I am in a quandry and don't know what to do and would appreciate some opinions.

I care for 2 afterschool children a 10 year old girl and an 11 year old boy. Also have my own 11 year old daughter who often isn't here in the evening. I have been given notice by the 10 year old's parent - which isn't a surprise really - the mum said she feels she is too old to come to a childminder! The dilemma I have is that will leave the 11 year old here without anyone of the same age most of the time. When he is here I have a 3 year old, 2 year old and my own younger daughter who is 6. He will be going to secondary school in September and in preparation for this has been starting to go home on his own occasionally. Although he is polite and has always been very happy here I can tell from his body language that he does not want to come anymore - especially after having a taste of the freedom of going home alone. I have tried with the older children but they haven't been interested in anything I have offered (I think, maybe, part of the problem is that my own daugher can see her friends after school-but I don't want her resenting my job).

I did keep my daughter at home yesterday - but he didn't even want to do anything with her - even though they get on very well.

I am not sure if I should say to the mum about letting him leave and go home on his own, or grin and bear it - trying again to see if I can find something that he likes to do.

Thanks for reading.