OFSTED Inspection due
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OFSTED Inspection due

I'm anticipating an inspection as its been a while since my last....

Can I have some pointers and reminders about what I need please? Has anyone been through one recently?

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had mine back in September, just as the new guidelines came into play.

I can't really remember! The inspector asked to see all my statutory paperwork, asked lots of safeguarding questions, and asked me about the children. She expected me to know them back to front and inside out. They like to do a 'learning walk' which is basically a look around whilst you explain what activities you have available and why/ what you aim for the children to learn from that experience. I did have a planned activity, and I can't remember if I did it, as the children were high as kites and very giggly, so I abandoned most of my plans and we went outside!
    When my inspector rang she asked me lots about the children and told me what she'd want to see. I asked if I could send her my 'SEF', which I did, and she'd obviously read, as she asked about a couple of things that I'd said in it. I feel this helped as it meant she had an overview of me, my setting and how I do things, without me having to try and explain it to her with the children around, and have to make sure I didn't forget anything! I am aware though, that not all inspectors will want to see/read one.
    Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I had mine back in September, just as the new guidelines came into play.

I can't really remember! The inspector asked to see all my statutory paperwork, asked lots of safeguarding questions, and asked me about the children. She expected me to know them back to front and inside out. They like to do a 'learning walk' which is basically a look around whilst you explain what activities you have available and why/ what you aim for the children to learn from that experience. I did have a planned activity, and I can't remember if I did it, as the children were high as kites and very giggly, so I abandoned most of my plans and we went outside!
    When my inspector rang she asked me lots about the children and told me what she'd want to see. I asked if I could send her my 'SEF', which I did, and she'd obviously read, as she asked about a couple of things that I'd said in it. I feel this helped as it meant she had an overview of me, my setting and how I do things, without me having to try and explain it to her with the children around, and have to make sure I didn't forget anything! I am aware though, that not all inspectors will want to see/read one.
    Good luck.
    Thanks loocyloo, are we still supposed to do a SEF? Do we do this online somewhere? God i cant remember, it was all years ago now for me!

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Thanks loocyloo, are we still supposed to do a SEF? Do we do this online somewhere? God i cant remember, it was all years ago now for me!
    Welcome, no, we're not expected to do a SEF. I've just always kept mine and updated it every few months! Mine is a word document with an 'all about me, all about my setting, working with parents and professionals and what I want to do next! ' sections
    .. although I slightly reworded the various sections to match whatever the EYFS inspection areas are!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Welcome, no, we're not expected to do a SEF. I've just always kept mine and updated it every few months! Mine is a word document with an 'all about me, all about my setting, working with parents and professionals and what I want to do next! ' sections
    .. although I slightly reworded the various sections to match whatever the EYFS inspection areas are!
    Thanks loocyloo.