Drop off ? collection procedure.

Hybrid View

Registered Childminder since
    oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop off ? collection procedure.

How do you all conduct your drop off and collection in your home. do you take parents and mindees into your living room or kitchen to drop off and collect or do you just stand at the door to hand over kids?

At the moment i mostly have them coming into living room but for various reasons ( mainly my cream hallway carpet and people who will not take off their shoes!) i would like to hand over at the front door - will parents think this is too unfriendly or too clinical maybe.

i pride myself on offering a home from home setting but am fed up of scrubbing my carpets clean ( when i should be playing with mindes)

Apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drop off ? collection procedure.

I collect at front door in the morning and let parents come into lounge at collection time. I have a big sign just inside my front door saying "Shoes off please"

~Chelle~ Guest

Two parents always drop off at the front door, mainly because they have to rush to work or drop other kids off.

With the other lo, his dad will drop off at the door and collect from the hallway but his mum always comes into the house and has a good nose around lol.

I dont mind either way really as I have laminate so it is easy to clean

I would put up a polite notice saying " Please remove all shoes when entering my home, Thanks".

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you not just put a small rug on the floor and have the bags for the child ready so the parents don't come further than the rug.Then when all the children have gone you can roll the rug up and pop away till morning. I have an old rug so I can wheel wet buggies into the hallway.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Ignoring the carpet issue - its not just about clean carpets really - is it ok to have a policy of drop offs and collection at the door - one of my parents collects at 5.45 and can stand chatting for ages - im happy to chat for a bit about our day and what her son has been doing but it can go on for 30mins - all the while i am needing to give my kids their tea and on the day i have her son i have to be out the door at 6pm to be at cubs where i am a leader so really cant be late and i nearly always am.

does it look bad to not take them into the house - is it ok to have the kids ready, shoes on, jacket on bag ready etc all ready to just go or does this make it seem like i can't wait for the child to be away?

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by little chickee View Post
    is it ok to have the kids ready, shoes on, jacket on bag ready etc all ready to just go or does this make it seem like i can't wait for the child to be away?
    I look at it like this - they've been at work all day and probably just want to get home and put their feet up/have tea as much as you want to wave goodbye and do the same. Sometimes I've had mine ready, especially if I've seen the car pull up - other times they are not.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I do door / hall drop off and pick ups everything is in the child's daily diary, I do not have time to stand talking as I have other mindees to get ready to go home all my parents know they can phone me when ever they want to chat but I'm afraid to say I want to finish my working day so I can have quality time with my son!!!

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I never changed my policy on pick up / collection but we have progressed from letting parent's in and chatting for ages to having the children ready, coats and shoes on, bags & sheets ready and have a quick chat with parents every night. Mornings normally a quick hand over at the front door. If parents want a more in-depth talk if appropriate we will do it straight away if not I'll arrange to ring them on the night.