What multi - cultural and disability toys, books, etc do you have?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What multi - cultural and disability toys, books, etc do you have?

I was thinking last night that I really need to get some more multi-cultural and disability things.

What does everyone have?

I have books, multi-cultural duplo men and a doll.

I know I need to get quite a few more bits but dont know where to start and what to get!

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What multi - cultural and disability toys, books, etc do you have?

I have a couple of dolls and some books. Need to make a new 'we are all different' poster as the last one got a bit ruined.

Not got loads and could do with some more things

x
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Sarahnev had a list somewhere of multicultural resources but don't kknow where I've seen it so here are a few of mine

small world people - duplo, little tykes, fisher price, playmobil, happyland

home corner - different breads of the world, chinese wok and bowls and chopsticks, small balti dishes (tesco), pizza set, indian and chinese restaurant role play packs free from sparklebox

jigsaws/felt boards - various ones with multicultural figures or make your own by cutting up and laminating pictures from internet or magazines

posters - make your own I use pictures from newspapers and magazines- the ABC poster at www.childmindersresources.com is very good and the ADAE one too

puppets - use www.makingfriends.com paper dolls and outfits for many countries/cultures also have dolls in wheelchair and with glasses

dressing up clothes - charity shops are a good source for these as they can be really expensive to buy

flags of the world - children love making these - link them to a country, get some travel brochures and make a poster about that country - ofsted love things like this and you can expand it to cover lots of other things like food, homes, clothing etc

photos and books - oxfam and unicef websites have lovely photos you can print off and I've picked up lots of books from charity shops for pennies

Hope that helps
    Miffy xx

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered these last night.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BN-Multicultur...QQcmdZViewItem

it looks like she has a few to sell. No post and packing really pleased. Let you know what they are like at the end of the week

Annie x

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link and that reminded me The Works often have musical instruments from other cultures cheap

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My lists are pinned to the top of this thread... hope they help!

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...splay.php?f=33

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

i have some lovely little dolls in various different traditional costume
    they came from a shop in town but they often sell them on ebay

i keep mine in a basket with flags an atlas some postcards and some other stuff.
    i also have some multicultural beanie baby dolls
    and loads of books and posters and puzzles

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a great wheelchair from buildabear. It is suitable for the bears from there, but also dolls about the size of baby annabel. Also got a poorly pack from there which has a crutch and plaster cast for foot (all fabric)#

Jules

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    I got a great wheelchair from buildabear. It is suitable for the bears from there, but also dolls about the size of baby annabel. Also got a poorly pack from there which has a crutch and plaster cast for foot (all fabric)#

Jules
    Have you got a website for this Jules - sorry but I've never heard of buildabear

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Miffy,

Buildabear is a shop where you can stuff a bear and name it. They do all sorts of bears and other cuddly animals, and then you can buy clothes and accessories for them.

My girls have a few and my youngest had loads of clothes for hers.

When I went to Canada, I had a teddy made for childminding. It has a button to push and the voice has a canadia accent asking the children if they will be its friend etc. I bought it a Canadia Mountie uniform. Thought it would be good for Ofsted as we are going to find out about Canada and mark it on the map. He even came with his own Canadian passport!! and come with a birth certificate.

Here's the link: http://www.buildabear.co.uk/shop/sea...rds=wheelchair

Can't find the poorly pack though. They do have a medical kit, which I am tempted to get.

Jules

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jules

Your canada idea sounds lovely

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They do lots of other outfits from different countries, but can only be ordered from America, which would bump the price up, but I know the kids would love it.

Jules

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just found this website, its got some great disability bits on it. I love the seeing dog and cane.
    http://www.msma.co.uk/product_info.p...roducts_id=180
    Jules

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas, thanks.

I also have puzzles and books from Mark and Spencers.

I also want to make a multicultural laminated book for kiddies to look at.

Jana

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got some Indian shalwar kameez sets of ebay for 99p each.

Whenever anyone you know goes abroad ask them to bring you something back - I have a spanish flamenco dress, a thai outfit, a thai sarong, a french children's song tape, Australian headscarves and t-shirts (slip, slap, slop very hot on sun safety out there). I haven't used the Thai kick boxing shorts that my brother got me as I am sure that I should not be encouraging that .
    Although I suppose it is a valid Thai activity and it would promote physical activity .

Juliaxx

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    They do lots of other outfits from different countries, but can only be ordered from America, which would bump the price up, but I know the kids would love it.

Jules
    hi jules we have a build a bear shop in meadowhall sheffield so maybe they will do mail order. would certainly be cheaper then coming from the u.s

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    hi jules we have a build a bear shop in meadowhall sheffield so maybe they will do mail order. would certainly be cheaper then coming from the u.s
    We have one in Chester. It used to be the Bear Factory! I hadn't thought about looking in there.

amanda xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the international outfits are only available from the US. They only do a scottish outfit and UK guard outfit here.

Jules

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the wheelchair link x