Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default INSPECTION NEWS!

Well ....

Back towards the end of the summer holidays I had a phone call from Ofsted, wanting to come and do my inspection. She was very nice, and said she wouldn't come in the holidays, as she was sure I was out and about with the children, and that I had older school children around. She said she'd phone when the schools went back. ... eventually she rang, and after a discussion about my children, it was agreed she wouldn't come on the day that my 'screamer' was here, as even if she was settling, having a strange person around wouldn't help. I was really pleased, because I thought some inspectors would want to come and see how I managed everyone with a screamer!

The inspector came, and we had a wonderful morning, with the children absolutely full of beans and giggles, and the attention span of gnats! Story and song time, which can usually go on for a good half hour, took 10 minutes maximum! No one really settled to any activity. BUT they did all role play together and were just lovely. I suggested they went outside, where they spent a long time giving the inspector plates and cups of sand to eat!

She asked me lots of questions about the children - we didn't really do a joint observation on a child ( that I was aware of as such, but we did talk about what they were doing, and what I plans I had in place ) Neither did we particularly do a learning walk, but I talked about the activities that were out/available, and why. She asked a lot of safeguarding questions, and also wanted to know what I had done during the pandemic/how I felt it had impacted on my children and families and what I was doing moving forward.

I have a pretty comprehensive SEF which I had sent the inspector, and it was obvious from her questions that she had read it. She looked through my portfolio with policies etc in it, Risk assessments, and the childrens LJ. She asked if I was going to continue with using 2simple ( the online observation app i use ) and I said yes, I liked it, parents liked it, and I didn't particularly find it took that much of my time. We talked about the 'new' EYFS, and the different development guides available. She liked my photo books of the past year/summer holidays, and that the children were keen to show her them.

I am slow in letting everyone know, because it was only last week that my inspection report was published and that I am 'allowed' to say how I was graded. I didn't tell anyone in advance that I was being inspected, as it was very soon after the new EYFS had become statutory, and I had read so many different 'YOU MUST DO THIS/THAT/ETC' that I didn't want to get worried, as actually, i had decided that things hadn't particularly changed and I wasn't going to change how I did ANYTHING!

However, I am pleased to say that I was graded OUTSTANDING for the 3rd time! and my next inspection will be in 6 years !!!!

2. Likes Pixie dust, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Loocyloo! That's fabulous news and very well deserved!

Gosh, what a relief to get it over with. Did you sleep the night before? Do you mind me asking how long she stayed?

Oh I'm so pleased for you!!!!!

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent news Loocyloo

It's always good to hear how inspections have gone and to pick up some handy hints!

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Congratulations Loocyloo! That's fabulous news and very well deserved!

Gosh, what a relief to get it over with. Did you sleep the night before? Do you mind me asking how long she stayed?

Oh I'm so pleased for you!!!!!
    Thank you.

She arrived about 9am, and was gone by midday! She said that a childminders inspection should not take more than 3 hours from arrival to departure! and that is including time to talk/feedback at the end. To be honest, I did sleep! I had been waiting for what felt like weeks for her to come, so by the time I knew she was coming, I was totally past caring in many senses, and just had a 'what will be, will be' feeling about it!

8. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Excellent news Loocyloo

It's always good to hear how inspections have gone and to pick up some handy hints!
    Thank you

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations great news!

Interesting that you sent your SEF and that they had read it, I have stopped doing one since Ofsted stopped their one but I actually found it a really helpful document to use. Maybe I will have to make my own one version.
    Pixie Dust

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pixie I was thinking the same about SEF.

It was a pain to do at the time, but it dd mean that you could mention everything that you would forget to mention on the day.

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s amazing!! Well done you and lovely to not have an inspection for 6 years too

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post

Interesting that you sent your SEF and that they had read it, I have stopped doing one since Ofsted stopped their one but I actually found it a really helpful document to use. Maybe I will have to make my own one version.
    I created my own, using a combination of the old headings and then the areas that you are inspected on. Mine is about 5 years old now, and every few months I have a look, and if I want to add anything I put the date and the comment in the relevant section. For example I have a whole chunk talking about lockdown/ how it was affecting me/ the children etc.
    It did mean I didn't need to remember to tell the inspector how I do settling in, or 'all about me' as it is already there!

17. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post

Thank you xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Pixie I was thinking the same about SEF.

It was a pain to do at the time, but it dd mean that you could mention everything that you would forget to mention on the day.
    Thank you. My SEF is about 20 odd pages long now! but I won't forget anything!

20. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    That’s amazing!! Well done you and lovely to not have an inspection for 6 years too
    Thank you xx

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

A very big Well done loocyloo

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Loocyloo! It's nice to hear that it was a pretty pain free experience and the inspector liked what you were doing. It's interesting to hear about your SEF. I do so much CPD and change little things as I go along but don't particularly record it. If Ofsted are open to looking at them, it seems like a worth while thing to do.

24. Likes Maza liked this post