr old mindee plays out that they ride their bikes and play in the actual road and the don't live in a cul de sac.

My 7yr old isn't allowed to play out but there are no children the same age around here so its never been a problem.

aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'GOOD'
    Post Thanks / Like

i send my ds out on the path outside my house......with his dad
    no way could he go on his own, my neighbours let their children out, 6 and 8 so my ds throws the ball over to them from our back garden or they come in and play.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

ooooh nooooooo me neither!
    x
    What's for you, wont pass by you

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

No it's not just you!

I live at the top of a cul-de-sac and the pavement carries on through to a small toddler park and an open space around the footpath which goes on down to our local school. So from various windows in the house I can see most of the park, the open space and the adjoining school playing field but my children still didn't go out by themselves until they were 7 (and I flitted like a hawk from window to window, lol!)
    My son is now 10 and is allowed to go a little further afield, but only to places I know like friend's houses, my dd is now 8 and apart from one of her friends down the road she still has to stay 'in the zone'.
    My 3 yr old can't go out unless me or daddy takes her, the other two are always asking if they can take her to the park because it seems as if half the estate's toddlers are cared for by their siblings and they want to look after their sister aswell. The things that go on make me cringe- kids flying out into roads on bikes and scooters, swearing, fights, children as young as 3 and 4 (and sometimes younger) being let out with older siblings, some of whom are only 6 themselves

It causes such arguments in our house, and I'm having real problems with my son's behaviour because all the other kids in his class are allowed to wander where they like and are out until 9 or 10pm, but I just won't let him- he can't seem to understand that all these kids are the ones who are in trouble at school and with the local police, basically because their parents don't give a stuff
    I sometimes think I am being too over protective but then I see how some of these children behave and talk when I help out at youth club and I am just so glad that I know where my kids are and what they're up to!

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a green outside my house, which is also a cul de sac and my own children went out aged 11 and 8 but they had to stay outside. Now I see the new children out there ages range from 3 to 13 and they are all generally at the other end by the road waving to passing cars. Makes my stomach turn at the thought of how easy they could go missing

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

no its not you

my 13 year old daughter is on the park with friends as we speak and to take my mine of being paranoid im chatting to you lot til 8oclock when she returns home
    One life live it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast