Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarahs Law

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Sarahs Law

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...305729,00.html

Does Paedophile Plan Go Far Enough?
    Updated:15:43, Sunday February 17, 2008

The mother of Sarah Payne has told Sky News she welcomes a new pilot scheme to identify sex offenders - but says more needs to be done to protect children.

Sarah PayneUnder the trial, parents will be able to check whether people who are allowed unsupervised access to their children have convictions for child sex crimes.

Sara Payne, whose daughter was murdered by a paedophile, backs the scheme but admits it doesn't "go as far as what we've called for" in her original campaign for "Sarah's law".

This would allow parents to obtain details of convicted paedophiles living in their neighbourhoods.

She said she wanted "anybody who is the carer of a child to be able to go to a police station and ask what danger there is in their area".

Advertisement

The campaigner believes "everybody has a right to know" if a paedophile is living near them.

Ms Payne also denied that such a right would lead to problems with people being wrongly targeted because of their name.

She told Sky News: "To say that the British public are a bunch of vigilantes is degrading."

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith announced the scheme in an article for the News Of The World, which has hailed it as a victory in its long-running campaign for "Sarah's law" .

The campaign was named after eight-year-old Sarah, who was murdered in 2000 by Roy Whiting.

Sara Payne on Sky NewsHe had previously spent time in prison for the indecent assault of a girl.

The scheme will initially be trialled in four police areas - Cambridgeshire, Hampshire, Cleveland and Warwickshire - and if successful could be rolled out across England and Wales.

It will allow single mothers to ask police whether potential boyfriends have child sex convictions before they start a relationship.

And family members or neighbours who regularly look after children could also be checked.

Police and probation services will have discretion on what information is revealed in each case and disclosure will be carefully controlled.

But it is understood that if children are thought to be at risk, parents and carers will be told.

So bearing this in mind - us as carers of children will we have access to information.
    Is this law going far enough? Its a start though. Do you think we should be told of potential risks and offenders in our communities?

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sarahs Law

I had a letter once, a few years ago, telling me about 2 halfway houses somewhere in Manchester that might or might not house sex offenders... since Manchester is about 25 mins drive away, I thought it was a bit of a joke tbh.

They have to supply the right information to the right people while also protecting the 'rights' of the offender, which cannot be an easy thing to do.

I don't think the changes go far enough either - but I also worry what making the information public will do... will it create a 'hangman' mentality in the neighbourhood and mean people will be afraid to live on their road?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I do think something needs to be done. and whatever is done im sure there will be some problems to start with. Sarah went missing near where i live and i remember that night as a guy i was seeing came home from clubbing and said the taxi couldnt get down his mates road due to the police.
    Sara has worked in our area for 'Saftey house' My Mum helped out on the fundrasing but it fell through after a short time. I remember questions being asked about that as it was certain houses who have been CRB checked displayed the saftey house logo any child that was lost or felt like someone was following them could ask this house for help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnev707 View Post
    I had a letter once, a few years ago, telling me about 2 halfway houses somewhere in Manchester that might or might not house sex offenders... since Manchester is about 25 mins drive away, I thought it was a bit of a joke tbh.

They have to supply the right information to the right people while also protecting the 'rights' of the offender, which cannot be an easy thing to do.

I don't think the changes go far enough either - but I also worry what making the information public will do... will it create a 'hangman' mentality in the neighbourhood and mean people will be afraid to live on their road?
    Sorry but the "rights" of the offender??????

The offender should not have any rights at all in my hunble opinion. I watched a very disturbing documentry years ago, and it is imortant to understand that these people do not believe they have done anything wrong, they see it as a sexual preference like being gay.
    They need to be in an institution indefinatly.
    Lou xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Sorry but the "rights" of the offender??????

The offender should not have any rights at all in my hunble opinion. I watched a very disturbing documentry years ago, and it is imortant to understand that these people do not believe they have done anything wrong, they see it as a sexual preference like being gay.
    They need to be in an institution indefinatly.
    I put the word in quotation marks for a reason...

Pipsqueak Guest

I like the idea of "safe house" for lost children. I should imagine though that a scheme like that is very hard to get of the ground.

I am in full support of Sarahs Law - the full whack as in Megans Law. It works well enough in America and whilst I don't believe in vigilantism and would never advocate or condone it I believe that the safety and welfare of children should be put above these offenders.

Sexual predators will never be rehabiliated and therefore in my opinion cannot live in society without being a constant threat or danger to their (potential) victims.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vik3000 View Post
    I like the idea of "safe house" for lost children. I should imagine though that a scheme like that is very hard to get of the ground.

I am in full support of Sarahs Law - the full whack as in Megans Law. It works well enough in America and whilst I don't believe in vigilantism and would never advocate or condone it I believe that the safety and welfare of children should be put above these offenders.

Sexual predators will never be rehabiliated and therefore in my opinion cannot live in society without being a constant threat or danger to their (potential) victims.
    Totaly agree and you say it so much better than me lol
    Lou xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I fully support Sarah's Law xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Post Thanks / Like

Im not entirely sure what Sarahs Law would acheive though - we know that these people exist...arent we being careful enough already?? Kids are tied to mothers apron at the moment, through this mass hysteria the Sun and so on have whipped up. Do we really need more paranoia?

I think that there are some really sick people out there, but I think this national obsession with them is pretty sick too.

