Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can childminders countersign passports

In a previously life I was a pub landlady and I was allowed to sign passports. Mind you having said that I did have to stand in court and swear on the bible before being granted my licence, so perhaps that had something to do with it

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can. I have signed with no problems. Just put my ofsted number on it.

Lesley

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wendywu and I have done several for each other and each others family members over the last few years. I have also done some for mindee's parents.

Not only are we recognised as professionals ( must remember to tell my mother in law that ! ) but if you read the passport requirements it says professional or person of standing in the community ( or summat like that ).
    I think it's only since we have been regulated by ofsted that this has come about.

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Im confused to. As I rang passport officer and he told me I cant sign for anyone. And I would get fined? Although we are professional we need that bit of paper lol. So now I dont understand lol x x

aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'GOOD'
    Post Thanks / Like

i thought you had to be a level 4/5 qualified to sign passports?
    ive just got my ds signed by his school teacher

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I do laugh about this whole thing. I mean what makes someone with a degree anymore honest than someone without. I think we have all heard of dishonest bankers, doctors and lawyers, haven't we?
    I realise they need a standard, but to say CM's aren't allowed and can be fined is pretty crazy

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree with you! Thats why I rang as in my eyes im professional and registered but was told no! I said but I a professional body but they said I cant. In my eyes especially if its for kids we know them better than the doctors who see them how often? Yes we see them virtually every day x

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done at least 10 over the last few years. Twinkles and another minder friend of mine have just done 4 for my family in the last month.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish someone had posted this a month ago. lol I was asked to sign for a parent, i then rang the passport agency and asked them to be told NO, not unless i was a teacher, doctor etc.
    Glad to see i can sign them if asked now though.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I called & we can - childminders couldn't before OFSTED but now we are registered we can (the rules are / were due to change next year- depending on if the new government interfer) so that only people with level 4 or above can sign - but as things stand we can (we are classed in the same catergory as teachers)
    HTH
    Blaze x

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammyN View Post
    i thought you had to be a level 4/5 qualified to sign passports?
    ive just got my ds signed by his school teacher
    I used to sign passports when I was a shift manager at a local food processing plant. I had was only qualified to level 2 in production

I think it depends on how much trust and responsiblility you have in your the job you are doing

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they can. I have signed a dozen or so and only 1 was returned questioning my "professionalism". I phoned them and they are happy to accept Ofsted as our registering body and now I send a copy of my certificate with every signature.
    Debbie

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I wish the person at end of phone in october last yr would have checked properly. Would have saved my family going to doctors and paying. But thanks for clearing it as now also I know for the future x

~Chelle~ Guest

I have signed for two of my mindees. I put down that I was an Ofsted Registered Childminder and they called me to confirm my registration number.

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I have signed for two mindees as well, and no problems.
    Teacake2

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i emailed the passport office and explained i was ofsted registered, had a URN, etc etc etc and got the following reply! so i don't understand how some childminders are being accepted! esp as i stated in my email that i was aware that some childminders had been signing and it had not been a problem!

Thank you for your enquiry
    Please find the list below of countersignaturies that we use this does not include childminders.
    A countersignature is required for the following passport applications:

he person countersigning the application form must live in the UK, hold a current British, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Irish passport and have known the applicant* for minimum 2 years. They must write their valid passport number in section 10 of the form. Old blue passports are not acceptable as a countersignatory's passport.

A countersignature must be a person who enjoys a good reputation in the community and who possesses a current British passport and has credentials that can be checked

Anyone who lives at the same address as you or relatives (including step-parents) are not allowed to sign.

ACCEPTABLE COUNTERSIGNATORIES ARE:

ACCOUNTANT
    AIRLINE PILOT
    ARTICLED CLERK OF A LIMITED COMPANY
    ASSURANCE AGENT OF A RECOGNISED COMPANY
    BANK/BUILDING SOCIETY OFFICIAL
    BARRISTER
    BROKER
    CHAIRMAN/DIRECTOR OF LIMITED COMPANY
    CHEMIST
    CHIROPODIST
    CHRISTIAN SCIENCE PRACTITIONER
    COMMISSIONER OF OATHS
    COUNCILLOR: LOCAL OR COUNTY
    CIVIL SERVANT (PERMANENT - NON IPS STAFF)
    DENTIST
    DESIGNATED PREMISES SUPERVISORS
    DIRECTOR/MANAGER OF A REGISTERED CHARITY
    DIRECTOR/MANAGER/PERSONNEL OFFICER OF A VAT REGISTERED COMPANY*
    DOCTOR
    DRIVING INSTRUCTOR (must be approved)
    ENGINEER (with professional qualifications)
    FIRE SERVICE OFFICIAL
    FUNERAL DIRECTOR
    INSURANCE AGENT (full time) OF A RECOGNISED COMPANY
    JOURNALIST
    JUSTICE OF THE PEACE
    LEGAL SECRETARY (fellow and associate Members of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
    LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICER
    MANAGER/PERSONNEL OFFICER OF A LTD COMPANY(COMPANY ADDRESS)
    MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT (MP)
    MEMBER OF HER MAJESTY'S ARMED FORCES
    MERCHANT NAVY OFFICER
    MINISTER OF A RECOGNISED RELIGION
    NURSE (Registered Nurse (RN), Registered General Nurse (RGN) or holder of a BA (Hons/BSc/Diploma in nursing)
    OFFICERS OF THE ARMED SERVICES (ACTIVE OR RETIRED)
    OPTICIAN
    PARALEGAL (Certified Paralegals, Qualified Paralegal and Associate Members of the Institute of Paralegals)
    PERSON WITH HONOURS (e.g. OBE, MBE, etc.)
    PERSONAL LICENCE HOLDERS (People formerly known as a licencee of a public house ONLY)
    PHOTOGRAPHER (PROFESSIONAL)
    POLICE OFFICER
    POST OFFICE OFFICIAL
    PROFESSIONAL MEMBERS OF BRITISH COMPUTER SOCIETY, INCLUDING ASSOCIATE (AMBCS), MEMBER (MBCS) AND FELLOW (FBCS)
    PRESIDENT/SECRETARY OF A RECOGNISED ORGANISATION
    SALVATION ARMY OFFICER
    SOCIAL WORKER
    SOLICITOR
    STATE REGISTERED PARAMEDIC
    SURVEYOR
    TEACHER/LECTURER
    TRADE UNION OFFICIAL
    TRAVEL AGENT (QUALIFIED)
    VALUERS AND AUCTIONEERS (FELLOW AND ASSOCIATE MEMBERS OF THE INCORPORATED SOCIETY)
    WARRANT OFFICERS AND CHIEF PETTY OFFICERS

Any retired professional person can countersign, e.g. Retired Teacher. They should give as their occupation their former title followed by (retired)

If a professional person has not retired and no longer works in the field their qualifications relate to they cannot sign. The exceptions to this are members of professional bodies e.g. Chartered Accountants, Chartered Surveys, Solicitors, Barristers etc. They can countersign and state that they are retired or non-practicing and then give the name of the professional body to which they belong.

Thank you.
    Customer service e-mail team

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

A countersignature must be a person who enjoys a good reputation in the community and who possesses a current British passport and has credentials that can be checked
    guess that rules us out then

honestly, do they not realise what we go through to do our job???

editted to add........ what makes a travel agent more qualified to do this than us??
    IS BACK

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    i emailed the passport office and explained i was ofsted registered, had a URN, etc etc etc and got the following reply! so i don't understand how some childminders are being accepted! esp as i stated in my email that i was aware that some childminders had been signing and it had not been a problem!

Thank you for your enquiry
    Please find the list below of countersignaturies that we use this does not include childminders.
    A countersignature is required for the following passport applications:

he person countersigning the application form must live in the UK, hold a current British, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Irish passport and have known the applicant* for minimum 2 years. They must write their valid passport number in section 10 of the form. Old blue passports are not acceptable as a countersignatory's passport.

Anyone who lives at the same address as you or relatives (including step-parents) are not allowed to sign.

