Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Availability Dilema

In September, I will have two days available.

I have a couple of prospective parents who have expressed an interest in those days (haven't met them yet, but seem decent on paper).

One of my current mums tonight asked me if she could possibly have one of the days that will become available. The problem is, I really need to fill both days.

Do I turn down my current mum and risk offending her, or do I let her have it and just wait to see if someone comes along who needs the one day?

I do have an unwritten rule of letting my current families have first refusal, but surely that can only work up to a point...

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

eeek!

Its really hard isn't it?

Could you take on one of the prospective parents, and then, when your EXISTING mum needs another day, you give yourself 'an exception/variation' so you have 4 little ones that day?

I too give current parents first refusal ... but equally, does she know that the prospective parents have yet to visit? I have been known to tell a current parent that some one has already enquired about the space, and if they don't want it, then the current parent is 'next in line' .

I've just had a prospective parent visit, and i'm pretty sure she's going to take the space ... but whilst she was here, one of my mums messaged to ask if I still had X available as her friend who had been interested, but then decided she wasn't, was now interested again ! so i've had to say sorry! mum replied and said 'snooze you lose' !!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks loocyloo. I've been totally upfront with the current parent, and she now understands. I did wonder about taking on the existing child as an exception once the other one had settled, but I don't want to promise that as I don't know the personalities of the new one and a new sibling who is lined up - they might not be conducive to me wanting four!

I've got phone calls with the two prospective mums this afternoon, and I have been going back and forth with the current mum, trying to get her to see my situation - and she kept offering different scenarios before she finally understood where I was coming from. She was actually really nice about it in the end, but oh dear, my head hurts with trying to sort the logistics of everything!

4. Likes Pixie dust, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just had a slightly different situation where one of my families had been saying for months that they would be upping their hours from September when the little one was entitled to 3 year old funding so had reserved the extra space (1 day) then out of the blue last week mum announced they were going to have a look around a nursery and that they wanted to share the funding between the 2 of us , this was after having turned away other people who would had wanted 2 days which I didn't have as had kept a day for the current child. Luckily I have managed to fill the space but it did make me think about how we do some much to support and help our families but some don't think twice about how their actions effect us!
    Pixie Dust

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Pixie, it's frustrating isn't it?

I've done that many times ... i decided from the last time that if a current parent wants to add a day 'in the future' ... then, they can pay a non refundable deposit to 'book' it! Just like a new parent! ... whether i stick to it or not is a another matter, but knowing I've made that decision is enough!

I usually ask for a deposit unless child is literally starting in the next couple of weeks .... had a parent visit today ... to start in Sept ... really ought to charge a deposit ... but i didn't mention it (although it's in my info sheet) so undecided!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Pixie that is so annoying. We are so vulnerable to that sort of thing. Well done for filling the space.

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post