Where's childcare heading?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where's childcare heading?

Heading or headed?! You cant move for articles about childcare - the extortionate cost, the closure of nurseries, the fall in childminder numbers. What do you see happening with childminders, nurseries and childcare?

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I honestly have no idea!

People will always need childcare, and by default some people will always prefer childminders over a nursery. I am a touch concerned about the thought that all childminders could be required to join an agency, with a huge increase in fees (but no Ofsted inspection). If that happens, then I am hoping that childcare.co.uk 'opens' an agency, and we can join that! As far as I can see, they already offer everything that an agency should do!

Childcare is expensive, but the only reason it is cheaper in other countries is that it is funded differently, people pay more tax and actually, early years workers (and the children themselves) are valued by the people in charge. Childcare has always been expensive, but with the rise in costs, it is becoming even more so. I also think that some parents want everything for nothing, and they don't value what they are given.

I'm just going to hang on in here for as long as I can, because I can't think of anything else I would want to do! I used to be a Nanny way back when, and I would possibly consider going back to it, but very little to no demand in my area, but I couldn't go back to having someone telling me what to do/where I could go etc!

3. Likes Pixie dust, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I honestly have no idea!

People will always need childcare, and by default some people will always prefer childminders over a nursery. I am a touch concerned about the thought that all childminders could be required to join an agency, with a huge increase in fees (but no Ofsted inspection). If that happens, then I am hoping that childcare.co.uk 'opens' an agency, and we can join that! As far as I can see, they already offer everything that an agency should do!

Childcare is expensive, but the only reason it is cheaper in other countries is that it is funded differently, people pay more tax and actually, early years workers (and the children themselves) are valued by the people in charge. Childcare has always been expensive, but with the rise in costs, it is becoming even more so. I also think that some parents want everything for nothing, and they don't value what they are given.

I'm just going to hang on in here for as long as I can, because I can't think of anything else I would want to do! I used to be a Nanny way back when, and I would possibly consider going back to it, but very little to no demand in my area, but I couldn't go back to having someone telling me what to do/where I could go etc!
    I know I read that the (guy who runs Tiney?) wants all childminders to join them as an agency. I don't like the sound of that AT ALL!!

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is worrying times for everyone...where I live there has never been a huge demand but enough to keep me busy but I have noticed things have slowed down and not getting as many calls as I did. I also have friends who work in nurseries and they have said business is a little quieter than normal for this time of year, so quiet that they are cutting staff hours.

I do not want to join an agency either so hopefully it won't become mandatory. I am hoping to continue in this job until I retire (I have a few years to go yet as in my 50s)
    like Loocyloo I like being in control of what I do and how I do it! I have always worked in early years so I don't know anything else, I have been a nanny and worked in nurseries doing various roles including management.
    Pixie Dust

7. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I know I read that the (guy who runs Tiney?) wants all childminders to join them as an agency. I don't like the sound of that AT ALL!!
    I've read about 'tiney childminders' and didn't like what I read! Seemingly no understanding that some people might have been doing this job for 'a while' and actually know what they are doing!

For a while I thought they were linked to tinies nanny agency, but no!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    It is worrying times for everyone...where I live there has never been a huge demand but enough to keep me busy but I have noticed things have slowed down and not getting as many calls as I did. I also have friends who work in nurseries and they have said business is a little quieter than normal for this time of year, so quiet that they are cutting staff hours.
    We've got the exact opposite here. There are so many enquiries and not enough childminders to offer the spaces. Even though all my advertising says i have no vacancies, I still get several enquiries a week.
    It means I've been able to be quite picky about who I've taken on. If the hours haven't been perfect for me I've been able to say no because I know someone will come along to fit in with the hours i want to offer.

10. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We've got a few childminders locally who are registered with agencies. I have to say, it's worked well for them. Registration was quick and easy, they are happy with the support they've got, all their policies and paperwork is done for them. They're happy not to be registered with Ofsted and I can see the advantages for them.

But it wouldn't work for me and I can't see any advantage to existing childminders if we were forced to join agencies. Especially not as it would cost us money to do the things we already do ourselves.

The aim of it all is to save parents money. The problem is, if I was forced to join an agency I'd put my fees up to cover agency fees!

If we were forced to join an agency as they currently work, I'd leave childminding. I'm close enough to retirement age that I can see the finish line in the distance. If I had to join an agency, I'd just runs towards it a lot quicker

12. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Childcare and the subject of ratios is due to be debated in Parliament this afternoon.

I've finished work for the day so I'm tuning in to hear what they've got to say.

14. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ooooo ... anything interesting?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i too, can see the advantage for new childminders to sign up with an agency, but not those of us who have been doing it a while!

I was just looking at 'tineys' ... no mention of how an existing childminder could join!!! How can everyone have the same policies etc as we all work differently/have different settings etc! CHILDCARE.CO.UK ... we need you to set up an agency if it becomes the way to go!

17. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ooooo ... anything interesting?
    It was all about nurseries really, with only the odd mention of childminders.

Some of the arguments against relaxing ratios in nurseries were quite sound:
    it won't reduce costs for parents
    staff are already stressed so asking them to take on more children isn't going to help
    not all settings will have enough floor space to take on more children
    safety
    quality of care
    comparing English rations to other countries is a flawed argument it's not comparing like for like

It was suggested the government looks at:
    funding
    raising the profile of the childcare sector
    looking at ways to encourage recruitment and retention of staff
    creating a clear path for CPD and career progression

The government's response was as vague and non-committal as ever

19. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

To tell the truth I haven’t heard anything about this, last thing I heard they were proposing to change the ratios.
    Most people won’t get a pension until 65-67 so we have to keep slogging on ( unless you have lots of money and pensions). I can’t see myself as a Childminder in 3 years time though.

Changing the subject does anyone claim inclusion funding? How does it work is it termly? Like the 2,3,4 yr old universal funding I do?

21. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Changing the subject does anyone claim inclusion funding? How does it work is it termly? Like the 2,3,4 yr old universal funding I do?

I haven't as we have to apply once a term then it goes to a panel to decide if that child can have the extra funding plus they have strict rules about what it can and can't be used for. I think every LA has their own criteria etc so yours may be different.
    Pixie Dust

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

sorry, i don't know anything about inclusion funding.

sounds like a riveting listen Mouse!

I caught something on Radio 4 last night about 8.30ish? talking about all sorts of random things linked to parental leave etc, and it touched on childcare and basically said that it needs to be funded better. But i couldn't really hear as had a car full of chattering teenagers! BBC Radio 4 - Analysis, Why do we assume women care?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a riveting listen Mouse!
    It was very long and didn’t really say anything new

26. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

I claimed it a few years ago for a child I was looking after.
    Back then I had to claim each term and the application went to a panel to approve. To be honest, after the first term, it was pretty straight forward as I didn’t have to prove everything from scratch, just confirm everything was ongoing. It did involve a lot of paperwork though and I had to track their progress, report on the effect of the funding etc.

Our LA has changed the way it does the applications now though, so I’m not sure what the current process is.