Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Warning over baby slings...

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    ive never used a sling as never really liked the look of them, but i know people who have and they love them.

What confused me tho is nowadays we are all told that leaving babies to sleep in carseats is bad as they should be laid flat, the same as why some prams are for 3-6mnths plus because they dont lay flat. but why is it ok to have a tiny baby sleeping in a sling where they are all curled up. i'm sure they like it and are very cosy but isnt it bad for their backs?

Not wanting to offend anyone that uses them, just curious
    It is the length of time a baby is being left in car seats these days that is causing the problems - they are often in them to feed, then sleep, then carried to the car, then put on the pushchair chassis, then back in the car and finally only taken out to have a nappy change before being put back in again.
    Good slings don't curve the child's back in the way car seat do, and the child's weight is not all pushed onto his hips it is distributed across his entire well supported body. Also it would be very unlikely for the mum to stand in one position for so many hours keeping the child in one position (like is the case with a car seat). The mum would be moving and adjusting the sling whilst she wears it, and would take it off after a much shorter period of time which will allow the child's body to change position.
    The car seat position is an entirely different thing to wearing slings, both in position and timeframe.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    It is the length of time a baby is being left in car seats these days that is causing the problems - they are often in them to feed, then sleep, then carried to the car, then put on the pushchair chassis, then back in the car and finally only taken out to have a nappy change before being put back in again.
    Good slings don't curve the child's back in the way car seat do, and the child's weight is not all pushed onto his hips it is distributed across his entire well supported body. Also it would be very unlikely for the mum to stand in one position for so many hours keeping the child in one position (like is the case with a car seat). The mum would be moving and adjusting the sling whilst she wears it, and would take it off after a much shorter period of time which will allow the child's body to change position.
    The car seat position is an entirely different thing to wearing slings, both in position and timeframe.
    thankyou for explaining! it makes good sense.

Pipsqueak Guest

Haven't women carried babies in slings for centuries?

Pop one out, back on your feet, wrap baby up close against your body (and eventually slung on their backs when they get big enough) and out to work again????

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Haven't women carried babies in slings for centuries?

Pop one out, back on your feet, wrap baby up close against your body (and eventually slung on their backs when they get big enough) and out to work again????
    just what I was thinking Pip

I loved my sling and so did dd.
    I took her for nice walks and really enjoyed not having to push the pushchair and having her close

and it is the parents responsibility to ensure the child can breath in it..like it would be if child is in a pushchair with a blanket over it's head....

It is all about how you use things...it reminds me of babies that have died because they were left in a babywalker upstairs without a safety gate on the stairs and feel down...that cannot be blamed on the babywalker either....in my mind
    Nicole xx

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry haven't read all posts, but am replying to original post!

I grew up in Africa, and never once saw a sling like all the celebs use! maybe its from middle east I'm not sure! I personally would not trust one!

In Africa a baby is carred from newborn on the back in a large blanket and I myself was carried like that by my nanny, see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWItHnkfLl8

Hope the link works its great!

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

that is what we learned at our sling meeting on how to carry a child on the back...but even the other carrying methods of front and side are different to the celeb-slings....which I think are as someone already mentioned designed to hide baby....
    Nicole xx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desi-101 View Post
    Sorry haven't read all posts, but am replying to original post!

I grew up in Africa, and never once saw a sling like all the celebs use! maybe its from middle east I'm not sure! I personally would not trust one!

In Africa a baby is carred from newborn on the back in a large blanket and I myself was carried like that by my nanny, see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWItHnkfLl8

Hope the link works its great!
    My son carries his teddy on his back like this in a kanga, he likes to carry his babies in a sling too. I always used a front carry cos my boy has such gorgeous eyes I liked to be able to look into them the whole time.

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    My son carries his teddy on his back like this in a kanga, he likes to carry his babies in a sling too. I always used a front carry cos my boy has such gorgeous eyes I liked to be able to look into them the whole time.
    i made my dd1 a mai tai sling to put her "baby" in
    shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent link here explaining and deomnstrating the risks of this particular kind of sling http://babyslingsafety.blogspot.com/ really worth a look esp the bits at the bottom, the case studies.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I got an infantino sling off ebay for my baby as with havin a 2yr old thought it wud b easier 2 have baby in sling an toddler in pram when out an about. Just looked on website an goin 2 return it as instructed an may get a replacement x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12