ACCEPTABLE COUNTERSIGNATORIES ARE:

ACCOUNTANT
    AIRLINE PILOT
    ARTICLED CLERK OF A LIMITED COMPANY
    ASSURANCE AGENT OF A RECOGNISED COMPANY
    BANK/BUILDING SOCIETY OFFICIAL
    BARRISTER
    BROKER
    CHAIRMAN/DIRECTOR OF LIMITED COMPANY
    CHEMIST
    CHIROPODIST
    CHRISTIAN SCIENCE PRACTITIONER
    COMMISSIONER OF OATHS
    COUNCILLOR: LOCAL OR COUNTY
    CIVIL SERVANT (PERMANENT - NON IPS STAFF)
    DENTIST
    DESIGNATED PREMISES SUPERVISORS
    DIRECTOR/MANAGER OF A REGISTERED CHARITY
    DIRECTOR/MANAGER/PERSONNEL OFFICER OF A VAT REGISTERED COMPANY*
    DOCTOR
    DRIVING INSTRUCTOR (must be approved)
    ENGINEER (with professional qualifications)
    FIRE SERVICE OFFICIAL
    FUNERAL DIRECTOR
    INSURANCE AGENT (full time) OF A RECOGNISED COMPANY
    JOURNALIST
    JUSTICE OF THE PEACE
    LEGAL SECRETARY (fellow and associate Members of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
    LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICER
    MANAGER/PERSONNEL OFFICER OF A LTD COMPANY(COMPANY ADDRESS)
    MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT (MP)
    MEMBER OF HER MAJESTY'S ARMED FORCES
    MERCHANT NAVY OFFICER
    MINISTER OF A RECOGNISED RELIGION
    NURSE (Registered Nurse (RN), Registered General Nurse (RGN) or holder of a BA (Hons/BSc/Diploma in nursing)
    OFFICERS OF THE ARMED SERVICES (ACTIVE OR RETIRED)
    OPTICIAN
    PARALEGAL (Certified Paralegals, Qualified Paralegal and Associate Members of the Institute of Paralegals)
    PERSON WITH HONOURS (e.g. OBE, MBE, etc.)
    PERSONAL LICENCE HOLDERS (People formerly known as a licencee of a public house ONLY)
    PHOTOGRAPHER (PROFESSIONAL)
    POLICE OFFICER
    POST OFFICE OFFICIAL
    PROFESSIONAL MEMBERS OF BRITISH COMPUTER SOCIETY, INCLUDING ASSOCIATE (AMBCS), MEMBER (MBCS) AND FELLOW (FBCS)
    PRESIDENT/SECRETARY OF A RECOGNISED ORGANISATION
    SALVATION ARMY OFFICER
    SOCIAL WORKER
    SOLICITOR
    STATE REGISTERED PARAMEDIC
    SURVEYOR
    TEACHER/LECTURER
    TRADE UNION OFFICIAL
    TRAVEL AGENT (QUALIFIED)
    VALUERS AND AUCTIONEERS (FELLOW AND ASSOCIATE MEMBERS OF THE INCORPORATED SOCIETY)
    WARRANT OFFICERS AND CHIEF PETTY OFFICERS

Any retired professional person can countersign, e.g. Retired Teacher. They should give as their occupation their former title followed by (retired)

If a professional person has not retired and no longer works in the field their qualifications relate to they cannot sign. The exceptions to this are members of professional bodies e.g. Chartered Accountants, Chartered Surveys, Solicitors, Barristers etc. They can countersign and state that they are retired or non-practicing and then give the name of the professional body to which they belong.

Thank you.
    Customer service e-mail team
    I didnt think cm could sign

Hey ho im not one anymore so i will worry no more, thank goodness our neighbour is a nurse and does it free of charge for us

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i will still sign them as they are not being returned.
    Twinkles has just done my DD and DH and my other minder friend did me and my other DD. Just last month. So i would not panic about it.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
    guess that rules us out then

honestly, do they not realise what we go through to do our job???

editted to add........ what makes a travel agent more qualified to do this than us??
    Heckey Thump I'm sure I don't know but as I'm a qualified Travel Agent - I can be quite truthful and say I still don't get it - I also hadn't realised that travel agents could do it. And then ofcourse way way back many centuries ago in a past life (When I lived in Dublin) I was a Legal Secretary so there you go - I'm just going to keep on signing them.

In Ireland its only a Police man who can sign them and about 12 years ago when I went over there i was renewing my passport and when I went to the station the police man said he didn't know me - My reply was that surely that is the whole point - it I was known to the police then I'm not a suitable candidate to be let loose on other countries. He just laughed and signed it.
    Celest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast