Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation MET OFFICE HEATWAVE WARNING

The Met Office has issued its first ever heatwave warning as forecasters predict temperatures to soar into the nineties this week.

Hospitals have been put on standby to deal with sunstroke victims and the government has urged the elderly and small children stay indoors as the hot and humid conditions reach potentially dangerous levels.

The mercury could hit a high of 91F (33C) by the middle of the week - and temperatures are expected to remain a warm and sticky 64F (18C) at night.

Southern England and the Midlands are expected to be hottest areas, but all parts of the country will see high levels of sunshine until next weekend. London is likely to be especially hot, meaning scorching conditions for Wimbledon fans players as the tournament goes into its second week.

A forecaster from the Met Office said: 'It is going to be the first significant heatwave since 2006. 'Temperatures will be in the low thirty degrees Celsius in many parts and somewhere is likely to hit 33 degrees sometime during the course of the week.
    'With slack winds it's going to be very humid, although coastal areas will be a little fresher.'

The country is currently on amber level two of the Government's Heatwave Plan, but the Met Office expects it could reach level four by midweek - the highest level which denotes a state of emergency with the potential to cause water shortages or overwhelm the health service.

It is the first heat warning issued by the Met Office since the system was introduced two years ago.

A spokesman for the Department of Health said: 'The heat is especially dangerous for the very young, older people or those with serious illnesses. In particular, it can make heart and respiratory problems worse. In extreme cases, excess heat can lead to heat stroke, which can be fatal. Keeping the home as cool as possible during hot weather and remembering the needs of friends, relatives and neighbours who could be at risk is essential. Elderly people and those who are ill are particularly vulnerable during hot weather and the most oppressive conditions occur in our towns and cities. The Department of Health said children under four and elderly people were especially vulnerable, and should try to stay indoors where possible, especially during the hottest part of the day between 11am and 3pm.'

The last major heatwave to hit Britain was in 2003, when 2000 people died. A sweltering 102F (39C) was recorded in Brogdale in Kent on 10 August, a record high which still stands.

Tips of how to keep cool in the heatwave...

* People with serious health problems (for example heart conditions), should avoid going out in the heat, especially between 11am and 3pm.
    * Drink cold drinks such as water or fruit juice regularly and avoid tea, coffee and alcohol.
    * Stay tuned to the weather forecast and plan ahead with supplies - think of elderly neighbours who may need help.
    * Keep plenty of water to hand and stay in the shade where possible.
    * Identify the coolest room in the house to use as a room to cool down or sleep in.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MET OFFICE HEATWAVE WARNING

I wonder why schools never take any notice of things like that? How many children are outside at the hottest time of the day, often very little shade, no sun hats and limited access to water to drink? It'll be interesting to see if there are any changes now there's been an 'official' warning.

As a parent & childminder I follow all the advice - gazebos in the garden for shade, water bottles out at all times (and children prompted to drink from them), sun hats on, avoid the lunchtime sun if possible. Then I go to drop off at nursery at lunchtime & see the kids racing round in blazing sun

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now! Thanks for posting that George.

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks george for the info.
    It is always good to know what to do if it is hot

but to be quite honest, when I heard of a heat wave I thought it was going to be hotter than that...to me temps in the early 30Cs are just a nice warm day...(but maybe I have spent too much time in greece..)
    (a heat wave I was in while I was there reached 45C....)
    Nicole xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info George xxx

Let's see if they are right about a heat wave lol xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Pipsqueak Guest

Thanks for the info. Although i think someone has forgotten to tell Mother Nature to include the North of England in her plans lol its dull and overcast here today - its neither warm nor hot.

Sons' school insist in hats, suncream and they alter playtimes so the kids aren't out in worst of the heat.

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it's 22 here but dull and grey and really doesn't even feel that tbh.

We've been doing the parks and utside stuff first thing in the mornings in the last week and then stay in rest of the day pretty much unless we have someonthing we are going to.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My DS (12) is supposed to going on a bike ride with his friend tomorrow on the south downs. They have an inset day.

Do you think I should cancel? Not sure if I want him out all day without shade in the heat. I know he is not a little child but still ??
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that.

Think I'm going to keep my little ones in, maybe not in the mornings,but certainly in the later part of the day.

My son [11] gone on hols with the school this morning. They had bottles of Evian piled up in reception which is a good sign. Some seriously stressed parents there this morning!

TheBTeam Guest

Car here said it was 28c, but personally it feels too hot, that is all i know, going camping in 3-4 weeks, hoping it cools off a little, not quite like the torrential rain and 30mph winds like last years holiday, but a happy medium would be nice!

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

well it's warm but very cloudy here

but i bought an 8ft swimming pool for the weekend
    IS BACK

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
    well it's warm but very cloudy here

but i bought an 8ft swimming pool for the weekend
    Im hoping hubby willbe putting ours up this weekend, we have a 12ft, takes 6 hours to fill

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hot and sticky here. We have just been to the park and library and now staying in until school run time.

Our schools are quite good. they are made to wear sun hats and the children have the choice to go in and play (sometimes compulsary) at lunchtimes.

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

my kids school has sports day tomorrow How silly is that in this weather
    One life live it

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rascal View Post
    my kids school has sports day tomorrow How silly is that in this weather
    ours is on wednesday, tipped to be the hottest day
    IS BACK

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBTeam View Post
    Car here said it was 28c,
    my car said 15c

somehow i think it's wrong
    IS BACK

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our school sent a sun protection policy home and it stated that any outdoor sports would start by 9.30.....yet sports day was held last thursday at 1pm mmmm.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Sat/Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info xx

My indoor thermostat says 24.5 degrees!!

Only one good thing about the heat today, I've got three loads of washing done and dried!!

Hope everybody is coping with the heat ok

xx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thermometer outside my back door has been in the sun but been shady there for 2 hours and is reading 28.1

Way too hot for me, my poor kids have black school uniforms. Will have the ice lollies ready for when they get in today - glad they are teens and I have no school run!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from nursety run. its hot hot HOT and i have a headache. Was surprised to see the children all playing in the sun on the playground and still running round!

Sports day ALL day tomorrow.............

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we have been indoors today with all the windows and doors open.

The temp in my back garden is 35 degrees and indoors the temp is recording 27 degrees

Its alright folks you are guranteed rain from the 20th July for a fortnight I'm on holiday in Cornwall!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast