Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How many of you earn a fortune

At the beginning of the year for a few weeks, I was earning £563 a week.

It was lovely!! As someone else said, i was able to do more excursions, buy toys and more resources etc.

Now I am earning just over £300 a week. But I have one full time and one part time space available, so could potentially earn more again if I fill those.
    Helen

Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't even earn £600 a month so no fortune for me LOL!

I do hope someone points out on ***** that this massive fortune is subject to tax at the end of the financial year. Or are they all assuming we don't put it through the books hmmmmm.

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep well away from ***** as it seems to upset everyone too much

Sept 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

im only on around 180 a week but thats for two days work and an after schoolie 3 afternoons so im enjoying some free time for a change

aly Guest

I'm averaging £85 a week...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For the last five years I had been earning in excess of 25,000. My own children are now grown up and no longer take up any of my spaces. BUT I was working flat out in excess of 60 hours a week and most days having between 8 and 10 children before and after school. I have now decided that even though it was nice to have the money and really nice to be able to spend it I would rather earn less and have more time and energy to spend with my own family. I now just look after under fives and try and get at least one day off a week. There is a good opportunity to earn good money if you can fill all your spaces and are prepared to put in the hours.

Denise

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have four part timers on my books and earn £300 a week if i had 3 full time I would be earning £450. I haven't got any before and after schoolies as I need to save a bit and change the car.

However 2 of my mums are pregnant so don't know what's going to happen with them, but my DH who has been self employed for 15 years says don't worry something always turns up. Hope he is right.

Still this is the most I have ever earned (just) even after expenses tax etc. Beats catching the bus into town everyday and being treated like dirt (no matter how hard you work) by some customers and management of a high end womens clothing chain store. This is the first time in years I don't hate Mondays (even look foward to them).
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

And to think I thought we did it all for love?!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

The most I managed in a month was £1,300, that was lots of part timers and 2 before/after school. BUT I was the cheapest in the area so could have earned more!
    Come back David....

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    6 and 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

The maximum I can earn is £340 per week and I am allowed 8 but that all the people in my area will pay and if I charged more I would be so more expensive than the others I'd never get business, so minus expenses I would at my maximum earn £85 profit a week or £4080 oer annum......now that's depressing!
    claire

Pipsqueak Guest

It feels like i am paying people to have their children!!! lol

I am wishing and wishing i could hit half that amount per week or even a month!!! Things are really poor (literally) round here at the moment.
    Couple of years ago I was 'raking' it in I suppose you could say - pulling in nearly £300 a week but that was many hours input.

***** and the witches on there!!! it ought to be renamed Burn the Childminder!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am one of the fortunate ones in that we are busier than ever here and our rates average out at about £3.75-£4.50 per hour. I charge session rates so get paid for 10 hours per day.

I think if you have children under 8 at home, add on the amount you would get paid if you didn't have them and that will give you a better idea of "what if". Also consider what you would pay out if you went out to work and had to pay for childcare, petrol etc...

Also our expenses are high but a lot are what we would pay anyway but are any added tax deduction.

Don't under value your earnings because of *****, they are a waste of time and very jealous.

Please can you put a link to the post if you can find it.
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    I keep well away from ***** as it seems to upset everyone too much
    ahh I get so cross with ***** sometimes. As I mum I like to read the noticeboard / nearly new but I get so irate at times with the childcare section adn people saying things about childminding and making so many ridiculous assumptions

...been some really shocking ones of late I do feel
    a mummy to a new puppy! My lovely King Charlie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    It feels like i am paying people to have their children!!! lol

I am wishing and wishing i could hit half that amount per week or even a month!!! Things are really poor (literally) round here at the moment.
    Couple of years ago I was 'raking' it in I suppose you could say - pulling in nearly £300 a week but that was many hours input.

***** and the witches on there!!! it ought to be renamed Burn the Childminder!
    one post I read was talking about "childminder bashing" - I thought that was terrible! - bad mouthing childminders undeservedly makes me so cross!

I too wish I was earning a fortune! - so true - you do this job because you love it - if I wanted to work to earn a fortune I would ahve chosen a different career and been a brain surgeon!

I earn about £250 a week but as you all can imagine my goodness I do work for it! - paperwork gallore!
    a mummy to a new puppy! My lovely King Charlie!

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I know those of us who don't have young children of our own can potentially earn quit a bit depending on where you live - but for me I had hardly anything toy/resource wise so have had to spend an abosolute fortune since I started on Sept 2007. My next big spend has to be on my garden and that will eat a huge way into my earnings this year. I need to find a cheap keen gardener who whould like to take on a project. My friends brother is an out of work gardener but will only work for £12.00 ph and I cannot justify that because of all the hours of work I need doing. I know its not a terrible amount but there are gardeners round here who will do it for £6.00 but they are all booked up.
    Celest

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

my earnings per week are ok but I have quite a lot of expenses too.
    people tend to forget that if you work somewhere and say you earn the 600 a week they think you get to keep it all.
    if you take about 2/3 off as expenses for example it isnt really that much anymore

on top of that I think in scotland we are limited as we can only have 3 after schoolers not like many of you down south who have quite a lot more than that...not that I would want anymore...

I also think even if you have your own kids that take up a space you still save money you would have to pay to a nursery or other cm to look after them if you are out working...

I really think something should be done to show people what cm'ing is really like..and the hard work that goes into it if you do it properly
    Nicole xx

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, on the 1 hand it's nice to see the money coming in but a heck of a lot of it gets eaten up by expenses.

But of course a lot of these expenses can be enjoyed my me and my family

A portion of heating, lighting etc.

Trips out I can enjoy and so can 1 of my children.

Ice creams - if I am buying them 1 I buy myself 1 and put it through (I wouldn't be going near the ice cream van if I wasn't minding so I think I am justified to add 1 for me onto the expenses bill).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
    Yes, on the 1 hand it's nice to see the money coming in but a heck of a lot of it gets eaten up by expenses.
    I know I spend far too much on resources and if you add in all the extra hours spent on paperwork my hourly rate is peanuts!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

TheBTeam Guest

Same here my children in the past have enjoyed the 'extra' stuff i did with the minding kids (going out in order to avoid being in over holidays etc) which i would not have done so much of had it just been my two. They are now coming to an age where they are getting bored of doing the same kind of things over and again each holidays, (okay for the mindees cos they are often diff groups), and it is now costing me money some of the holidays to send them to clubs sometimes to give them a break!

I also enjoy paperwork, so the accounts stuff I quite like, I am training myself to really enjoy the learning journeys, because although i like them they take a blooming lot of unpaid time which is slightly irking of an evening after a long day!

As others have said this money seems good, take off expenses and it can still be quite good, but add in all the unpaid time for training and paperwork and it quite quickly becomes peanuts! But our time is free and valueless to most!

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.*****.com/coffeehouse/l...make-year.html

glad to see there are sensible replies and not just lots of bashing Tax and NI been brought up but not commented on as yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast