Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WWYD? Mindee refuses sun hat

It is very hot and sunny here, am picking up 2yo mindee soon and it would be nice to go out for a picnic and a play. However last time he absolutely refused to have a sun hat on. He is very fair and will definately burn today so what do I do? Can I just say I wont allow him out if its sunny? Mum said put some cream on but he hasnt got enough hair to keep his scalp safeand I cant rub cream into his head!

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WWYD? Mindee refuses sun hat

my son refuses to wear hats too even as a toddler

just cover his ears neack etc nothing much more you can do

remember to log the response from mum
    IS BACK

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say put sun cream on his head, my dad has to when playing golf as he has very short hair and I also put it on the dog on her bald bit.

june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

rub the cream all onto his head

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Screech wont keep a hat on, I just smother her head in cream and make sure shes in shade where possible
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Super glue

Post Thanks / Like

ds won't keep a hat on either. I just rub suncream in his hair & re-apply it often.
    I find the clear spray works best rubbed into hair, makes it look greasy but gets right onto the scalp.

may 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Super glue
    I find velcro better..............

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Reward stickers for wearing even for a few minutes and make a real fuss of the others telling them all how good they are for keeping hats on,or i've a huge selection of hats and let them choose which one to wear and put the stickers on them.Failing that they stay in the pushchair under the sun canopy until they put it on!!!! I've one little boy who loved dressing up and he used to choose the old school wicker hats and bob the builder plastic hats but at least he wore one.

TheBTeam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by caroline L View Post
    Reward stickers for wearing even for a few minutes and make a real fuss of the others telling them all how good they are for keeping hats on,or i've a huge selection of hats and let them choose which one to wear and put the stickers on them.Failing that they stay in the pushchair under the sun canopy until they put it on!!!! I've one little boy who loved dressing up and he used to choose the old school wicker hats and bob the builder plastic hats but at least he wore one.
    All of the above and suncream on his head! That usually annoys them enough to learn about a hat!

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

At least your children come with hats! i have told their parents to send them but they keep forgetting! all 3 turned up this morn without one. weve had an hour in the garden but came in when it got hot. I will have to get a supply to keep at my house i think, anyone know where you can get cheapies?

04 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 'No Hat = No Play' rule when its sunny. With a new mindee and also my own when they were little I put hats on to go out - if they take them off I take them straight indoors saying 'No hat No play!' They then usually make a bit of fuss & I tell them they have to have hat on to go out - they usually agree and then quite often take it off again as soon as back out - so we do the same over and over until they give up. I usually find it's constant on the 1st day but there after only have to say 'No hat no play' and they put them back on!
    [I]Sharon
    *****proofed the house but they're still getting in!!

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    At least your children come with hats! i have told their parents to send them but they keep forgetting! all 3 turned up this morn without one. weve had an hour in the garden but came in when it got hot. I will have to get a supply to keep at my house i think, anyone know where you can get cheapies?
    end of season at gap usually £1 or 50p at charity shops

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I have one mindee full time. I have given up asking Mum for stuff so now he has a hat, trunks, sun cream, slipper socks, pants etc all at mine that I have bought and keep here. Its just easier as I know then he can join in everything cos he has the right stuff.

Mine are also not allowed outside unless wearing a hat - we do the in and out the house thing until they emerge with hat firmly in place!!!
    Helen

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get something called 'dry oil' and its used my men of a certain age to stop their scalps burning in the sun! I think Tropicana make it.
    At least the mindee's head won't go greasy!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowMum View Post
    I have a 'No Hat = No Play' rule when its sunny. With a new mindee and also my own when they were little I put hats on to go out - if they take them off I take them straight indoors saying 'No hat No play!' They then usually make a bit of fuss & I tell them they have to have hat on to go out - they usually agree and then quite often take it off again as soon as back out - so we do the same over and over until they give up. I usually find it's constant on the 1st day but there after only have to say 'No hat no play' and they put them back on!

Hear, hear me too! They go back indoors or sit at the table in the shade until hat is firmly on. Or if there is shady bit of the garden I will allow them to play there. I had to do this with ds on holiday when under 2. I walked him back to the apartment every time he took off his hat. Suncream stops the burning but not the headaches.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowMum View Post
    Exactly the same in this house.

Just patiently saying the same thing over and over until they wear them!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a dress-up hat he would wear?

I won't let my son out if he doesn't wear his hat.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

no hat no play here too, also no cream no play and if we are out and they havent applied cream or refuse hat then they have to stay with me in the shade untill they comply. I have a 6yrold girl that refues cream so i wont allow her outside which gives her the right hump but it works in the end.

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, mine all have to wear hats, it's not optional. They soon learn. That said, as soon as Mums arrive they refuse hats again!!
    Ali xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast