Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer holidays!

Happy summer holidays ! I think the majority of schools have now finished for the summer....have fun whatever you are doing. I am working throughout apart from 1 week when we are on holiday.

As far as the children go I have either really busy days or really quiet with only 2 children in. I haven't planned anything but over the weekend I am going to plan out a few activities to keep everyone busy. I have a supply of crafts ready which the 6 year olds love as they are happiest when crafting

I have seen a few childminders on instagram that are term time only and wonder how the parents all manage over the holidays, maybe they have a lot of teacher families. I have a couple of families who's parents work in school but they still come over the holidays (reduced hours) so the parents can have a break.

Have a good weekend, I am off out with my 2 best friends this afternoon who are celebrating the end of term as they work in a term time nursery ......not jealous at all
    Pixie Dust

2. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy holidays!

Our school breaks up on tuesday, but I'm off next week, working 4 weeks, then off the last week! I've also got some busy days and some very quiet days with just one little one in.

I've made some vague plans but mainly aim to just chill and potter! I've got lots of craft activities in a box, along with a box of random half finished bits and bobs. Although my big boys just like to be grubbing around outside!

I wondered about doing term time only, as a fair few of mine are termtime only as they either have teacher parents, or older siblings but for those that i do have, they do need me, and would be stuck if i took all the holidays off! I'm actually wondering about possibly taking a week in the term time next summer ... or maybe summer 2024 ... better give everyone lots of notice
    Last edited by loocyloo; 22-07-2023 at 12:27 PM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Loocyloo if your own children are now 'grown up' then you should definitely take a week off during term time. How lovely would that be! Everywhere would be lovely and quiet.

Most of our local schools also break up on Tuesday. Two of mine will be moving on in September and I'll miss them, so I'm soaking up all the time with them. I'm currently arranging parent visits to replace them.

When you both say you have craft bits lined up - don't you find craft bits are expensive? I used to have tons of stuff, mostly because I was buying it for DD, but we have been gradually using it all up, which is great, but I don't want to be shelling out to replace it all. I don't mind paint, as that's very reasonable, but collage bits and pieces - you just use it once and it's gone! I'd rather be buying a resource that will last. As for glue sticks, I seem to spend a small fortune on those!

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Loocyloo if your own children are now 'grown up' then you should definitely take a week off during term time. How lovely would that be! Everywhere would be lovely and quiet.

Most of our local schools also break up on Tuesday. Two of mine will be moving on in September and I'll miss them, so I'm soaking up all the time with them. I'm currently arranging parent visits to replace them.

When you both say you have craft bits lined up - don't you find craft bits are expensive? I used to have tons of stuff, mostly because I was buying it for DD, but we have been gradually using it all up, which is great, but I don't want to be shelling out to replace it all. I don't mind paint, as that's very reasonable, but collage bits and pieces - you just use it once and it's gone! I'd rather be buying a resource that will last. As for glue sticks, I seem to spend a small fortune on those!
    Scary that my children are grown up, but i think DD will still want to come away with us Bank of mum and dad and all that!

My craft bits are either remains of kits bought when they weren't exorbitant! Sometimes a friend and I buy kits on the sales and share them. (But haven't seen anything worth buying lately!) Otherwise, it's bits from the works or poundland/ other 'pound/cheap' shops and sometimes hobbycraft. Or Amazon/ebay ... sometimes if there is something i like the look of, that costs a fortune. I look to see if i can print something off and make it myself. I used to use crafty crocodiles, but haven't looked at them for ages. I get my glue sticks from the works. They do a purple one that seems pretty good. I use PVA glue alot.
    Otherwise; I collect junk/ sweet wrappers/ sequins and plastic gems from a wedding party/ old bits of toys etc plus odds and ends from charity shops for my craft box. I have a tub that has all scraps of paper/ etc in for collages. My family laugh at me, but, they all pick up 'useful' things when they see them going begging

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip about glue from the works. I'll definitely look out for that.

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few craft kits from Baker Ross which I keep for rainy days or if the little ones are napping during the holidays (which they don't) ....window stickers to colour in/scratch art I normally buy these when they have a promotion on My older ones are happy making their own things with paper/pens/glue. Paper is what I get through the most and most of it ends up in my recycle bin!

It's day 3 here of the holidays and it's a quiet one for me as I only have 2 unlike yesterday where it was a full house. I find it's easier when there are more as they entertain each other.
    Pixie Dust

11. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm off this week.
    DD and I went to see Barbie yesterday ..i don't know what i was expecting, but it wasn't anything like it! Very good, but I'm slightly querying my entire existence now! I'm also slightly disturbed by the bleached blond hair and chiselled body of Ryan Gosling!
    Today we're heading off to London for a wander.

My holidays have got quieter as a pair of holiday only children are not coming, so although I'll miss them, they are a bit older, and really change the dynamics! However, it does mean that i won't go through nearly so much craft stuff i can't decide if not having them makes my life easier or harder! More children make the days go faster and everyone is always occupied. Less children mean calmer days and as they are generally my little ones they can just happily potter around! ( and give me time when they nap

13. Likes Pixie dust, Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you has fun in London ! I love visiting London.

People seem to either really love the Barbie movie or hate it. I am not too sure of the storyline to be fair.

Enjoy the rest of your week off.
    Pixie Dust

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    Hope you has fun in London ! I love visiting London.

People seem to either really love the Barbie movie or hate it. I am not too sure of the storyline to be fair.

Enjoy the rest of your week off.
    Thanks. We had a good wander around Covent Garden. I used to spend loads of time in London when i was a teen and loved Covent Garden then. Then DH was at uni in London (before he was a DH ) so again, spent plenty of time there. But now we live 'ooop north' its not quite so easy (or so cheap ) to jump on a train, DD is still getting her bearings before moving to London for college. I always forget now, how easy it is to walk around, rather than getting tubes!

Barbie movie ... 'Barbie and Ken are having the time of their lives in the colorful and seemingly perfect world of Barbie Land. However, when they get a chance to go to the real world, they soon discover the joys and perils of living among humans' not sure that really helps!

17. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Barbie movie ... 'Barbie and Ken are having the time of their lives in the colorful and seemingly perfect world of Barbie Land. However, when they get a chance to go to the real world, they soon discover the joys and perils of living among humans' not sure that really helps!
    My friend and I went to see the movie today to see what all the fuss is about, it's definitely a strange one but we did enjoy it.
    Pixie Dust

19. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So, I popped into The Works and bought a couple of craft kits for Christmas! So much for me not wanting to spend money on crafts! I was on holiday too, but we popped into Monmouth - the closest big high street to where we were staying. Have you been - it's lovely. Loads of charity shops too and I bought some beautiful lace doilies from one of them. DH and DD couldn't get their heads around that purchase, but I think they are lovely, open ended loose parts.

21. Likes Pixie dust, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you had a lovely holiday Maza.....I am excited as tomorrow I get to go to IKEA I am on a flying visit to my youngest who is moving, they have Ikea just up the road from them. I don't need anything major but have a list if a few bits for the house but I am sure I will leave with more than what's on my list.
    Pixie Dust

23. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That sounds lovely Maza and enjoy Pixie!

We're down in London moving half of DDs stuff in for college, and i 'accidentally' wandered into several charity shops. I resisted a 2ft tall dinosaur it was hard, but i managed it... mainly because my 2 dino fiends have moved on and everyone else appears to be tractor mad! There is also a works and poundland stores ... that's my treat for tomorrow before we leave to come home

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Loocyloo, look for a Flying Tiger shop too - I'm sure I remember you saying you didn't have one where you live. To be honest, I don't think they are as good as they used to be though - although maybe that's because I'm in a different town now and my old one was brill.

Pixie - did you buy lots at Ikea?

I called in at my local charity shop today. I just bought a book by Claudia Winkleman. No idea if it will be decent or not. I'm currently reading my second hand copy of Matthew Perry's book (Chandler, from Friends). It's an interesting read because I'm obsessed with Friends, but I'm not convinced it is that well written - it's a bit choppy and jumps about.

26. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooo Maza, I love flying tiger (but i agree, not as good as they used to be! ) I used to have one in my closest town, then a few years ago one opened in York. I usually pop in when I'm there, but i don't really go into York that much.

28. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pixie - did you buy lots at Ikea?
    No I only got a couple of things that I wanted for home, my friend came with me who also works in early years and we stood debating on the low small circular tray table they have, perfect mini tuff tray
    Pixie Dust

30. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done for not buying it!

I was on a dog walk a few weeks ago and someone had left a water tray outside their house - free to a good home. It was a bit tricky carrying it home and holding the dog lead, lol, but it was so worth it as it is one of my favourites! I keep walking down the same street hoping that they are giving something else away, but no luck yet!

32. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    No I only got a couple of things that I wanted for home, my friend came with me who also works in early years and we stood debating on the low small circular tray table they have, perfect mini tuff tray
    Lol ... i have resisted it several times DH said he didn't think it was sturdy enough and the supports could be dangerous! I bowed to his engineering wisdom .... and have asked him to make me one! ... probably won't happen but he would say anything to stop me buying half of ikea

34. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Lol ... i have resisted it several times DH said he didn't think it was sturdy enough and the supports could be dangerous! I bowed to his engineering wisdom .... and have asked him to make me one! ... probably won't happen but he would say anything to stop me buying half of ikea

To be honest I really didn't need it and I don't have the space either, I have 2 large tuff trays, one which is currently stored in the shed plus I have a square tray and a couple of the long thin trays which I hardly use.
    Pixie Dust

36. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning ! we are halfway through the holidays here and I am counting down to my week off

How is everyone? We have had a few trips out to the beach and local park. We have also had a couple of cases of chicken pox which seems never ending as one person has it then 2 weeks later another case.

Just wondering what you all do for paperwork ? accident forms/contracts etc as I use Pacey at the moment for my insurance and documentation then Tapestry for Learning journeys/observations but everything is up for renewal this month and I am trying to work out which is going to be most cost effective as Pacey are moving to Digital paperwork which can work out quite expensive when bought individually but they do a deal which includes Kinderly which is an online admin system so I then wouldn't need Tapestry which I don't use half as much as I used too.I do like having paper copies of forms. I know childcare.co.uk do insurance too what does everyone else do for paperwork etc ? In this current climate I am thinking which is going to be the most cost affective
    Pixie Dust

38. Likes loocyloo liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast