Flexibility- would you do this??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Flexibility- would you do this??

Child been with me a year, all is good. Child attends 6 hours. Parent decided a couple of months ago that on "some" days they need a later finish by one hour (personal reasons rather than work) so asked if they could flex an hour but they tell me at drop off. This was ok at first and i agreed to it. However now i have new children starting and this is difficult because i can never fully plan my day in advance because ive no idea what time this child will finish. Is it ok to tell them we either need to contract the new finish time or stop doing it?
    Advantages to me are it makes me extra money because all the later finishes soon add up.
    Disadvantages are i cant plan properly and get new children in to a set routine.
    Also i think they are taking the P1ss a bit - either they need it or they dont and if they do it should be contracted.
    What would you do?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be honest and tell them the flexible arrangement can't carry on now you've got other families to consider.

If they want to guarantee the extra hour is available, they need to add it to the contract. If they're happy to take the chance, they can ask in the morning, but if you've got something else planned you won't be able to do it. Then stick to that - if they ask and it doesn't work for you, say no. They'll either soon realise they need to contract the extra hour, or they'll stop doing it.

I used to have a family who would often message me a couple of hours before pick up to ask if their child could stay an extra hour. They were quite open about the fact they were in the pub and wanted to have an extra hour!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I would be honest and tell them the flexible arrangement can't carry on now you've got other families to consider.

If they want to guarantee the extra hour is available, they need to add it to the contract. If they're happy to take the chance, they can ask in the morning, but if you've got something else planned you won't be able to do it. Then stick to that - if they ask and it doesn't work for you, say no. They'll either soon realise they need to contract the extra hour, or they'll stop doing it.

I used to have a family who would often message me a couple of hours before pick up to ask if their child could stay an extra hour. They were quite open about the fact they were in the pub and wanted to have an extra hour!
    Thanks Mouse, you make good points. Even if i have something planned and its not convenient i end up bending to it because i feel guilty saying no.

Haha least they were honest!

Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with mouse.