Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Encouraging self feeding

I have a 17 month old fairly new mindee. She can feed herself when it comes to finger foods.

I'm sure all of my others were spoon feeding themselves at t his age (messy, but no problem). This little one will not attempt to feed herself at all with a spoon at all. I know mum feeds her at home, but says she has started to give her a spoon to hold whilst she feeds her. If I'm totally honest, I don't think she 'expects' her to feed herself though, and I also strongly suspect she doesn't like mess and so would prefer to feed the little one herself. Maybe that's me being judgmental.

Any tips on how I can help little one to attempt to feed herself?

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd love some ideas too!

I have an 18mth old (had child since they were 9 mths old) and they will pick up and finger feed (dry or just buttered) toast, breadsticks and those vile organix crisp things! They can use a spoon and feed themselves a yogurt, but other than that, NOTHING! Child doesn't like touching any soft/ wet/ messy texture with their hand and just makes no effort at all with a spoon. Eats well when you feed them! I've tried loading the spoon and leaving it 'ready to go' ... nothing! I'm wondering next week about putting some food in a yogurt pot

Mum says child feeds themself at home, but is also with grandparents 3 days a week. A friend suggested it might be a cultural issue...

I've noticed recently that lots of young children really don't know how to feed themselves. We even had a child come to toddler's who didn't know how to bite a piece of toast as mum was/is cutting everything into bite sized pieces.

But then ... parents barely see a health visitor any more, so no advice/support on weaning. One of my new mums said the HV last came to see her when babe was 6 weeks old, and gave her a leaflet about weaning as she left saying 'but don't wean until at least 6 mths'.

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed recently that lots of young children really don't know how to feed themselves. We even had a child come to toddler's who didn't know how to bite a piece of toast as mum was/is cutting everything into bite sized pieces.
    I have noticed this too! I have a 3 year old who is like that, the other day the children were eating sandwiches and they tried to put the whole square in their mouth in one go and another child often arrives with their breakfast as they refuse to eat it at home, the other day it was a pain au chocolate cut up in to bite size pieces ! They are nearly 4 years old.
    Pixie Dust

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got 2 18 month olds who are fab at feeding themselves with a spoon, but then a 3 year old who was struggling to eat anything unless you put it in his mouth - including finger food.

The parents of the 18 month olds have encouraged them to self feed from a very early age. The mum of the 3 year old has found herself in a constant battle. She says every meal time is a nightmare. Her son won't sit down at the table so she runs round after him trying to feed him bits of food. He's also an incredibly fussy eater and refuses most things. When he's here he happily sits at the table and I've now got him eating finger food and yogurts by himself. His diet is still very limited though and he's very reluctant to try anything new. At least mum has agreed to drop the 3 8oz bottles of formula milk he was having every day!!

8. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post