Do you use cream for babies bum?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you use cream for babies bum?

It works the other way too...Ofsted can also work differently! When I had my 1st inspection it was noted that I dont keep a record of worm/flea treatments for my cats, so apparently that meant that I wasnt protecting the children from parasites etc - despite the fact that the cats are treateed and didnt have worms or fleas....another childminder I know of recently got a "outstanding" marking even though she keeps her cat litter tray in the front room where she has the children play,and the walls around the tray have cat feaces (is that how you spell it?!) all over them. How is that protecting children from infection or whatever?? Makes me mad, I tell you! If they expect all of us to be the same they should also work to the same standards as each other!

Okay...Im getting off my soapbox now!!

Sx

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

I am with you on that one Schnakes!

I don't use gloves, mainly because when I started minding I had my own ds in nappies too and I was not going to change him then put gloves on to change mindee, it seemed wrong.

Out of interest, those of you who wear gloves, do you put them on to wipe bottoms when children have used toilet??

Sarah

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsar3NCH View Post
    I am with you on that one Schnakes!

I don't use gloves, mainly because when I started minding I had my own ds in nappies too and I was not going to change him then put gloves on to change mindee, it seemed wrong.

Out of interest, those of you who wear gloves, do you put them on to wipe bottoms when children have used toilet??

Sarah

Yep!
    Tasha

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Lou you know what I agree with you

That is why I was wondering what every one did in these sort of situations

I have never had to put cream on a baby but I am sure if one was crying and he had got hours before being collected then I would put some cream on him
    You cannot leave a baby in pain just because of some poxy rules and regulations

I know there are germs flying around - I heard this conversation with someone the other day hence me bringing it up

There are germs in everything we do though - wonder where we draw the line sometimes

Angel xx

i suppose if you wiped your hands on the babywipe before putting it in the pot it would be a little cleaner

i have some cream in the nappy bag but don't use it i think a mum brought it one day (i suppose i should check the use by date)
    one of my little ones had a really sore bottom and i put some on but she screamed even more so i washed it off immediately and told mum that i think she may be allergic to that not that her bottom was sore from being wet she's been fine since then

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have any little ones in nappies anymore but ive never used gloves although i have them . I just wash my hands with anti bac soap - sorry but gloves are too clinical for me

As for cream ive used my own and what parents have supplied but saying that i do think things are getting stricter by the day so if i had any babies in future i would want the parent to supply the cream in a sealed tube and sign my non-prescribed medicines form .

Cheryl x

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

no i don't use gloves but have anti bac souap by every sink also wash my towels every evening so cross contamination is minimzed and it's highlighted on my report that i have a good awareness of standard hygeine practices.

i do use anti bac wipes on the mat after each child has used it too

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought I should add that I personally think gloves are clinical & should be used at our discretion ie not be marked down for not using them...as long as we are hygienic of course! I use them for reasons that Susan stated in another yucky thread...& it's just become a habit now.
    Tasha

Post Thanks / Like

I dont use gloves for the reason someone has already said, when i started minding, my dd was in nappies and it would be wrong to change her and then put gloves on to change others, she would have asked why and so would they.

I also find it very clinical, i do have anti bac soap at every sink also, and wipe the mat before and after use with anti bac wipes.

At my inspection, the day she came i didnt have any in nappies so it wasnt a prob, but if i had i would probably have put gloves on then just to get a better grade!!
    Lou xx

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunalty in Scotland we have to wear disposable aprons and gloves when either toilet training or changing nappies.

I dont really agree with it especially with toilet training. By the time you get all kitted up the little one has had an accident . I keep them on display in the bathroom and have some under the sink incase I get asked for them on any spot visits but only use the gloves for messy nappy changes.

April06
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont use gloves or aprons, mainly because I'm allergic to them, also the baby I'm looking after could be allergic to them and I dont fancy the risk of finding out that she is allergic to latex. I buy my own sudacrem and have the parents sign a form saying it is ok for me to use it, as like has been mentioned I dont fancy using anything on the babies that all and sunday have also been using, if the baby needed prescription cream I would get the parents to ask for two tubes so that I always had a spare one at my house incase the parent forgot one day, I have a policy in place stating that this is what I do and the parent is happy with that, I havent had to put cream on the baby yet as she is a newborn and her bottom isnt sore, mind if I had to use it I would document it and get the parent to sign in the evening as I wouldnt want to have a baby in pain over a tub of cream.
    Mandy

Post Thanks / Like

have not seen you here for a while mandy hope you are ok - how are the baby twins ?

angel xx

Aug2005
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

All my minded babies had there own pots of cream. One of them had it on at every bum change(at mum's request).
    I don't use gloves, just wash well after.
    I wouldn't get them to sign unless it was a 'special' one prescribed by dr.
    Lisa x
    btw-metanium is fantastic for a nasty, sore bum

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents provide cream for me to use but I get them to leave a tube here so that it doesn't get left. But I make them aware that I only use cream if needed. A lot of parents seem to think that you need to apply cream to stop them getting nappy rash.

When I was at college we were taught that actually applying a barrier cream these days is not needed and in actual fact stops whatever it is inb the nappies that does the wicking awayaction (does that make sense) and stops it working properly.

In the case of really bad nappy rash I recommend to parents a revolting yellow cream called metanium as it is fantastic stuff.
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Does the cream have to be prescribed thats what I really want to know Does everyone wear gloves - I know heaps of people that do not Angel xx

Cream like sudocrem are not prescribed creams and I don't think that even metanium is. I wear gloves at all times to change nappies but don't wear an apron which I know some people do.
    love Kate

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a permission form when they start with me that states that i can use cream on the babies if it is supplied by the parents in case of allergies.
    I always wear gloves my assistant wont wear them despite my nagging i buy them in bulk normally about 15 boxes at a time as it is a lot cheaper that way.
    If a parent does not send cream and the baby appears to be sore i have in the past rang parents and got permission to use sudacrem .#
    Lindax

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    i have some cream in the nappy bag but don't use it i think a mum brought it one day (i suppose i should check the use by date)

I check all medications/creams on a monthly basis (I keep one bottle of calpol for one family, along with a variety of lotions and potions - as they are here at odd hours and dad has a tendency to forget to bring them if needed). If they are out of date mum replaces them even if they have never been used - I know she uses them then herself at home but not my problem
    love Kate

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to use my own cream but then worried about Ofsted and 'cross contamination' so now I ask parents to put cream in bags which I used when the child has a sore bottom/bits.

i do have gloves but if I am honest I do not wear them as they are a pian....I know I should and I keep putting it on my list to make sure i do but it never seems to happen!!!

Ofsted are getting pretty hot about us wearing gloves at the moment and will not accept the excuse of allergies......you can now buy Nitrile gloves which do not have latex in them and are kind to sensitive skins. you can also buy them with or without powder if that is what causes you a problem.
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12