Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nurseries and food

I know all nurseries are different, but does anyone know what a nursery does in terms of providing food for children who are allowed a very limited diet?

I have one who isn't allowed wheat, dairy, eggs, bread of any kind, processed food or tuna from a can. I am going round in circles with my own menu and so I have been looking online at nursery menus and this little one would barely be able to eat any of the meals on them. All the nurseries provide a vegetarian alternative (my mindee isn't vegetarian), but would they really go out of their way to cater for a child with so many restrictions to what they can eat? This child doesn't have allergies, by the way.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Maza I don't really know but I expect parents may be asked to provide their own food if the diet is that limited. I often look at local nurseries for meal ideas and am often surprised by some of the meals considering we are always being told to give children healthy options.
    Pixie Dust

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pixie. Yes, I also look at nirsery menus and am surprised at some of the things they serve. Sometimes, I think the food is leaning towards convenience/processed, and then other times I think that they have made it sound very sophisticated, and I wonder just how many of the children eat it! It's always a tricky balance.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got similar concerns about a child of mine who will be going to nursery in September.

They have a very limited diet and parents provide food. Mum is happy to carry on providing food when the child moves to nursery, but the food they eat needs heating and I can't imagine the nursery doing that (I know the nursery!)

I've told mum she needs to speak to them now rather than wait till September.

7. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I provide all food for regular and vegetarian children. For all medical conditions (dairy free, gluten free etc) I provide most food, with parents supplying some bits.

Anything else that is just parental preference, they have to provide.

A few of the local day nurseries/preschools I know, ask parents to provide all food/ snacks etc, for a whole day, and I don't think they heat food up.