Thread: Changing Hours

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing Hours

I knew this would happen...

Three of mine are moving on to school/nursery come September. They are being replaced with younger siblings, which is lovely, but...now the parents are reflecting on the logistics of dropping off/collecting the older child from school and trying to co-ordinate it with collecting younger ones from me and are requesting slight changes to their hours with me - just half an hour later in the morning, or half an hour earlier in the evening, but it is all adding up and will take a sizable chunk out of my income.

It's not enough of a change for me to give them notice and get someone new in. Equally, it doesn't mean I can start later or finish earlier as they don't all want changes on the same days, so I will be opening earlier and staying open later for fewer children, if you see what I mean. So annoying.

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so frustrating, isn't it?

I've recently had one of mine start coming an hour early, then I have another one leave half an hour after everyone else. It means I only have one here for that first hour and one here for the last half hour. That's an extra hour and a half a day I'm doing for very little money.

The difference is mine have extended their hours so I'm not missing out financially. I'm just working an hour and a half longer for less than £10.

4. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I get you. So annoying.

A friend of mine changed her fee structure to a set fee per day for a minimum of 8 hours, and any extra are charged at whatever she charges, and if they want less than 8 hours that's up to them, but they pay for the 8 hours.

I thought about it, but i haven't done anything about it. I might bring in something similar for new starters at some point!

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is frustrating isn't it? I feel your pain Maza as I have Friday's off during the term time but thought I would offer Fridays to the older ones during the holidays as my numbers drop a bit, I thought it would top up my money but I only have one older one booked in on a Friday over the holidays so it's not worth my while.

A friend of mine also has a day rate and all her parents are happy to pay that but I do think if they are paying for the day they would leave them here even longer where currently a few of mine leave at 4pm, I often see one of the mum's driving home when we are walking back from school but never comes early to collect it's always 4pm. I am sure they pop home for a cuppa and to get some things sorted before collecting the little one.
    Pixie Dust

8. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have often thought about an eight hour minimum day rate too, but when it comes to funding, it would be tricky, as I often say something along the lines of 'the first six hours in a day are funded and the rest must be paid for - and then I charge a higher than usual hourly rate for the remaining hours.

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I have often thought about an eight hour minimum day rate too, but when it comes to funding, it would be tricky, as I often say something along the lines of 'the first six hours in a day are funded and the rest must be paid for - and then I charge a higher than usual hourly rate for the remaining hours.
    Could you not still do that? Especially when the children will be able to access the funding younger and younger? We're allowed to charge for resources and outings. I generally only offer funding for 6/6.5 hrs, (sometimes more), but i charge a 'session fee' for the whole time the child is with me which is generally their funded hours 'voluntary charge' and any extra hours on top.