Costs of childminding
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Costs of childminding

Does anyone else try and rein in what they spend on resources and activities? Especially at the moment with the cost of everything. I had loads of stuff in my cupboards but have been working hard to use it all up before buying new. I used to always be putting in big orders for crafts and things but now with enough toys I try to not buy much at all and where possible all our activities are free.

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm ALWAYS trying to use up the craft resources in my boxes!!! however, being a bear of little brain i frequently forget what i have! ..for example ... I was out at the weekend, and came across a big pack of decent A4 sugar paper for a good price, so i bought one, because i knew i was running out ... got home and put it away. a bit later i was looking for something in a cupboard and found 2 packs of A4 sugar paper !!!!

Toys I find I don't really need to buy because having been doing this for over 20 yrs, I have LOTS! that said, I do sometimes buy something new, often from a charity shop if i think we will enjoy it.

Outings ... sometimes free, sometimes a small charge for parking etc and sometimes they do cost. I have a few annual passes which cost at the time, but generally I feel I get my moneys worth. I pay for toddler groups, but I don't go to weekly groups/activities where you pay per child for them to do a particular activity.

BUT, sometimes it is worth it to pay for something different, or that a child may not have the opportunity to experience with family.

4. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I went through a phase years ago where I hardly spent a thing. Now, I can't help myself and seem to be always buying books or something. I do need to rein it in. I'm reasonably good at not buying craft stuff, as like you, I have a build up of stuff from over the years.

Outings - all my outings used to be free. We had amazing groups near us which didn't cost anything, and lots of free museums etc. That's definitely not the case anymore and so we rarely go to be honest. If I do go, it is because I am curious (nosey) about a particular group. I try to do it so that it's not the same children that I took last time, so that everyone benefits somewhere down the line.

One thing I am conscious of now though, is the cost of baking. My little lot do love baking, but the ingredients and the cost of having the oven on plays on my mind. We stick to very basic baking, with no fancy ingredients or decorations, make smaller quantities than we used to do and only do it on a day when I would have my oven on anyway.

I've got a baby coming for a stay and play session with mum tomorrow (before her settling in sessions start next week). It suddenly made me paranoid that I don't have enough resources for that age range and I found myself looking online at toys. I didn't end up buying anything though, thank goodness.

6. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

I've got a baby coming for a stay and play session with mum tomorrow (before her settling in sessions start next week). It suddenly made me paranoid that I don't have enough resources for that age range and I found myself looking online at toys. I didn't end up buying anything though, thank goodness.
    i'm sure you have a treasure basket ... but if not ... find a basket/box and put in it random bits from the kitchen, junk boxes/jars, baby toy, everything and anything. mine currently love some measuring spoons and a couple of glass spice jars ( one has lid glued on with a pom pom in it ) ... keeps them entertained for hours! ... everything in it came from around the house/charity shops/jumble sales etc, plus a huge pine cone we found in the woods.

have a fun time. xxx

8. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I set myself a monthly budget to spend on toys and resources and I'm pretty good at sticking to it.

I still have way too many resources though - crafts and toys. I'm challenging myself to get rid of a lot of it, but I'm still buying more than I sell or give away. My aim is to get rid of 3 things for every one I buy...but it's not going very well

10. Likes Pixie dust, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do think very carefully about what I do buy.
    I am trying to not buy many resources but I am slowly replacing things with more open ended resources and I love books. I do have to do a craft order soon as our paint supplies are running low.

We don't go out to groups and places like we used to simply because some have closed plus I have downsized the car.
    Pixie Dust

12. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post