Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Warning over baby slings...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...referrer=yahoo

If a sling is needed I HIGHLY recommend this one:

http://www.hugabub.com/flex/position_hugabub/88/1

(the original hugabub - around £65 in the uk)

...it is not the same as those mentioned in the article.
    Blaze x

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Warning over baby slings...

I have wondered about this before; if they could suffocate a baby. Chloe didn't like the one I got so I've not been able to use it anyway. I've been using a babybjorn one which she didn't like until she was 4 months old but now she loves it!

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved my Baby Bjorn one - problem is my eldest outgrew it soooo quickly - when J was born I had discovered the hugabub
    Blaze x

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep babybjorn is so comfy! She gets right the giggles in it!

The deaths could be down to cot death as these deaths can occur anywhere baby is sleeping though, might not be the slings I guess. Very sad indeed though, can't imagine looking down and finding your baby had died while you were holding her/him. Must be absolutely awful.

(Thought you were going for a couple of weeks? Glad you haven't!!)

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know - makes me feel like crying - just the thought (shudder)!

...I was supposed to be - I could loose interent at anytime! I don't have email or TV ...perhaps they forgot about the internet connection - I hope so!
    Blaze x

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

So it's slings now instead of co-sleeping! Wonder when the mail will go back to that one!
    Come back David....

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's just one specific type of sling.
    Blaze x

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    I think it's just one specific type of sling.

Sorry Blaze, wasn't having a go at you but I do think that seeing this will discourage some parents to do what millions of people all over the world do naturally every day.

People see using a sling as something abnormal when it is fantastic and helps the bonding process and BF is easier.

I used a maya wrap (ring sling) then an ergo and people used to think I was weird that I wanted to hold my baby close!

I didn't like the babybjorn as it wasn't recommended for under 4 months old due to pressure on the babys spine at such a young age.(though I did have one)

I do feel that the "free press" jump on things without proper research and make doing things like co-sleeping or sling using a bit "odd" to those who have never considered or who actually may benefit.
    Come back David....

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My Babybjorn was recommended by the hospital for prem babies (my eldest was prem - she was a hefalump though & outgrew it really quickly)...I have used slings with all of mine & co - slept with mine too....I know what you mean about the press jusmping on things! ...hence why I made a point of recommending a sling.
    Blaze x

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

ive never used a sling as never really liked the look of them, but i know people who have and they love them.

What confused me tho is nowadays we are all told that leaving babies to sleep in carseats is bad as they should be laid flat, the same as why some prams are for 3-6mnths plus because they dont lay flat. but why is it ok to have a tiny baby sleeping in a sling where they are all curled up. i'm sure they like it and are very cosy but isnt it bad for their backs?

Not wanting to offend anyone that uses them, just curious

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No sweets, i know what you mean, I've thought the same thing as well. Don't look good for their backs at all but I guess they must be okay.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

ive never used a sling so i cant really comment on them but it does worry me when i see ppl with them on what happens if they fall can happen to any one at any time just a little worry of mine...
    Dust its Fairy Dust

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

oooh im a sling bearing baby wearer! ive only just stopped carry ds2 as he is incredibly huge. i would never carry my babies any other way whilst they are small enough for me to do so but then i dont read newspapers or watch the news so im not sure what that says about me?! lol

i adore my closer sling and have a few others but never got on with my baby bjorn. it isnt comfortable after you have worn a proper sling
    What's for you, wont pass by you

June 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by babs View Post
    ive never used a sling so i cant really comment on them but it does worry me when i see ppl with them on what happens if they fall can happen to any one at any time just a little worry of mine...
    I don't use a sling at the moment but I used to with my own children and fell over at one point. What I did was put my hands out to save myself and the baby from getting hurt just as you would do if you fell over without a sling on.

Had I been carrying him in my arms I would have surely dropped him and possibly landed on top of him. (Couldn't be in a buggy as the terrain wasn't suitable)

I don't like the slings as in the article much but do have a Closer sling which is fab. I'm looking forward to it getting some use in September

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Another pathetic Daily Mail article, I saw the headline and photo and decided not to waste my time reading it. The photograph showed a celeb wearing a sling to protect the baby from the press. It wasn't worn in the correct position, it looked so uncomfortable.

Daily Mail =

As far as infant death is concerned, I thought the risk was lower. The baby is close to its parent/carer and mimics their breathing pattern.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I never liked the look of those types of slings anyway, can't imagine they are that comfy when the baby is not being held close to you. I did love my hugabub though!

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by babs View Post
    Me too, hence dd never had one

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a specific style of sling that is causing concern - here is an article about it
    http://www.sleepingbaby.net/safety.php
    I loved my wrap sling and so did my boy, he was within my sight the entire time he was in my sling, and his face was never covered and his neck was always in the correct position. If I ever fell over forwards then I too would have put my hands down to prevent my own face smashing into the floor as well as to prevent my son becoming injured. If I was to ever have another child then I would not even bother with a pushchair at all for him, I would get another wrap sling - but NEVER one of these holdall style slings that are causing the concern.

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nannymcflea View Post
    Sorry Blaze, wasn't having a go at you but I do think that seeing this will discourage some parents to do what millions of people all over the world do naturally every day.

People see using a sling as something abnormal when it is fantastic and helps the bonding process and BF is easier.

I used a maya wrap (ring sling) then an ergo and people used to think I was weird that I wanted to hold my baby close!

I didn't like the babybjorn as it wasn't recommended for under 4 months old due to pressure on the babys spine at such a young age.(though I did have one)

I do feel that the "free press" jump on things without proper research and make doing things like co-sleeping or sling using a bit "odd" to those who have never considered or who actually may benefit.
    i used a maya wrap and it was brilliant i don't see how you would suffocate a baby using it correctly i also made a mai tai one which was also good but preferred my maya wrap
    shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    ive never used a sling as never really liked the look of them, but i know people who have and they love them.

What confused me tho is nowadays we are all told that leaving babies to sleep in carseats is bad as they should be laid flat, the same as why some prams are for 3-6mnths plus because they dont lay flat. but why is it ok to have a tiny baby sleeping in a sling where they are all curled up. i'm sure they like it and are very cosy but isnt it bad for their backs?

Not wanting to offend anyone that uses them, just curious
    i still carried dd2 in a sling at 3-6 months you start to put them in a upright possession or even on your back and only lay them down if they fall asleep
    shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast