Funding
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Funding

Post Thanks / Like

Default Funding

Does everyone expect to offer the new funding?

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It depends how much it is, and what restrictions are put on delivering it!

I will offer it for current children, but won't particularly use it as a selling point for future children.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I don't think we'll have much choice. If everyone else is offering it in our area, then why would parents choose someone who doesn't - even if they really like the provider, they just couldn't bring themselves to pay.

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If we charge separately for food, can we still put food down as an expense on our tax return?

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    If we charge separately for food, can we still put food down as an expense on our tax return?
    I would still put any food bought for childminding down as an expense regardless of if the child was funded or not.

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am waiting to hear what our LA our going to say re funding and what the rates will be. I currently have children who are funded but they are all ones that started as babies with me and have stayed. I may not have choice as I feel parents will go where they can get the funding and things have gone very quiet here.
    Pixie Dust

10. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I already offer funding so will carry on doing it.

I was talking to someone from our LA recently. They said their expectation is for the new 2 year old funding rate (from April) to be about £2 an hour more than our current 2 year old rate. Then the rate for under 2s will be about double the current 2 year old rate. But he said parents will need to fit the same criteria as they do for the current 30 hours funding, so both parents or a single parent working for 16 or more hours a week.
    If they only meet the criteria for the current 2 year old funding, that's what they'd get.

As I see it, we'd have qualifying under 2s on a really good rate. Then a drop in the rate for 2 year olds and another drop for 3 year olds. How's that going to work for childminders? In a nursery, under 2s would move into the 2 year old category and they could take on more under 2s. So they know they can always have X number of under 2s, Y number of 2 year olds and Z number of 3+, giving them a constant income.

But for childminders we can't do that. If I have 3 under 2s, they'll all become 2 year olds (so the rate drops) then 3 year olds (when the rate drops even more). I just can't see that being sustainable.

12. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Sadly, I don't think we'll have much choice. If everyone else is offering it in our area, then why would parents choose someone who doesn't - even if they really like the provider, they just couldn't bring themselves to pay.
    Yes that's how I feel too Maza!

14. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post