Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Child with sensitive fingertips

Can anybody suggest activities to help with situation. I have a 18 month who finds a tiniest bit of fluff or something on the floor, table toys etc. I hoover, clean and he still finds bits that are so small! I have now noticed that he finds the edges of stickers on various toys and picks them too as well as creases and lines on leather sofas. Not sure what to offer to keeps his little fingertips occupied in a better way.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooo goodness, that's a tricky one.

Could he have his own book/sheet of paper with stickers on/in to pick off? Maybe some fidget/popit toys? A tray with tiny little bits for him to pick bits up from and put in a dish? Introduce them to threading?

Good luck. X

3. Likes Pixie dust, SYLVIA liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Ooo goodness, that's a tricky one.

Could he have his own book/sheet of paper with stickers on/in to pick off? Maybe some fidget/popit toys? A tray with tiny little bits for him to pick bits up from and put in a dish? Introduce them to threading?

Good luck. X
    Great ideas. Thank you. I remembered after posting that I had a girl here who picked all the fluff of her teddies until they were bald!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    Great ideas. Thank you. I remembered after posting that I had a girl here who picked all the fluff of her teddies until they were bald!
    I had one that used to pick at the doll's woollen blankets, I would find fluff everywhere. I ended up putting the wool ones out of the way
    Pixie Dust

6. Likes SYLVIA liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got one like that too. Her older brother was the same.

It got to the point where he would point out bits of crumb or mud off someone's wellie boots in my hallway as soon as I opened the door in the morning and his mum was still there. It was starting to get embarrassing, like he was pointing out all my housekeeping flaws, lol. I did tell him that this was a bit rude once he was old enough to understand.

He would (and now his sister will) pick at my carpet and rugs and pull up bits of grass from the garden. The baby sister is still at the mouthing stage and so I have to swoop in and pick up any little crumb/fluff before she does. Their dad is a surgeon, so I think they get their excellent fine motor skills and eye for detail from him!

Sorry, no strategies to offer other than all the usual fine motor activities.

8. Likes SYLVIA liked this post