What does adhoc mean?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    amirose Guest

Default What does adhoc mean?

Ok I know I might be making myself sound self thick here but I really don't know what it means.

Mum has emailed saying she wants to check I am willing to work on an adhoc basis before she calls me but I don't know what it means (and wikipedia confused me more it says its a Latin phrase for "for this purpose" ???)

She says it would vary from 1 - 5 days a week so I am guessing shes saying is it OK if I just pay for the days I use ...

If that's the case what do I do?? I currently have 0 mindees during the day - the little boys 2.

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does adhoc mean?

adhoc means as and when...
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Adhoc means working as and when required - not to a regular contract. I do it with a couple of older school kids who are over eight, or have done with some youngre kids when i knew i wouldn't be needed much. The parent needs to know though that you would ony be able to do it if your numbers allowed on particular days and you will need all the other info for the child even if no formal contract is in place. It a "helping out" strategy really.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding*
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of that phrase either !!
    Wendy xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amirose View Post

She says it would vary from 1 - 5 days a week so I am guessing shes saying is it OK if I just pay for the days I use ...
    I think that's exactly what she's saying. It's entirely up to you whether you decide to do that or not - it could work well for you if you have no other work but you would be keeping one of your under 5's spaces available for this child every day of the week yet you might only be paid for a few hours. Think about it carefully before you agree

Miffy xx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have 3 under 8s on ad-hoc contracts. I have got their parent's to sign to say that they understand that I can only offer their child a space if there is one available on the day they want, that I cannot guarantee their children a space and that I cannot offer care if my spaces are full. Both parents were willing to sign this as they only want very occasional minding.

As you have no other children at the minute it could bring in some money for you until you get some permanant contracts. If she wants to guarantee a space then she could pay a retainer for the days she doesn't use or you could agree a minimum each week and then charge extra if the minding hours go over. If you do go down the ad-hoc route make sure that the parent is aware that you have limited space and you cannot guarantee a space for the child if you have contracted children.

Good luck

amirose Guest

Wow thank you for the replies everyone, that's genuinely been very helpful. I have emailed the mum saying I would consider it and could she give me a call to discuss further I'm glad I posted because the advice you have given me about the contract is invaluable (I doubt I would have come up with it on my own).
    Hopefully she does call, I will let you know

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an ad hoc, on the understanding I wont hold a space but they only pay when they use me, works well for both parties.