Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How is everyone?

How is everyone doing?

I had a lovely week away last week, we caught up with some friends we hadn't seen for a long time too. I can't believe I have already been back at work for a week!
    This week has been quite quiet as have some on holiday plus one off due to illness too, we haven't done much as everyone seemed to be content playing out in the garden making dens.

I have been trying to get organised for September as I have a new starter plus a few are increasing their hours. We still have another couple of weeks before the children go back to school. I always treat September like the start of the year, I like to have a declutter and get organised for the term/year ahead. I started childminding in the September so insurance/Ofsted etc always gets renewed this time of year and this is when I reflect on how things are going and if I need to change anything. My focus I think is communication with parents as I have been using an online learning journey which I haven't been using as much this last year so not sure if it's actually worth paying the money for. I know a lot of childminder use WhatsApp to send photos etc .

Have a good day and enjoy the weekend !
    Pixie Dust

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    How is everyone doing?

I had a lovely week away last week, we caught up with some friends we hadn't seen for a long time too. I can't believe I have already been back at work for a week!
    This week has been quite quiet as have some on holiday plus one off due to illness too, we haven't done much as everyone seemed to be content playing out in the garden making dens.

I have been trying to get organised for September as I have a new starter plus a few are increasing their hours. We still have another couple of weeks before the children go back to school. I always treat September like the start of the year, I like to have a declutter and get organised for the term/year ahead. I started childminding in the September so insurance/Ofsted etc always gets renewed this time of year and this is when I reflect on how things are going and if I need to change anything. My focus I think is communication with parents as I have been using an online learning journey which I haven't been using as much this last year so not sure if it's actually worth paying the money for. I know a lot of childminder use WhatsApp to send photos etc .

Have a good day and enjoy the weekend !
    Hi Pixie, OK here. Wondering how the cost of living crisis is going to effect childminders and nurseries.

I like September, feels like a fresh new start. I have a new starter too, always get nervous!

What online system do you use? Mine is expensive and i wonder how much benefit parents get from it.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never used an online system they seem very expensive for childminders.i do paper learning journeys and WhatsApp parents with photos throughout the day so they can see what their child is up to, they really like this.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good morning.

I use 2 simple for basic obs, that I then email to parents every couple of months. It will compile reports/data etc, but nothing else. I use paper diaries and what's app for parents. They like both these methods of communication.

I can't believe it's another week ... is this week 5 of the school holidays? I've lost track! I had a parent message last week to say they were still away, and so, could child do extra days this week? I said they were welcome to do extra days this week, but they would be charged for! Radio Silence! Guessing that wasn't the answer the parent wanted!

Have fun everyone. I'm not actually sure what I'm doing or when this week!

5. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon everyone!

I can’t believe there are only 2 weeks left of the school holidays. I’m not sure where the time has gone.

This week we’ve got a baby here for holiday cover. He’s a lovely little thing and settled right in. The other children have spent most of the day fussing over him

After a busy week last week, we haven’t got much planned for this week. I did have a reminder that our library books are due back, so we’ll have a wander to the library later in the week. Apart from that we’ll be hoping the rain stays always so we can spend all day playing in the garden.

7. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m starting to think 🤔 what are we going to do today.
    Yesterday after finishing one activity, making dog biscuits ( child and grandparents request) it’s what we doing now? It’s not that I haven’t a houseful of resources 😂it’s like that all the time when the two big ones are here can’t think for themselves.Does anyone else find that? Use your imaginations 😀

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Dragonfly I feel your pain... I always find that once they've gone to school, the children seem to lose any ability to think for themselves/entertain themselves, and want/need activity after activity presented to them!

One of my schoolies has been with me since a baby, and several days a week after school, so he's fine at sorting himself out, but others need guidance! One year I ended up writing a pile of activities on lolly sticks and putting them in a cup ... they could pick one out every hour, or 2, but then a 2 hr wait .... ranged from 'make a junk animal', to 'read a book and create an artwork related' to 'how tall a lego model can you make?'etc!

11. Likes Dragonfly, Pixie dust liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

The lolly stick idea is really good Loocyloo. Thank you

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Dragonfly I feel your pain... I always find that once they've gone to school, the children seem to lose any ability to think for themselves/entertain themselves, and want/need activity after activity presented to them!

That's sadly so true...I try and have 1 or 2 planned activities everyday, normally after lunch it's some sort of craft activity while the littles have a nap. We do try and be outside a lot as everyone is a lot more content outdoors, we are lucky that we have a beach within walking distance plus a large playing field swell as my garden.

I’ve never used an online system they seem very expensive for childminders.i do paper learning journeys and WhatsApp parents with photos throughout the day so they can see what their child is up to, they really like this
    Dragonfly I used to do my own paper learning journeys but it was getting more expensive printing out photos at home so that's why I changed to online. Ofsted apparently don't even look at them anymore as Learning Journeys are not a legal requirement but I do think they are a lovely thing for parents to look back at and I find it very helpful to have the learning and development written down.
    Pixie Dust

15. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Having a week off this week and not doing too much. I need to clear 2 spare bedrooms ready for my daughter and her husband and 2 boys to move in for a few months but the weather is still so nice I don’t want to be inside yet. Only two days next week as nobody here Thursday and Friday then back to school next week

17. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know this is probably not the right section of the forum to ask in ..BUT!
    My laptop is very old and is basically about to die!
    I've got to buy a new one (and have DS looking for me)

.... can I put it through as an expense? I really only use it to do work related stuff! I do use it for online shopping and storing photos. I don't watch TV or anything on it, nor do I 'game'.

Update ....DS has found what he thinks I need on Argos ... but it's not available for home delivery, nor available to collect in store ... ANYWHERE !!!! So why not just say it is OUT OF STOCK?!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d put Half 3/4 through Loocyloo.

Yes, why not say out of stock.... annoying!

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I’d put Half 3/4 through Loocyloo.

Yes, why not say out of stock.... annoying!
    Thanks.... that what I did! Almost got it all set up! X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we're into the final week of the holidays. It's gone so quickly. I didn't have any time off during the 6 weeks and thought it would drag, but it hasn't at all. It could be because I've had a few extra holiday children so I've been kept busy

When are your schools back? Our term starts on Thursday but I think most schools are reopening on Monday. We've got a couple of children leaving for school this week and our holiday only children are finishing as well, so it's going to be a week of leaving parties and cake! I'm looking forward to a rest next week

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Evening all!

I can't believe it is almost the end of the holidays either! We are back NEXT wednesday, and time has flown, and as usual, we haven't done half the things we wanted to, even though the weather has been grand, and we've been really busy!

I'm looking forward to some peace once the big ones go back to school, and my little ones can just potter around uninterrupted.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, that’s the holidays over for me!

The last holiday child finished today and the last school leaver had their last day today as well. I’m off tomorrow, then from Monday it’s back to normal with just the little ones. I have to say, I have enjoyed having the slightly older ones here. They’re still only 5 and 6 year olds, but they played really nicely together and weren’t too old to play with the youngest ones…and I didn’t have endless moans of “we’re bored!” They still found everything exciting

26. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1 little one tomorrow ( it's a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG day ) and then a houseful on tuesday before back to school on wednesday!

Looking forward to getting some sort of routine in place

28. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to get into routines again.All back to school here Monday and new baby to settle in 🤔