Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help please! How is it best to charge?

I'm trying to decide on the following and would really appreciate your experience and opinions:

NORMAL MINDING HOURS - I'm thinking of setting my normal hours (probably 8.00am - 5.30pm) at a rate of £3.20 per hour and any minding required outside of these hours at a higher charge - possibly time and a half or round off to £5.00 per hour? Does this sound reasonable?

HOLIDAYS - I'm thinking either 1) no charge for my holidays and full charge for mindees holidays -or- 2) half charge for both mine and mindees holidays. Hubby suggested I put both on the contract and let parents choose which they prefer but I'm not sure if this would make things too complicated?

BANK HOLIDAYS - As hubby always works I'm prepared to mind on bank holidays if required. Should I charge a higher rate (if so how much - is double time too much?) If space is not required I know I can still charge but should that be at their normal rate or whatever they would have paid if I had been minding them on the bank holiday?

WEEKENDS - I'm prepared to offer occasional weekend minding - again, do you think double time would be too much to charge?

FINALLY, EVENING BABYSITTING! - Until my business really gets off the ground I plan to advertise a babysitting service in people's own home. What is the hourly rate for babysitters these days (I haven't been paid for it for years!). Also would I have to include any earnings from this in my childminding accounts or would that be a completely seperate thing that would be nothing to do with childminding (as it wouldn't be in my own home)?

Sorry this is so long but I really am grateful for any help I get.

Carole x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help please! How is it best to charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
    I'm trying to decide on the following and would really appreciate your experience and opinions:

NORMAL MINDING HOURS - I'm thinking of setting my normal hours (probably 8.00am - 5.30pm) at a rate of £3.20 per hour and any minding required outside of these hours at a higher charge - possibly time and a half or round off to £5.00 per hour? Does this sound reasonable?

my normal hours are 8 till 6 and I charge 3.75 an hour, before and after these hours i charge double time also for outside contracted hours

HOLIDAYS - I'm thinking either 1) no charge for my holidays and full charge for mindees holidays -or- 2) half charge for both mine and mindees holidays. Hubby suggested I put both on the contract and let parents choose which they prefer but I'm not sure if this would make things too complicated?

I charge full fees for mindees hols and no fee when i have time off

BANK HOLIDAYS - As hubby always works I'm prepared to mind on bank holidays if required. Should I charge a higher rate (if so how much - is double time too much?) If space is not required I know I can still charge but should that be at their normal rate or whatever they would have paid if I had been minding them on the bank holiday?

i dont work b/holidays but charge for them if a child usually comes on the day it falls on i will work it with prior arrangement at overtime rates

WEEKENDS - I'm prepared to offer occasional weekend minding - again, do you think double time would be too much to charge?

I offer weekend care at double time also

FINALLY, EVENING BABYSITTING! - Until my business really gets off the ground I plan to advertise a babysitting service in people's own home. What is the hourly rate for babysitters these days (I haven't been paid for it for years!). Also would I have to include any earnings from this in my childminding accounts or would that be a completely seperate thing that would be nothing to do with childminding (as it wouldn't be in my own home)?

i dont have time for this lol but think that £6 an hour is reasonable depending where you live and what everyone else charges, I dont knowabout contarcts for it though and declaring it someone else willhelp with that no doubt

Sorry this is so long but I really am grateful for any help I get.

Carole x

HTH Carole this is just how I do things everyone will give different answers Im sure at the endof the day its your business hunnie charge what you think is right xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

June 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My contract says from 8.00 till 5.00 is £30.00 per day.

If they leave after 5.00 its £35.00 and an extra £5.00 if they arrive before 8.00. The majority of mine either arrive after 8.00or go before 5.00.

I have twins that are here at 7.30 and go at 6.00. I have reduced rate to £70 per day for both i.e. £35.00 each child only because £80.00 per days seemed a bit extortionate.

After schoolers are £5.00 per hour i.e. one I have till 6.00 so its £15.00 per night regardless of when she collects him or if I have him.
    Jules

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am the same as Little Miss Sparkles but pay my own babysitter £5 per hour but then again she is a 14/15 year old girl and not a childminder
    Annie x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies

I said double time outside of my normal hours but hubby thought that would be too expensive! I see his point about not pricing myself out, especially with the credit crunch affecting everybody at the moment. I think I'll have to try and find out what other minders are charging "out of hours" and make my decision based on that.

One other question I've thought of - is it advisable to have a minimum daily charge? I'm thinking for example if a child is only with you for a short time before or after school - do you just charge for that half an hour or so or a minimum amount? Again, I don't want to put people off!

Carole x

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge by session but your hourly rate seems reasonable and extra for outside hours. I just charge a late fee as i charge by session.
    I charge full for my holidays (up to 4 weeks) as your entitled to paid holidays just like a regular job and my parents are fine with this.
    They pay full for their holidays as im still working and they still get tax credits lol.
    Bank hols i dont work but if they need me to its time and half.

Hope this helps
    Ready, set, GROW!!