A bloke who used to work in my old office was banged up a while ago for this sort of thing (wont go into the details). I have seen that hes out now..I see him in the street, but while the sight of him makes my skin crawl I dont want to start shouting and waving my hands in the air and starting chasing him with pitchforks.

Lastly - I dont think "Safe houses" are a good idea AT ALL. How easy would it be to fake it and lure some kiddie into god knows what. Or even have someone who worked there who hasnt been arrested (so CRB check is clean)?? No way, not in a million years would I want to see something like that. Its too easy.

Sx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

You can leave the pitchforks to me!

amanda xx

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Manjay!!!
    Sx

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sex offenders should have their bits cut off and then they should be locked up with the key thrown away!

Sorry but they do not have any 'rights' to anything after commiting a crime like that.

I think we need capital punishment in this country!
    x
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx

Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree with you Lana

Angel xx

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    Sex offenders should have their bits cut off and then they should be locked up with the key thrown away!

Sorry but they do not have any 'rights' to anything after commiting a crime like that.

I think we need capital punishment in this country!
    x
    I'm with you Lana, you hold them and I'll chop them off!!!!!!!!

People like these have no rights!!!!!

Just my opinion

Carol xx

Post Thanks / Like

You are so right!!!!

I am in full support of Sarahs Law,
    Lou xx

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Schnakes View Post
    Im not entirely sure what Sarahs Law would acheive though - we know that these people exist...arent we being careful enough already?? Kids are tied to mothers apron at the moment, through this mass hysteria the Sun and so on have whipped up. Do we really need more paranoia?

I think that there are some really sick people out there, but I think this national obsession with them is pretty sick too.

A bloke who used to work in my old office was banged up a while ago for this sort of thing (wont go into the details). I have seen that hes out now..I see him in the street, but while the sight of him makes my skin crawl I dont want to start shouting and waving my hands in the air and starting chasing him with pitchforks.

Lastly - I dont think "Safe houses" are a good idea AT ALL. How easy would it be to fake it and lure some kiddie into god knows what. Or even have someone who worked there who hasnt been arrested (so CRB check is clean)?? No way, not in a million years would I want to see something like that. Its too easy.

Sx

I think Sarahs Law would acheive a lot Schnakes - it would give children the rights that they deserve and give a clear resounding message to offenders.

Consider why children are so tied to mothers apron strings nowadays - it is because of what you consider a "national obsession" (with these offenders). We as a society have realised and accepted that the abuse of children DOES happen - it is more widely acknowledged and the shame and stigma have been taken away from the victim. In years gone by, that was the "childs/victims lot" , thats how the cookie crumbled, it was hushed up and refused to be acknowledged that this happened. The "grapevine" then was mothers telling their children to keep away from that house over there, that man who lives at xxx. And perhaps these mothers telling their children to stay away where more paranoid (and unfounded) that what we have today.

I think that for the "national obsession" to dissapate then the law and rights needs to start coming down more heavily in favour of the vulnerable, abused, law abiding etc, instead of protecting the rights of the abusers and perpetrators.

In regard to the Safe Houses, perhaps this is why the pilot scheme failed - I still think its a good idea though!

july 2006
    Post Thanks / Like

Lou, I am totally with you there!

They lost their "rights" as soon as they touched the child! They get protected and the child is scarred for life! Where is the justice in that?!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know all that stuff Vik...I just think...you know - most sexual abuse (as in fact most violent crime - murder and so on) is commited by the people we know. I just think that this tabloid hysteria about men in dirty overcoats etc is actually doing more damage than anything..by that I mean - stop looking for the odd bloke round the corner, with his squinty eyes and slobbery lips....the real predators lurk under a cloak of normaility.

It infuriates me that the press like to whip up this fear,then shows pictures of young girls with their breasts out on the very next page, for their readers titilation.

Okay, enough waffling. Actually I think that what this boils down to is that knowing that Mr or Mrs X lives on your street gives you a false sense of security. You wouldnt let your child play at their house right? But Mr Z is fine!! Cos the database tells you!!! But what about all these people who go undetected? One of my friends was sexually abused by his father for many many years. And his dad is still out there today, playing happy families, very much the respected business man. If I didnt know any better - hell, I'd let him babysit the kids! In fact, Im sure that my friends sister would happily let him babysit hers, because SHE doesnt know.

Vik - Im not about protecting these vile basterds, Im really not. I just honestly dont see what GOOD would come from it. Apart from vigilantes roaming the streets. And then when does it end? We dont like murderers? Lets get 'em. We dont like gays? Hell, lets see them on the list too. And all of a sudden we're living in Nazi Germany??? Maybe a little dramatic but still!

Okay. Let me ask everyone on here who agrees with Sarahs Law (that is - everyone but me!!! ) - should you get this list - what would you do with it?

Sx

july 2006
    Post Thanks / Like

[

Okay. Let me ask everyone on here who agrees with Sarahs Law (that is - everyone but me!!! ) - should you get this list - what would you do with it?

Sx[/QUOTE]

Panic probably in all honesty! ....and if I caught any of them on the list so much as glancing in the direction of one of mine I would find it very diff to control myself!!!

Angela xx

Post Thanks / Like

Caseys mum - the thing is (with what you've just said) is that you know what? We should be campaigning against the courts then, to impose harsher sentences, harsher restrictions. Not having to go out there and do this stuff for ourselves.

I think that if someone ever hurt one of my babies, I wouldnt bother with the law...I WOULD take it into my own hands. And that is because I dont even trust the law to deal with it appropriately. Thats where the problem lies, I think.

Sx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast